Solar Fennel Panels? Spring upgrade thougts

Chris
Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
Come spring, I plan on adding 2 more 100 watt panels, now I already have one of these and just wanted to know what you guys think of them.....are they any good? or should I be looking at different brands?

There pretty cheap, I can get them for $125 ea +tax and shipping

http://www.solarfennel.com/Products/Solar_panel/f8968f56e6f84c76/

I think I've made up my mind about the CC as well, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the "Kid" seems like they have a good reputation and well it's going to be flush mounted under my fridge and it should just fit

Little back ground, I have an RV parked in an off grid location......currently have 2 X 100 watt panels with a Epsolar 20 amp PWM controller running a worn out 220amp hour bank.

Comments

• Chris
    Re: Solar Fennel Panels? Spring upgrade thougts

This is my other existing panel http://www.papsolar.ca/pdf/100W19V%20Mono.pdf ........they are about $50 ea more then the solarfennel, would the additional 100 bucks be a better option?

Any input would be appreciated

Chris
  • Chris

Just re-read the specs.....and it seems the cheaper panels have a little higher voltage and amps........is that a good thing?
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris wrote: »
    Just re-read the specs.....and it seems the cheaper panels have a little higher voltage and amps........is that a good thing?

Well depends on your charge controller, if they are higher voltage panels they will require a MPPT controller to get the most out of them. A MPPT with use the higher voltage to down convert to a 12 V system and up the amperage.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

the VMP is within 10% ( new 18.8 vs 19.35 old) same for Imp (new 5.32 A vs 5.17 old) so it should work fine, you will get CC output from both at/near the lower level. good to go for parallel use, Series would be similar if you get an MPPT CC.
    A reasonable match for different panels, this happened because they are true PV type panels (12V) and all 100Watts.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chris

Thanx, for the responses guys

I will be picking up a MidNite "Kid" MPPT controller come spring, and plan to run 4 panels, either all in series or 2 strings of series.....but between the 2 different panels, is one better then the other? I guess I'm asking because the cheaper of the 2 will cost me 100 bucks less per set.....and that little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me there must be something wrong with them LOL
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

No, that is $1.25 per watt, about right. There are lots of makers out there that make good panels, so there is a reasonable expectation they will last. As to warranty, look at Evergreen, made one of the best panels and now they are gone, bankrupt! so is the warranty...
    IMO it is better to have them all the same brand so if you are thinking about future use and expanding, get them now.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada