Yingli and Suntech Solar Panels

Hello Guys,

Anyone have the experienced using these solar modules/panels?

I believe its from China... and also showing the same efficiency and power output as
the leading manufacturer has.

Dont know if these panels carried a 25 year warranty???

Thanks,
Francis...

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Yingli and Suntech Solar Panels

haven't heard of them, but they may or may not be good to configure in a system. they don't necessarilly build them to the same standards the rest of the world would, but even if you find one that is built well, without the ul or ce stamps they could be rejected by inspectors. that is an argument many have slated because batteries don't need these stamps or even wind generators or hydro generators, so why is it required for pvs? i can see certain requirements being standard of pvs in relation to say its framework, glass, etc., but this goes more into physical requirements. electrical ratings of pvs don't come into play unless you are going to exceed its ability to withstand higher voltages as in series strings. now it's been awhile, but i believe the nec does have something to say about anything under 50v. local municipalities and cities can still require the approval stamps.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hello Niel,

Thanks for the info.

I will look at those stamps by UL and CE to make sure they are approved.
    Become interested to it since they are cheaper. They are widely selling it here in
    California and easily SOLD Out.

Thanks,
    Francis...

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

CE won't mean anything in the US (Europe only). It may be UL or other NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory like CSA, ETL, etc.). Out of China, without a local distributor of good reputation, is an iffy situation.

Panels that are expected to last 25-30 years+ with a vendor of only a year or two of production/installs (and unknown business history) under their belt should be priced substantially under market. Making something that works for a year or so is one thing. Making something work for 30 years is something else.

At times like these (high prices for panels and a tight market)--it may be worth waiting it out for a year or two. Wind-Sun has said that they are starting to see a few signs that the market may be correcting (panel vendors calling them).

I probably would only pay 50% of market price (for brand name product) for an unknown Chinese vendor. But, also remember, retailers mark up their prices from wholesale (normal business practice--capitalism at its best), and a "vendor" selling direct from China can offer panels at near wholesale prices to retail buyers, make lots of money--and after the container is empty--disappear with little risk.

Buying a couple for experimentation with the expectation of the panels lasting only a couple of years would be the best that I would bet on.

I would be worried about buying from an unknown vendor as, if I understand the program correctly, California will want some pretty strong documentation that the vendors selling the panels are reputable and able to back up the warrantees before the State will mail out those refund checks.

My own installer (working under BP's/Home Depot's program), would not start an install until the paperwork was returned by the state and stamped approved. Given that the CA rebates have been around $2.50 a watt (+/- depending on date and program specifics), buy panels at 50% off and no rebates was about the same cost as buying name brand panels at 100% - CA Rebates (if this is a state approvable installation).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We will probably be carrying both of those in the future, but right now CE/UL/other approvals are not all issued yet, and we prefer not to sell non-UL listed panels.
  • System2

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the info and advise given.

Thanks Bill. This makes a lot of sense "buy panels at 50% off and no rebates was about the same cost as buying name brand panels at 100% - CA Rebates " - I HAVE DECIDED TO BUY EITHER A KYOCERA or MITSUBISHI...

I got my 1st Kyocera to WINDSUN. I hope I will get a discount on my next order :-D

Francis...
  • System2

A little bit of info about the Suntech modules(panels). Suntech Power in China just bought into MSK Corporation and I see them developing into a powerhouse on the solar market(they kind of are already). It also has come to my attention that they have dropped their prices, cannot say that for a lot of BRAND NAME companies. There is a value-added reseller(turn-key packages) on the east coast that offers the Suntech 170 mono panels and the way things look they will not have a supply problem for these panels. They are UL listed and seem to live up to what they claim. al
  • System2

Hello Al,

I also found out that Suntech is already UL Listed and CE at the same time.

Their price is really competitive.

I hope all Solar Manufacturer will drop their prices too.

Thanks,
    Francis...