Charge controller wiring

Joe94
Joe94 Solar Expert Posts: 42
I have a question about wiring my charge controller. My midnight classic DC+ out wired through a breaker and then connected to the the line side lug on the main inverter breaker. Everything works fine I'm just currious if this is a acceptable way to wire it or should it make a run directly back to the battery bank?

Comments

• WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Re: Carge controller wiring

The main problem I see is if the inverter breaker turns off, the charge controller is still powering the line side. I think that you should wire it to the battery bank, and let's see what the real experts say.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely should go through a fuse and disconnect to the + battery terminal or buss bar. Better yet, instead of using a fuse and disconnect, use a properly sized breaker designed for handling DC. In either case, the controller output should go directly to the battery +, not to the inverter.
  • Joe94
    Joe94 Solar Expert Posts: 42

Attachment not found. excuse the crude diagram but seeing how I wired it maybe makes better sense. Basically I used the inverter breaker lug as a +bus.
  • WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭

Ok, after looking at your circuit that should be alright then.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Charge controller wiring

Try to keep loops down... Have pairs of wires run together (bundle tied) and well protected against slicing against sheet metal/open connections from dropping tools/jewelry upon, and don't have large loops of wires (you can do figure "8" "loops" to take up slack).

With "loops" of wiring, they act like antenna--And can radiate switching noise into radios/TV's, and also can receive energy from nearby lighting strikes.

Otherwise, I agree--Your Inverter and Charger power go back to the main bus, each protected by the appropriately sized fuse/breaker (on the positive lead, near the battery + bus).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Charge controller wiring

Unless you are using remote sensing of the battery voltage, you really need the CC output connected as directly as possible to the battery. That way the charging voltage will be best controlled independent of load current.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.