Tenergy Watt's Up monitor - useful?

WYsolar
WYsolar Solar Expert Posts: 31
My little solar test project is up and running now.

I have 6 17.4 Ah 12v batteries being charged by a CNPV 255w panel via an Outback MX60 CC.

I am thinking about attaching a small (600-800w) inverter to my batts to charge small loads (DVD player, cell phones). I would like to monitor the amount of power the inverter/chargers are using from the batteries. I thought about mounting some type of volt/amp meter between the batteries and the inverter for this purpose.

Have other folks found this to be useful? If so, does anyone have experience with the Watt's Up...or maybe some other type of meter?

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Meter-Analyzer-WU100-Version/dp/B001B6N2WK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1

Can you just wire it in series with say the ( - ) cable running from the batts to the inverter?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. :/

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Tenergy Watt's Up monitor - useful?

Should work.

You will need to hook it to two wires, otherwise it cannot measure the voltage. I'm sure it'll come with hooking instructions.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Check your power requirements carefully before picking the inverter. As a rule a smaller one will use less power. One of the best for this sort of application is Morningstar's 300 Watt unit, although that needs to be 'hard wired' (as opposed to, say, the small Samlex units with the built-in outlets).

Also keep in mind that some of these inexpensive monitors are "one way"; they measure power taken from the batteries but will not show any put back in. But in conjunction with the MX60 showing output from the panels you should be able to keep track so long as another charge source isn't introduced.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I found the Watts-Up meter to be quite useful for what it is. It has an input and an output, so you can just reverse it if need be. I noted that it was close, but not as accurate in voltages as compared to my Fluke 87V voltmeter. I witnessed about a 0.3v discrepency, so if you are very picky about charging voltages where the difference between say a 13.3 and a 13.6v float charge for example could mean voiding your battery warantee, you'll to keep in mind the watts-up is good, but not a lab instrument obviously.