Wiring for OffGrid - 120 or 12V

Options
nansrun
nansrun Registered Users Posts: 2
I am building an off grid cabin in West Virginia. At the moment, it would be for weekend use. I would like to use a solar/battery system but be able to use a generator for longer stays. Should I just wire the whole place for 120, use a transfer switch, and an inverter for the battery side? Is there an easier way around using the inverter to save juice for when there is a low demand that wouldn't require separate wiring. I currently have all my walls open, so now is the time to get the wiring right. Thanks for anyone's advice.

Comments

• ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Wiring for OffGrid - 120 or 12V

Hello nansrun!
    I have not been around here very long and people more knowledgeable that me will certainly chime in time but I'd like to share my own experience on the subject...

It highly depends on where you see your cabin in, say, 2-5 years from now. In my case, the cabin was already (poorly) wired for 12V and there were 12V lights throughout when I bought the place 2 years ago. The previous owner had used "table lamp" wiring and the lights barely did the job. I believe it was a case of too small wiring and too long a distance between batteries and users.

Before I go on, you should know this about me: I'm excessive in every project I undertake. The other thing I was thinking is that 12V stuff is not readily available at every hardware store so I would/could not be able to procure all of the exact stuff I would want for whatever specific application I had in mind. To me, that was the clincher for going 120V. And I'm happy I did.

However, mostly due to my excessiveness, this was not cheap. When I'm all done, I will have spent 7-8000$ for my off-grid system (24V 430Ah batts, 4000W pure sine inverter, 1500W PV and all the other expensive stuff you don't plan for, like the support, d'uh...). But, to me it was worth it to have the satisfaction of having a cabin in the middle of nowhere that has all of the small stuff that we don't think twice about at home like flicking the light switch, plugging in a radio, charging the cordless drill, etc.

All of that came about because I made a plan of where I wanted to go and how I would get there. My biggest advice would be to do exactly that: make a plan, look at it in every which way, change it as many times as you have to to eventually get to a place where you are going to be happy with what you have. Paper is cheap. Off-grid is very expensive.

Good luck! I hope you have as much fun with your project as I have. Listen to the folks here. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cheers!!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

It mainly depends on what all you want to run. If there is a need for 120 VAC for something that will require an inverter, and if you're going to run an inverter anyway 120 VAC equipment is cheaper and easier to get your hands on.

You will be weighing the equipment cost difference (12 VDC appliances tend to cost more than their 120 VAC counterparts) including the need for heavier wire to run the equivalent power in 12 vs. 120 against the power consumption of the inverter. A good inverter will have a standby mode where its consumption is significantly reduced when there is no actual demand placed on it. And any inverter can be switched off.

Trying to keep 12 Volts at 12 Volts over long wire runs can be problematic. The Voltage drop may require very large wire, depending on what you're trying to operate at the other end. In general if it's not a very small space such as an RV or one-room cabin 12 VDC wiring gets to be expensive.

Personally I would avoid 12 VDC altogether, especially if you have plans for increasing the amount of time there. Usually I would recommend a 24 Volt system minimum; only go 12 Volt if there is s specific need for it.

Some people will wire for both AC and DC, keeping the DC wiring for lights only in case the inverter breaks down. If you buy a good inverter that won't be a problem unless someone makes a mistake on the system and fries it.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

This discussion has come up many times and was just discussed at great length a couple of weeks ago.
    The general opinion is to stick with 120v since all of the 120v devices are generally MUCH cheaper than 12v ones.

Also, with 12v you have more of an issue with voltage drop so you need to use larger (more expensive) wire throughout the home. Plus the additional 12v panel, breakers, etc. Just double the management in my opinion.

Some of the smaller inverters are not all that bad as far as idle draw. And some people use 2, one for the big loads that is in "sleep" mode all the time and another small one for the general lights, etc. If you don't have any big loads, you could get by with a small one and the idle losses would be minimal.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • nansrun
    nansrun Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all for your kind replies. As I somewhat suspected, consensus is to go with 120. I am just getting started trying put a plan together. Going 12V sounds good, but versatility and convenience are hard to beat. Sounds like I should go conventional, close up the walls, and start the fun planning of how I'm going to power this joint.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trying to keep 12 Volts at 12 Volts over long wire runs can be problematic. The Voltage drop ...

Actually, trying to keep 12 volts at 12 volts over SHORT wire runs can be problematic. That 12 volt nominal may range from 11.5 to 16 volts depending on the other loads, battery SOC, battery temp, and where in the charge cycle the battery is at. Thirty percent swings in voltage does not agree with all 12 volt bulbs, appliances, etc.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i