Equalizing batteries with IOTA 55a Charger

harry2012
harry2012 Registered Users Posts: 8
I just purchased a IOTA 55a charger with iq4 controller from this site, and i was wondering how i would equalize my batteries with it by hooking it up into my Xantrex c60, should i turn the voltage adjustment inside the iota up to 15.5V or do i need to put it higher for my xantrex c60 equalization setting

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Equalizing batteries with IOTA 55a Charger

You should not connect the Iota to the Xantrex; the solar charge controller is not used nor needed for regulating the Iota's charging.

You may, however, need to adjust the Iota's Voltage to suit the charging parameters of your batteries.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I answered your PM. Don't forget to put the plug in the jack. It will be fine. Coot your right, not required, but it will regulate the IOTA output where you can set the voltage once and let the C60 control it. The C60 will do Bulk, absorb and float as it would with any input. When you want to equalize all you do is use the button on the side of the C60. The IOTA's output will follow the C60's demand.
  • Cariboocoot
    I answered your PM. Don't forget to put the plug in the jack. It will be fine. Coot your right, not required, but it will regulate the IOTA output where you can set the voltage once and let the C60 control it. The C60 will do Bulk, absorb and float as it would with any input. When you want to equalize all you do is use the button on the side of the C60. The IOTA's output will follow the C60's demand.

Rather a pain if you're using the C60 to regulate panels, isn't it? You would not want the two connected to the controller input at the same time. Besides which stand-alone chargers are not very economical for equalizing (assuming off-grid AC from generator); the best case is to let the charge do the Bulk and partial Absorb, then let the panels & controller finish and EQ.
  • Cariboocoot

Although I also have to say if some company like, MidNite perhaps, would just build a stand-alone battery charger with the kind of full and true charge regulation of a solar controller built-in many off-gridders would be very happy about it.

Are you listening boB? :D
  • Blackcherry04
    Rather a pain if you're using the C60 to regulate panels, isn't it? You would not want the two connected to the controller input at the same time. Besides which stand-alone chargers are not very economical for equalizing (assuming off-grid AC from generator); the best case is to let the charge do the Bulk and partial Absorb, then let the panels & controller finish and EQ.
    He's not the C60 was a extra controller he had. Otherwise you'd be correct, added cost. This way he can do a full charge, then Equalize and return to float with out resetting the IOTA"s output.
  • Cariboocoot
    He's not the C60 was a extra controller he had. Otherwise you'd be correct, added cost. This way he can do a full charge, then Equalize and return to float with out resetting the IOTA"s output.

That explains it. Guess I missed a few things in the past couple of weeks.
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭

About equalization with the Iota charger, here is what the IQ4 manual says:

"If the battery has remained in the Float State for seven days, the IQ4 automatically provides an equalization charge to dissolve any sulfate layer on the battery’s plates and to avoid stratification" (ref: figure C in http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/IQ4manual.pdf)

However, it doesn't say how it does it or what values it switches to

Cheers!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Blackcherry04
    ramloui wrote: »
    About equalization with the Iota charger, here is what the IQ4 manual says:

"If the battery has remained in the Float State for seven days, the IQ4 automatically provides an equalization charge to dissolve any sulfate layer on the battery’s plates and to avoid stratification" (ref: figure C in http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/IQ4manual.pdf)

However, it doesn't say how it does it or what values it switches to

Cheers!
    It runs through a 7-8 hour charge, it goes up to 14.4 V and then drops to 13.8 for the remainder of the cycle. It's ok, but it's NOT a traditional Equalization and will not de-sulfate a battery or raise the SG's high enough. Terms used in battery chargers have no standards, so you kind of have to wade through them. I would call it more of a maintenance charge.

What we were talking about is changing the output to 15.5 volts.
  • harry2012
    harry2012 Registered Users Posts: 8

This is all somewhat new to me but as I posted in a previous post (Frozen Battery bank) I am looking for A way to raise my levels in each cell, I realize that I could normally do it with one of my tristar charge controller and my panels but it as been cloudly and snowing all the time, so even though I hit the Manual equalization, there is only 3 to 10-15 amps max for a very short time! just enough to bring the bank up to 14.1 -14.4 volts, so I needed a way and a charging source to do this, It is at my cottage where I go sometimes weeks before I go there, The only other source of power I have is the honda EU3000is Generator, So the recommendation of the Iota 55a boosting the output voltage up to 15.5 and running it in my c60, letting them fully charge and hitting the manuel equalization should work because the batteries still hold a full charge and work fine under load but still ice over at the top. the 4 rolls s530 were purchased new in july and i did add distilled water to them in november but I never did do an equalization. So I did order the charger and the iq4 controller. Thanks for All your Help