USED SOlar Modules/Panels

Hi Guys,

Just want to ask anyone knows where can I buy used SOLAR PANELS/MODULES?

Looking for at least 2 to 3years Old Max. Since the efficiency will be closed to the original with
the given year.

Thanks,
Francis...

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: USED SOlar Modules/Panels

I think everyone would pretty much like to know that.

brad :lol:
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

We almost never see any used panels for sale. What few we do see are something like the 25 year old Carizzo panels. It seems like nobody ever gets rid of them once they install them.
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

From time to time, I see panels put on craigslit.org in the sfbay area. There was one guy about a month ago, with panels no older than a few years. However, when factoring in that you can't get California rebates for used panels, his price was too rich. Could have bought new for about the same net money.
  • Patman3
    Patman3 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

Check your local pizza joint, at least it worked for me just last week! I was getting a sandwhich at "Ken's Pizza" and while waiting I examined the local bulletin board by the door. People leave their business cards, ads by real estate people, etc. Big orange homemade ad said Two UNISOLAR 75 Watt $75 each. Boy, it was my lucky day! He only lived about 12 miles away (rural area, only pizza place around :-), I went around 11:30 am and they checked out fine 4.6 amps isc and 22.4 voc, although they have some major scratches on the plastic type? front and they are somewhat bendable even though they have aluminum frames. Also got the small cube Mornigstar controllers 4.6A each, almost useless to me.
  • System2

Hello Guys,

Your one of a lucky guy Patman3! :-D

I hope I can find a used panel around here in the Valley.

Keeping on surfing the web but no luck.

Thanks,
    Francis...
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I check ebay a lot. Someone is selling a bunch of KC120 right now, theya re going for a good price to more then new KC130's. But they tend to have a lot of used stuff, you just ahve to keep watching.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2

Hi Brock,

Did they tell you the price? How much?

I believe they discontinue this KC Model for some reason.

I have a bad experience with E-bay. Some people not honest enough telling about the stuff they are selling.

Thanks,
    Francis...
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

patman3,
    i wasn't aware that they had made a 75w pv. can you give the approximate dimentions for them? i have the us64s and they too flex. i doubt the scratch will hurt it. i doubt that there are more than 100pvs in my entire county that are better than 30w so i doubt i'd find a deal on anything used.
    the kc120 was upgraded twice. once to 125w and now at 130w and were the kc125 and kc130. naws sells the kc130 for $635 currently. the kcs are popular.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

It was this auction, he had a bunch but they have now ended.

Yes you have to be careful on eBay, I typically only buy from someone with a lot of sales and a 99+ rating or if they have only sold a few things I tend look at what they have sold over how long. If they are new say under 6 months I pass no matter what. I haven't been burned yet and we have bought about 100 different things.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2

I think the only place is flea bay. I got my panels there, all you can see on a pic on my little homepage, 375w in total for 500 Euros. The two big ones are 150W each and come from Germany's "solarfabrik", the little one is a 12year old kyocera but it still puts out the charge written on the paper on the back.

The panels where part of a 80 panel auction from a dealer, that got them cheap (basically he got them for taking them off the grounds) from a (subsidised) government trial installation. After so many years, in this case three, they scrap the panels and try something else in the name of science. Government money at work.

But to find them is rare, why would anyone sell his panels? They work forever.

Chris
  • System2

Thanks guys for the information.

It's really hard to find a USED Solar Panels.

I hope I'll be lucky to find one.

Thanks,
    Francis...
  • niel

this is off of another site and i thought i'd let you read what it says.
    http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183
  • System2

Thanks Niel.

Visited the link you gave and sent a message to the guy selling USED Solar Panels.

I wish I get some of those if available.

Thanks,
    Francis...
  • niel

if it turns out not to be legit though don't blame me as you will determine that risk.
  • System2

Surely will not blame you for that Neil and will be careful dealing with them.

Thanks,
    Francis...
  • Patman3
    Patman3 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

Niel, My bad, these panels are US-64, I confused the wattage with price. May 2003 it says on the back, 29"x54" 16.5 Vmp. Not sure how I'll use them yet.
  • niel

patman3,
    no problem. how have they tested out if if did this yet? i also have to make a correct to my statement of, "i doubt that there are more than 100pvs in my entire county that are better than 30w so i doubt i'd find a deal on anything used." as i had forgotten that they had put cameras on the highways in and around the city to watch for road conditions, traffic, etc.. these are wired by phone lines,i believe,for the camera outputs, but the power sources for them are all pvs. i can't figure out their motives for one set of wires and not another, but most of the pvs in and around the county are for this purpose.
  • System2

Are you sure they are connected with phone lines? Here they link the traffic cams with little UHF antennas. they are completely independent, no telephone and no electricity needed. They have a range of 40km, about 28ml with there little digital transmittors, all powered by a small 30w panel.

Chris
  • niel

i originally thought they may have been wireless and inquired to other ham operators in my area that are into scanning and they confirmed it to be by phoneline. i never saw an antenna on the poles that all these were mounted on before, but sometimes it can be hidden or built into something that i may not have noticed going that fast. their decision may have something to do with the erratic terain here that made them decide on not using radio transmitters. i wish they did do it by radio as i'd have loved to receive some of these signals myself.
    30w pvs? here they are using 50w to several hundred watts depending on the location without transmitters.
  • System2

This is what I bought this summer on craigslist:

(2) Siemens SR-90s , 8-9 years old $200 each
    (3) Sharp-185s , 1 years old $400 each
    (1) Sharp-165, 1 year old $400
    (1) Uni-solar PVL-128, $470 on ebay brand new

Occasionally (lately very rarely) panels come up and usually they are in the $2-$3 range /watt but of course there's plenty of jokers that want $5+ (I've seen $10) for their used panels/watt
  • System2

Hi JoeT,

Wow that was cheap and I believed it can still produce 90% of the original power.

I hope I can find almost thesame price as you got.

Please advise how did you deal with the seller and how did you get the panels.

Thanks,
    Francis...