Finally bought some LED bulbs

2»

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Finally bought some LED bulbs

Electric company didn't send me anything except bills.

However, my insurance company gave me free water detectors and nice hoses for washer and drier. They said it's cheaper than paying huge flood claims. Very nice of them.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

very nice of them and smart too. were they the type with the flexible metal braid as those last? i gave up on those cheaper ones as they burst more often than i care for. flooded my basement once when i wasn't home as my basement drain had gotten clogged. that was something to come home to.
  • NorthGuy
    niel wrote: »
    very nice of them and smart too. were they the type with the flexible metal braid as those last? i gave up on those cheaper ones as they burst more often than i care for. flooded my basement once when i wasn't home as my basement drain had gotten clogged. that was something to come home to.

Yes they were braided, and long too. Very nice hoses. The guy told us that the rubber hoses burst all the time.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

How high of a water pressure does it take to get the hoses to break or did they freeze sometime? I have my own well set, at 40-60 lb pressure. solarvic
  • niel

i don't remember what my pressure was back then for sure, but i think it was around 100lbs. i now have a regulator in place set to about 55lbs. i did have a regulator blow out on me once due to extreme pressure coming in (saw >150lbs and heard a water hammer to beat all) and when i called the water company they had a prerecorded message that said they blew out the lines of sediment in my area. i chewed them a new one even though they did not offer to replace my regulator. i'm lucky my other items did not pop like boiler and hot water tank.

solarvic,
    they pretty much just fail at any pressure i believe as they just get old. if your hoses are 5yrs old now then invest in the metal braided hoses.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    How high of a water pressure does it take to get the hoses to break or did they freeze sometime? I have my own well set, at 40-60 lb pressure. solarvic

You can also get supply valves for the washer hoses that will cut off the water when they detect a very large pressure drop. It is possible to tell the difference between a full on solenoid valve in a washer and a blown hose because the washer will typically have a flow limiter of some sort.

Nothing except a drain pan with a large outside overflow pipe will save you when the drain hose falls off the pump outlet though. My previous brand new hardwood floor will testify to that.:cry:
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • WNY Dave
    WNY Dave Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭

They make a device called FLood Stop for your washer, (or other water lines) it hooks inline with your hoses and has a floor/water sensor too. It also turns off the solenoid valves when the washer is off, relieving the pressure on the hoses. http://www.getfloodstop.com/
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Any one have a light meter?

I hear LED's dim after the first 300-1000 hours.

I've heard that also, but so far am not aware of any dimming of the 29 I have in regular use both inside and outside.
    Perhaps they're dimming too slowly for me to notice, but so far, and some of them have been use for 4 years, I have no complaints.
    I have however noticed lots of age related dimming of CFLs when I used to use them.
    And don't forget how incandescents used to blacken the inside of their bulb. Guess we're still waiting for the "perfect electric light.
    OOPS, thought for a moment there that I was on the wrong thread. Amazing transition from LED lights to bursting washing machine hoses.
    Must be the full moon. Hahahahaha
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    OOPS, thought for a moment there that I was on the wrong thread. Amazing transition from LED lights to bursting washing machine hoses.
    Must be the full moon. Hahahahaha

It's what Douglas Adams called "the fundamental interconnectedness of it all". :D
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Coot, have a look in Costco, saw some GU 10's in there last weekend at a reasonable price with a slightly higher W rating. cant remember if they were in multi pack or not, got a bunch of LED's to test out, will post comments later.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • simon87
    simon87 Registered Users Posts: 6

Since I plan to get into LED bulbs and stuff but didn't have a clue of it - I appreciate the discussion and the tips here. Good to read something helpful like this when you're totally new to the forums.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    simon87 wrote: »
    Since I plan to get into LED bulbs and stuff but didn't have a clue of it - I appreciate the discussion and the tips here. Good to read something helpful like this when you're totally new to the forums.

Welcome to the forum "simon87", I hope you find this place as helpful as I have over the years.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    ... Oh and a couple of solar-powered LED lamps that mark the dog-walking trail. They don't always get enough sun to charge, but when they do they work fine.

Many of those solar-charged led lights come with pretty crappy AA nimh cells. One option is to replace them with "low self discharge" like AA Sanyo Eneloops. The biggest improvement is that they have very low internal resistance, so charging is more efficient, and have a higher voltage during the discharge cycle. There are others out there that are LSD as well, and can sometimes be seen as "precharged".

Even though they are pre-charged, one should use a smart charger to charge them up fully, and then put them into the lights. Most manufacturers only charge them up to about 70% SOC. Beware of new-old stock and get them from reputable dealers.

These last longer, but still may not make it through a full night depending of course on how much insolation you have. I typically do a full charge with a smart charger on them once a year to keep them healthy.

Although not a critical application for sure, us AA battery geeks put them at the top of the list when it comes to AA rechargeables.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

tested out those new Costco (Feit) LEDs. hope this works for posting a table, simply...

PN .......728182
    W replaced-- 40 .........60
    Lumens ---500 .........850
    Pckg ..........3 ..........1
    Rated W ......7.5
    Actual W .......5
    Actual VA .......7
    PF ...........0.82
    Actual A ...0.06

Cost
    $19.99 $14.99
    $ per unit $6.66 ____$14.99
    Cents per Lumen 1.332 1.763
    cents per W replaced 16.66 24.98

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Some early feedback on Home Depot 'Cree' LED bulbs for 6watt (40w equiv) and 9.5 watt (60w equiv) bulbs.

Generally they have performed well so far. The 9.5 watts (60w equiv) are more efficient in lumens per watt then the 6 watt (40w equiv). These are soft white (2700k) color temps. If you can stand the harsh cool white (4500k) day light bulbs they take about 9.0 watts for same lumens per watt.

The power factor is very good in the 0.97 to 0.99 range. Never before seen that high a PF reading.

Only downside I have found is the glass dome is very thin glass with a sticky feel polymer coating that is glued into the heat sink base. I had one dome come off with moderately light torque while screwing the bulb into the socket. You should use in a setting that allows some air flow across the heat sink at the base.

You can buy in a six pack bundle on-line for about $10/bulb. Home Depot encloses a UPS return label if anything you receive needs to be returned which is a nice touch.

I'd recommend LED's over CFL for locations like bathrooms that are subjected to a lot of ON-OFF cycles which CFL are stressed with reducing their lifespan.
  • niel
    PNjunction wrote: »
    Many of those solar-charged led lights come with pretty crappy AA nimh cells. One option is to replace them with "low self discharge" like AA Sanyo Eneloops. The biggest improvement is that they have very low internal resistance, so charging is more efficient, and have a higher voltage during the discharge cycle. There are others out there that are LSD as well, and can sometimes be seen as "precharged".

Even though they are pre-charged, one should use a smart charger to charge them up fully, and then put them into the lights. Most manufacturers only charge them up to about 70% SOC. Beware of new-old stock and get them from reputable dealers.

These last longer, but still may not make it through a full night depending of course on how much insolation you have. I typically do a full charge with a smart charger on them once a year to keep them healthy.

Although not a critical application for sure, us AA battery geeks put them at the top of the list when it comes to AA rechargeables.

part of the problem is also insufficient panel output to charge the batteries year round. those smaller batteries might've done ok with more charge power to them. a higher ah quality aa i would hesitate to place into a solar light as it will not receive a proper charge especially during the winter.
  • NorthGuy

Received 3x3 = 9W GU10 light bulbs. They look dim to me compare to 50W halogen bulbs, and the color is not as warm. But they only consume 3W each. Imagine that. 9W bulbs cosume only 3W of power. That's some sort of Chinese miracle. They do dim, but do not dim enough for my liking. Anyway, decided to keep them. Looks like they provide enough light for the purpose. Good buy at $40 for 10 bulbs.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I also went and purchased a few of the Philips & the Home Depot 'Cree' LED bulbs that RCinFL posted ,& Just because of this thread.
    I took the Home Hardware flyer in & got them for 9.98 -10% since HD say's it will beat any advertised price. But then again BC has an Enviro levy of 20 cent's per bulb on the Philips ones ,but not the Home Depot 'Cree' LED bulbs with the silicone coating on the globe .
    I also got all the same readings that have been posted.
    I purchased LED corn lights in March of this year from china , they started to dull badly drop panels out etc. Back then I was seeing Box stores have 35.00 bulbs or around that price.
    For 10.33 with all levies ,recycling fees & taxes in.. per bulb is not bad.
    Lets see if they can last longer than 6 months the Chinese corn lamps lasted.

I have kept all the packaging & receipts plus have one spare bulb to compare in a few months.

Some of the Chinese LED's are still preforming well after a few years of use, but they were the flood spot type & were not suited well in the main house.

Thanks gents for posting the sales .

VT
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    part of the problem is also insufficient panel output to charge the batteries year round. those smaller batteries might've done ok with more charge power to them. a higher ah quality aa i would hesitate to place into a solar light as it will not receive a proper charge especially during the winter.

Neil, that's exactly what I am doing with several of my solar powered spot lights. About 3 years ago I bought a couple of these on amazon and they all died within 6 months. Basically, the 2.5w? panel was no match for the battery bank inside. I say battery bank because it was basically five cheap 1.2v C CELLs re-chargables wired together = 6v

What I've done is replace the 6v halogen bulb with an LED equiv. I am now thinking of replacing the dead C-cell bank with five rechargable AA's. Basically, I cut down on consumption, and reduced the ah's to match the panel size. Hopefully it'll bring these back.

On another note, like Wayne I have LED's throughout most of our house. At 55 cent grid electricity, LED's should be a good long term investment for us. Mainly we use GU10's spots which I can direct more accurately. I find the LED E27's (the ones usually with weird coverings that are supposed to replace a 'normal' bulb), either too expensive (see the Phillips one) or not as bright. I tested many GU10's until I found the best one on Amazon UK (shipped 30 of them).

Another thing we do, which is a hold over from our 8 months of no electricity before Solar, is to use lots of those AA LED motion detector lights in areas like the bathroom & kitchen. Sometimes in the middle of the night you just want a dim light to guide you - and to not have to worry about finding the switch. It cuts down on nightly draw down as well.

Another thing left over from those caveman-like months is glow in the dark tape. I put small 1 inch sections of this tape in specific areas around the house that would allow me to move around safely in the complete dark. I put the tape on light switches (to find them but also to use them as reference points), on walls, on a couple of dining room chairs, on tables, on the fridge. After a while I realized that we were almost fully functional at night in a house without any electricity, solar or otherwise. Just like the old days, eh?
    SP
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

We had converted everything to CFL. Had many problems including short life and inconsistent color temp.
    About a year ago I purchased 40-9 watt GU10, 18-12 watt GU10s and a bunch of sockets
    direct from China at unbelievable low price.
    All of our most used lighting has been replaced with the GU10s.
    There was one DOA and one other came on for about one minute then went out.
    All the rest were good and very consistent.
    We like cool white and they all have very consistent color temp.
    As mentioned above the 9 watt seem to draw more like 5 watts and the 12 watt draw 8-9 watts.
    They run off either 120 Volts or 240 Volts AC with good power factor.
    I placed them on 18 inch centers over work, eating, reading surfaces which gives very good lighting.
    They are about 2/3 the brightness of a 50 watt halogen cycle GU10.
    It is down light with very little light off to the side.
    Other than the start up problem with two of them, we have had no failures.
    I do not notice any dimming.

Other emerging LED products are 50 watt outside flat panel lights.
    I bought one to see how it works. It has a one inch square LED matrix.
    It's light output is roughly the same as a 100 watt Metal Halide in a good fixture.
    When you apply power there is a one second delay then instant on @ full output.
    They advertize 50K hr life and it runs on either 120 or 240 VAC.
    They are $81 incl shipping.
    I am going to use them to replace some aging Hg Vapor fixtures.

Another new LED thing is video projectors.
    We go through quite a few projectors.
    It had good specs and was unbelievably low cost.
    I bought it just to see if it was for real, not realizing it was LED.
    Its LED source became evident during installation.
    It is advertised @ 3k Lumins and runs great.
    It is instant on and will restart immediately after a turn off.
    We have had it about 6 months and so far no probs.