Correct equalize volts ?

Options
Buddy Paul
Buddy Paul Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi,we have a Victron Energy 24v 2000 watt combi inverter ,with built in 50 amp charge,were using six 170 watt 24v solar panels,with a 60 amp morning star,tristar charge controller,also have a wind turbine 1k,,,,,,all seems fine,but when our system goes to equalize,using the mains generator at 50hz,the highest voltage we see 28,6,,,,when the the extra power kicks in from the turbine or a good sun input hits the panels,it increases to 30,,,31 volts,,then appears the victron shuts it back to 28,6 volts,,it will keep equalizing untill the 4 or 8 hour time is reached,but i have noticed that when the mains in put is disconnected it will rise to 30 or 31 volts the batteries are then fizzing nicely,,,,,could any tell me the correct equalization voltage, and or help me with resetting the victron to increase the voltage whilst on mains charge, were using Hoppecke 2v 960 ah c100 lead acid batteries,in a 24v system,,,thanks guys an gals,,all the best Buddy ..

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Correct equalize volts ?

Hi, welcome.

Quick answer: 30-32 v on a 24 v system. It would seem that you have something set to do a Automatic EQ cycle ( controllers ). Generally here most of us do or EQ cycles manually. The EQ is use to correct a problem, doing a EQ re-combines the sulfate from the surface of the plates and cleans the pores of the plates and opens new receptors and restores capacity. To verify that a EQ is necessary the SG is checked with a hydrometer.

If the Charge Controllers are doing the EQ automatically the Inverter must be put into a EQ cycle by you manually unless they can signal each other to all start at the same time. The Victron EQ settings should be set to the same voltage level and time. I do not know about how exactly to tell you to do that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Can you give us a link to the exact battery type you are using?

In Europe, folks there tend to use more AGM/VRLA "Sealed" batteries that we do in the States (we are cheap :p).

In general, it is not good to equalize/gas a sealed battery very much (if at all).

If these are non-sealed, flooded cell batteries, you really only want to equalize when the cells are not "balanced" (some cells are lower charged than others in a string). Use a good quality Hydrometer and measure the speciific gravity of each cell (temperature corrected/logged) and see what the battery is telling you.

In general, you don't want to "equalize" a battery at more than ~2.5 to5% of the 20 hour battery capacity (i.e., a 100 AH battery, equalize current is ~2.5 to 5 amps). The current is a good way to tell if you have the correct equalization current. Too much current and you can overheat the battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

You mentioned a wind turbine... in addition to the equipment you mentioned do you also have a dump load controller for the turbine?
    If so, you need to make sure that the dump load controller is either disconnected or set to EQ at the same time the Victron does its EQ.

I think you can change the Victron's EQ voltage through the dip switches. And definitely through the PC software, but you need a special USB cable for that. Those batteries seem like OPzS flooded batteries, EQ at 2.6V per cell, so 31.2V.