Conext xw Hybrid invert/charger

maan
maan Registered Users Posts: 10
Hello everyone

I have returned the Silent SP4024 inverter/charger for those who has read my last post 2 weeks ago. I am looking at the Conext XW 4548, 120/240-60 Hybrid and Conext XW 4024, 120/240-60 Hybrid inverter/charger. What I like it because it's capable of being grid interactive and grid independent.

The system is as follows:

3000 watts, 12 Grape panels, 250 watts each, VOV. 37.7, VMP. 30.7, ISC. 8.72, IMP. 8.15.
2 modules in series.
6 strings in parallel.
Midnite classic 150.
Battery bank: 8 L16P Trojan, 6 volt @48/24v.

The Conext invert/charger 24v and 48v costs are the same. Should I get the 24v invert/charger and brake up the battery bank into two strings in series and linked in parallel @ 24v and 420AH each or go with the Conext invert/charger 48v and one string of batteries in series @ 48v and 420AH?

Is the Conext invert/charger a good choice?

Thank you fro your comments in advance.

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Re: Conext xw Hybrid invert/charger

3000W / 24V = 125A, so you'll need another charge controller if you go for a 24V bank. Given that size system 48V seems like a much better choice.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    3000W / 24V = 125A, so you'll need another charge controller if you go for a 24V bank. Given that size system 48V seems like a much better choice.

It's worse than that: the 4024 will pull 167 Amps at full power.
    I don't know why people don't maximize GTI's: you get a 4.5 kW inverter, put 4.5 kW of panel on it. That would also mean at least 450 Amp hours of battery @ 48 Volts.

3000 Watts of panel on 48 Volts would be about 48 Amps. Same array on 24 Volts would be about 96 Amps.

I'd pick the 48 Volt system here. And increase the array size if at all possible. 420 Amp hours of battery will be marginal.
  • maan

If I drop down to 2500w the one midnite classic 150 should be enough, going with the 24v invert/charges with two strings of 24v linked in parallel @24v battery bank wouldn't it double my AH from 420AH to 840 AH? Is this more beneficial than having the 48v @ 420AH battery bank or having double the voltage of 48v is more beneficial?
    Is going with Conext invert/charger a good choice rather than the more popular invert/chargers such as outback, SMA and magnasine? Thanks for responding
  • maan

I am limited to roof space to 12 panels of 250w each.
    If I drop down to 2500w the one midnite classic 150 should be enough, going with the 24v invert/charges with two strings of 24v linked in parallel @24v battery bank wouldn't it double my AH from 420AH to 840 AH? Is this more beneficial than having the 48v @ 420AH battery bank or having double the voltage of 48v is more beneficial?
    Is going with Conext invert/charger a good choice rather than the more popular invert/chargers such as outback, SMA and magnasine? Thanks for responding
  • Cariboocoot
    maan wrote: »

For one thing the 48 Volt battery bank will have no parallel connections. Avoid them if you can because they are possible trouble (although the risk is not high with two on 24 Volts). For another it is more efficient than 24 Volts due to the lower current involved for the same Watts.

That is a "it depends" answer.
    Outback makes the best inverters, but the 8kW Radian is the only one most would choose for grid-tie. You can use the GVFX series, but they are 120 VAC output so you'd end up with two to make 240 VAC and feed both legs. Messy and expensive for the application.
    SMA inverters are great, but the Sunny Island is also expensive compared to the Conext and also only outputs 120 VAC and does not grid tie.
    Magnum does not make a GTI, but they are good quality inverters.

I think you should do two things:
    1). Decide if you really will need the ability to grid-tie.
    2). Determine exactly how much power you'll need in Watt hours per day so that you can get the right size batteries, array, controller, and inverter.
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

"Magnum does not make a GTI"
    I thought I had heard of them having a grid tie option when I was looking. I think it was the MS-PAE series. Was I misinformed or am I reading your post incorrectly? Did not mean to hijack the thread but if my SW craps out the Magnum was a contender for replacement and I am curious.
  • Cariboocoot
    stmar wrote: »
    "Magnum does not make a GTI"
    I thought I had heard of them having a grid tie option when I was looking. I think it was the MS-PAE series. Was I misinformed or am I reading your post incorrectly? Did not mean to hijack the thread but if my SW craps out the Magnum was a contender for replacement and I am curious.

Thanks for jogging my failing memory.
    I had to go looking for it: the Magnum MSH4024RE http://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-msh4024re-hybrid-inverter.html
  • stmar

I went back and checked my notes and a salesman specifically said the MS4024PAE could be grid tied. I asked the question directly because I could not find documentation that stated that capability. What do you think? It is strange that no sales person, and I contacted a few, said anything about the Hybrid MSH4024RE unless they were trying to tout the 240 volt capability and the Hybrid is 120 volt. Hopefully by the time I need a new one I will have it figured out, lol. I really like my SW4024 and hate to have to change it out so crossing my fingers that the rebuild lasts a few years.
  • Cariboocoot
    I went back and checked my notes and a salesman specifically said the MS4024PAE could be grid tied. I asked the question directly because I could not find documentation that stated that capability. What do you think? It is strange that no sales person, and I contacted a few, said anything about the Hybrid MSH4024RE unless they were trying to tout the 240 volt capability and the Hybrid is 120 volt. Hopefully by the time I need a new one I will have it figured out, lol. I really like my SW4024 and hate to have to change it out so crossing my fingers that the rebuild lasts a few years.

I have never known any Magnum to be grid-tie capable until the MSH4024 (which is very new). The salesmen probably are confused because the MS-PAE can be AC coupled. This is like using the Sunny Island in that it can be used on systems with GTI's to provide back-up power, but the inverter itself does not sell back to the grid the way a hybrid unit does. I sure hope no one tried to do a GT connection with a non-GT inverter 'cause the sparks will fly.

And yes the MSH inverter is 120 VAC only, as is the Sunny Island. Curiously, as I read through the documents I don't see anything about selling to the grid; only that grid or gen can be used in supplement to the inverter output (like gen support function). Frankly Magnum's documentation leaves something to be desired.
  • stmar

Maybe since I told the sales person that I was not selling back to the grid that is why he said it could be used in conjunction with the grid. Could that be the explanation? I really am sorry for hijacking the thread but this could be useful knowledge down the road.
  • Cariboocoot
    Maybe since I told the sales person that I was not selling back to the grid that is why he said it could be used in conjunction with the grid. Could that be the explanation? I really am sorry for hijacking the thread but this could be useful knowledge down the road.

Could be.
    By the terminology we use here there's a difference between "grid-tied" and "grid-interactive" which is what the Magnums' function would seem to be. We only use the term "hybrid" to indicated a battery-based grid-tied inverter; one that functions as a GTI with sell-back but also has battery back-up ability. It isn't the first time we've had difficulty with terminology and surely won't be the last.
    Perhaps someone from the company will see this and clarify. Perhaps not.
  • stmar

I think you are correct, terminology could be the culprit. I am guilty of using "grid-tied" for my system when in fact it is "grid-interactive" since I have no intention of selling power back to the grid. Hopefully I understand the SW4024 enough to keep it from selling or trying to power the whole community during an outage, lol.