Computer interface

I am in the process of deciding which battery monitor to buy and one of the deciding questions may be the computer interface. Both the Victron BMV 600S and the Trimetric use an RS232 communications interface which I already have for my Morningstar controller and while I am assuming I will have to down load software which both Bogart and Victron have, I am hoping that I can use my interface with either unit. The Clipper battery monitor does not seem to have any computer interface or it would be a contender.

Comments

• RobertR
    RobertR Registered Users Posts: 17
    Re: Computer interface

I have a TM 2025 RV which does not connect to the computer, but monitors battery amp hours very well
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Computer interface

For the victron theres two similar models one has serial one doesnt. Also you need the accessary cable. For the bogart, the pentametric has accessorys addons for both serial and ethernet. Both options are reasonably untrivial cost wise.

I dont know how many devices you have using serial, i guess you can run them all into a usb hub with serial to usb converters. However you may find ethernet overall more manageable for cabling etc.

Also now that midnite have their Whizbang Jr addon, if you are using or thinking of using midnite gear, then you dont need a battery monitor at all any more.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar