Solar Penny Question

Options
hogan646
hogan646 Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi

I came across something that I thought that was interesting and I thought I would get the opinion of the experts. Penny Solar is offering a solar bundle that seems to have everything except the batteries. (see link below) I have been thinking about putting together a small off-grid system that I could tie to a small sub-panel in my house. This seems like a viable option for me but not sure if the bundle is worth it. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with this company? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.solarpenny.com/Canadian-Solar-Bundle-4-250.htm

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Penny Question

Looks expensive to me. Look at what individual parts cost at NAWS then compare the total to this system. See how much money you save.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Problem with solar bundles: they're selling you what they make money on, not what you need.

This is a prime example since the key part of the system design, the batteries, is not included. In fact it fails to mention this key need in terms of capacity and how that relates to the system.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Hate to always be the "do the math guy" (I hated math in grade school--I finally enjoyed math when it was used for solving "real world" questions).

Anyway, do you have any ideas of what your loads will be? That usually defines the battery bank... And the battery bank defines the array size. Plus a check with your daily loads + hours of sun to ensure the array is large enough to support your expected loads.

Anyway--We can do it other ways... I.e., 1,000 watts of solar panels, how big of battery bank will it support and will it supply enough load for the surge?

Or if you have XYZ battery bank, how many panels and how much power can it supply per day....

A 3 kWatt inverter is, relatively, huge for a smaller system. Most of the time, folks probably average under 400 watts (evening/morning time). Large inverters can have fairly high "tare losses" (power "wasted" by just turning on the inverter). For smaller systems, trying to run a large AC inverter 24 hours per day can eat upwards of 1/2 of the solar panel+battery bank generated power per day.

And, per "Hogan's" request, move to the off grid forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hogan646
    Options

Solid advice. I will have to do some math and see what kind of set up is best. That is a great point about the inverter I guess it may be wise to go with a small unit. Thanks.
  • hogan646
    Options

I will do check out the prices at NAWS and see what the components cost. I am not sure what i would value the labor and expertise to put the board together. But I guess one step at a time. Thanks.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

"Kits" can be useful--Especially if you are installing the system in the middle of no-where--And this is your first rodeo.

However, many times kits really do not meet the needs of the owner. Why suggest to the paper design first--Then start looking at hardware that meets those needs. For smaller systems, shipping costs can be a significant hit for costs (shipping one large solar panel or an entire pallet may be close to the same).

Another posibility--"E-Panels" that are pre-wired with all the needed breakers and hardware. And some folks will mount and test the entire system on a section of plywood at the city home--And then haul the whole thing up to the cabin/remote home for installation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For small to medium sized systems, these midnite disconnect boxes are good value for money, and certainly a fantastic place to start if you have the ability to do a bit of wiring and math.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=8&productCatName=Mini%20%20DC%20Disconnect
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• hogan646
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    For small to medium sized systems, these midnite disconnect boxes are good value for money, and certainly a fantastic place to start if you have the ability to do a bit of wiring and math.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=8&productCatName=Mini%20%20DC%20Disconnect

Thanks. I will check this out. I will download some of the manuals and give them a read.