Is this a decent alternator?

Options
Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
http://store.mwands.com/permanent-magnet-alternators/12-volt-high-amp-alternator-with-built-in-voltage-regulator/

I ran into this while researching a power project. It's supposed to be for wind power, or pretty much whatever you want to throw at it, like water wheel hydro and the like. It seems kinda cheap at only $99, so I wasn't sure if it was good enough quality to use or if it'd die pretty quickly under daily 24/7/365 constant use.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Is this a decent alternator?

Suggest you google that Co. Start on this site...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://store.mwands.com/permanent-magnet-alternators/12-volt-high-amp-alternator-with-built-in-voltage-regulator/

I ran into this while researching a power project. It's supposed to be for wind power, or pretty much whatever you want to throw at it, like water wheel hydro and the like. It seems kinda cheap at only $99, so I wasn't sure if it was good enough quality to use or if it'd die pretty quickly under daily 24/7/365 constant use.
    Reading the info on the supplied link indicates it's a standard Delco (GM) high RPM automotive alternator, complete with built in regulator. There is NO mention of it having it's factory rotor replaced with PM rotor. I'm suspicious of it.
    My mini micro hydro system uses a reworked alternator of this type. Reworked in that it has had it's stator rewound for higher voltage, no regulator, PM rotor, thus no brushes, and sealed bearings. Because of the many more turns if smaller diameter wire in the stator windings to produce power at low RPM, it's current output is limited to less than 10 amps WITH A COOLING FAN INSTALLED. Without a cooling fan the windings will melt at that current. It was originally on a "Hornet" so-called wind turbine that only produced usable power during hurricanes that threatened to rip the whole thing apart. After two years on the tower I took it down, gave away everything but the alternator, and for the last 5 years the alternator has faithfully produced power as part of my hydro project. It runs at roughly 1000 RPM 24/7, belt coupled to the turbine, puts out more or less 5 amps @ 35 volts which ends up being fed along with PV, into a Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 which results, after all losses, more or less 160 watts 24/7 into my 12 volt system.
    The alternator you linked to, from the info provided, indicates it would have to be wound right out RPM wise, to produce usable power, and thus it's bearings wouldn't last nearly as long. There is also no mention of sealed bearings, nor of a PM rotor. And the built in regulator indicates to me it does NOT have a PM rotor, thus is just a polished up recycled used automotive alternator that would require excitation power through it's brushes to it's wound rotor.
    Buyer beware.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Suggest you google that Co. Start on this site...

After finding what I just did via Google, I'm somewhat concerned as to what I would find on this forum.

They have a few issues from time to time, eh?
    Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ILFE wrote: »
    After finding what I just did via Google, I'm somewhat concerned as to what I would find on this forum.

They have a few issues from time to time, eh?

What did you find?
    We can kill the spam from the site, but we can't erase it off Google if it's already been parsed. Such links will be invalid. On the whole it's probably 'cleaner' than any other forum you'll find.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    What did you find?
    We can kill the spam from the site, but we can't erase it off Google if it's already been parsed. Such links will be invalid. On the whole it's probably 'cleaner' than any other forum you'll find.

Sorry. What I meant was, there is a lot of negative information about the company, online. If a company has a bad rating with the BBB, certainly there wouldn't be much positive on an informational forum such as this.

I was right, unfortunately.

But, people deserve to know the truth, prior to dealing with a company they could possibly spend thousands of dollars dealing with.
    Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ILFE wrote: »
    Sorry. What I meant was, there is a lot of negative information about the company, online. If a company has a bad rating with the BBB, certainly there wouldn't be much positive on an informational forum such as this.

I was right, unfortunately.

But, people deserve to know the truth, prior to dealing with a company they could possibly spend thousands of dollars dealing with.

Ah, you are referring to MW&S not NAWS.
    I thought perhaps Google was returning links to spam posts.
  • Steven Lake
    Options

Hmm, by the sounds of it I was right in assuming that I should ask about this company before proceeding. As one person said, something didn't feel right when reading the description and other info. Now, on that note, who would you suggest to get a motor like that from? I have a river that has a low 4ft head that I'm wanting to experiment with for a water wheel hydro setup. I don't intend to put it into full production use for powering the house (although I'd like too, but the river is too far away), but rather I want it to do some experimenting with, but still be durable enough to go through some long period testing without breaking the bank. IE, I want to tinker, but I want it durable enough that it doesn't die in a short amount of time, and doesn't cost a ton. I know that's probably asking a lot, but hey, it's worth at least asking. :P
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've dealt with the following company several times with good results. They have a variety of stators rewound for different voltages, rotor speeds etc, as well as PM rotors, alternator cases, rectifiers, sealed bearings etc. It was cheaper for me to purchase the parts and assemble it myself.
    Satisfied customer.
    http://www.windbluepower.com/category_s/1.htm
  • Steven Lake
    Options

Thanks Wayne! :D