Breaker for Battery Charger

mryimmers
mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
Hi All;
I am putting together a small cabin solar system using a Midnite 125 amp DC mini disconnect box. Backup charging will be done with an
Iota DLS 45 amp charger (12Volt system). Should I be running the positive wire from the charger thru a breaker in the disconnect box ( say a 50 amp DC breaker) ? And if so regarding hooking the positive wire to positive side of breaker, which side would be considered the "highest potential" the battery side or the charger side ? My guess is the battery side, but I want to be sure.
Thanks HH
510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Breaker for Battery Charger
    mryimmers wrote: »
    Hi All;
    I am putting together a small cabin solar system using a Midnite 125 amp DC mini disconnect box. Backup charging will be done with an
    Iota DLS 45 amp charger (12Volt system). Should I be running the positive wire from the charger thru a breaker in the disconnect box ( say a 50 amp DC breaker) ? And if so regarding hooking the positive wire to positive side of breaker, which side would be considered the "highest potential" the battery side or the charger side ? My guess is the battery side, but I want to be sure.

The positive (sometimes marked 'line') side of the breaker goes to the battery. In the event of a fault only the battery can produce enough current to melt a wire. Make sure the wires are rated higher ampacity than the breakers.

Anything and everything that is connected to a battery must be protected by fuse or breaker. The breaker should be as close to the battery as possible, but not in the battery box. The cables from the battery box to the electric panel with the breakers must be in conduit.

Are you planning a grounded system on the DC side? If not, you must have fuses/breakers on both the positive and the negative connections to the battery.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mryimmers
    mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    Re: Breaker for Battery Charger

Thanks vtMaps, Yes to the ground, in fact I pounded in my ground rod yesterday, I thought I had better get that done while I'm waiting for my parts to arrive as it has been - 20 something degrees here the last few days. HH
    510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.