bergey XL 1

Options
91winsun
91winsun Registered Users Posts: 14
do many people you know buy these....they look like they have finally changed the form a little bit.
this pic shows something I wouldnt do...http://www.bergey.com/products/wind-turbines/bergey-excel-1
the house photo at the bottom..
they look solid but the blades are blah.... what is the cost now.??

Comments

• TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: bergey XL 1

Sweet they are finally using the MidNite setup so 12-48V battery bank supported. Used to only be 24V to my knowledge.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

In addition to the turbine and tower, be sure that you figgure out and understand how the controller works and how it will interact with the rest of your power system.

The Bergey XL 1 has a controller which diverts from the DC bus. This can affect solar or generator charging and equalizing. The XL 1 controller has a PV controller circuit too but it is not MPPT.

They may have made some changes since they manufactured the one I worked with. Don't go for it unless you do your homework and find that it is a fit for your needs.

-Alex
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    In addition to the turbine and tower, be sure that you figgure out and understand how the controller works and how it will interact with the rest of your power system.

The Bergey XL 1 has a controller which diverts from the DC bus. This can affect solar or generator charging and equalizing. The XL 1 controller has a PV controller circuit too but it is not MPPT.

They may have made some changes since they manufactured the one I worked with. Don't go for it unless you do your homework and find that it is a fit for your needs.

-Alex

Oops. I wrote the above before the manual finished downloading. I see they now include the Midnite Classic as a controller. Still do all of your homework but be sure to spend time looking into the Classic too. I have no experience using an MPPT controller with wind.
  • 91winsun
    91winsun Registered Users Posts: 14
    Options

they are 4000$. What a *** joke. Hey Bergey...ever wonder why you dont sell very many??? They probably survive by the double price ,grant money
    and Aid agency river.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

It seems, for the most part, the "turbines" are the "cheaper" part of a wind system. Tower, cabling, battery bank, labor, maintenance all add up quickly.

Throw in a Midnite Classic wind power controller just pushes the price even higher (although, during testing Midnite found upwards of 3x more energy collected with an MPPT charge controller--Which makes a lot of sense. Alternators are not well matched to charging a voltage source for optimum output).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

But I'd rather have a Bergy on a 100' tower vs an Air or Wisper......no?
  • Traveling
    Traveling Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Does anyone know of non-Bergey controller that will work the 24v Bergey XL 1?

My Bergey controller is not working and Bergey wants $1,000 for a new one. I didn't particularly like the Bergey controller as it seemed rather basic (idiot lights, push-and-hold button on the back).

I thought the MidNite Classic might work with it but that is only with the new 48v models according to MidNite Solar.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

did anybody come straight out and say it won't work with the 24v model and why as i don't know of a reason it wouldn't work with it off hand?
  • Traveling
    Traveling Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    did anybody come straight out and say it won't work with the 24v model and why as i don't know of a reason it wouldn't work with it off hand?

I sent a inquiry to MidNite Solar (see below) and a Technical Support Manager replied:

"That version of the Bergey turbine is to low a voltage to work with the Classic. Only the newer models work with the Classic. You could check with Bergey to see if they will offer a Stator upgrade and then it would work with a Classic

Ryan"

On 8/6/2013 3:56 PM, midni9@server.midnitesolar.com wrote:
    TECH SUPPORT INQUIRY - MIDNITE

USER INFO
    Model Num: MidNite Solar Classic 250

MESSAGE - I have a Bergey XL 1 wind turbine, two wire 24v dc. I want to replace
    the Bergey controller with a MidNite Classic 250. I have downloaded
    the manual but I only see one paragraph about using this for a wind
    turbine. Do I need anyting other than the Classic controller? How
    about a stop switch? Will the Classic slow the turbine in high winds?
    Control a dump load? My supplier, ___________, does not know
    the answers to these questions. Please let me know what I need.
    Thank you very much.
  • wrdaigle
    wrdaigle Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm in the same boat. I have a older 24v xl.1 with a working turbine and burnt out controller. I talked with the tech support guy at Bergey and asked him about using a classic. He said the old style controller was my only option. I ended up moth balling the whole setup. It's solar for me now.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

Bergey is a bunch of lamo wimps who almost never improve. **** them.
  • cohippy420
    cohippy420 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Hi I just purchased an older Bergey BWC XL.1 it has everything including controler which seems to work. BUT I use the midnite classic with may panels and want to use the same with the bergey.

I see above it is told the midnite wont work. QUESTION: WHY NOT??? power is power is power im planning on still using a 24vdc battery bank, so why would this not work? what is different about the stator? does anyone know this info, seems to be a non existent subject for some reason?'

thank you
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cohippy420 wrote: »
    Hi I just purchased an older Bergey BWC XL.1 it has everything including controler which seems to work. BUT I use the midnite classic with may panels and want to use the same with the bergey.

I see above it is told the midnite wont work. QUESTION: WHY NOT??? power is power is power im planning on still using a 24vdc battery bank, so why would this not work? what is different about the stator? does anyone know this info, seems to be a non existent subject for some reason?'

thank you

Not sure who said what about not working, but the older XL.1 turbines were wound at a low-ish voltage... Low enough that even for a 24V battery system, you would not get useful power except at higher wind speeds. Bergey used to use a boost converter to raise its output voltage to charge the batteries. Now, what they have done is re-wound the stators for a bit higher than 48V so that one stator will charge 48V or 24V batteries using the Classic MPPT controller. The input voltage to MPPT controllers usually has to be higher than its battery voltage.
    Boosting controllers are kind of rare.

You might ask Bergey if you can buy one of those newer stators for your turbine to get it to work. Do you have a Classic 250 ? 200 ? 150 ? Bergey uses the 250s because that stator and turbine can go to fairly high voltages without a Clipper, which Bergey does not sell with their turbines.

boB