Does anyone know of any brand washing machine that can be filled manually with water?

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking for a washing machine that can run off of a small generator and also be filled manually with water. Does anyone have any sort of similar set up?

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Does anyone know of any brand washing machine that can be filled manually with water
    nobody928 wrote: »
    I am looking for a washing machine that can run off of a small generator and also be filled manually with water. Does anyone have any sort of similar set up?

Every washing machine I have used can be filled manually with water. On top loaders you just pour it in; on front loaders you go through the detergent inlet.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Does anyone know of any brand washing machine that can be filled manually with water

Or place a reservoir tub on a stand and have that gravity feed through the inlet hose.
    Unlike dishwashers washing machines do not require pressure to run properly; they just need the volume.

Otherwise you need to define "small generator" in terms of Watts and compare it to the washer's electrical demands. Some modern washers with electronic controls do not take kindly to 'standard' generator power because of the fluctuations in Voltage and frequency.

Also most machines have a big start-up surge which may go over 20 Amps. A small gen like a Honda EU2000i might not be able to handle this.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

When i did research on washing machines, the view was that you need 1500W for a washer. However the "smart drive" ie direct drive permanet magnet units made here in NZ by fisher paykel, i tested recently draw less than 400W. Start surges are easily coped with by our current 1100W inverter. Do other companys use these direct drive motors?

In terms of reliability they are awsome, totally gone are the days of changing belts, clutches and gearboxes. The motors are also regularly recylcled into small hydro systems, and theres a guy here who has a deal with fisher and pykel to source the smart drive units for use in the Powerspout line of pelton/turgo units.

Back to the OP, the cold water inlet seems to the one part that does wear out. Once when one failed, and before i replaced it, we used a garden hose to fill it, and when the water level sensor got to its level it started washing away happily. The first rinse is a spray rinse, and you had to skip that, and redo the deep rinse twice. A lot of fuss as i recall!
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing a Honda gas engine powered washing machine at an Amish farm, you might call https://www.lehmans.com/ I know they have a ringer washer. You may find an old Maytag engine powered washer that still runs.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Pictures of Tony's latest washing machine anywhere?

Ralph