my refrigerator draw

niel
niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
my refrig draw as i stated was measured by a meter that i assume was probably a kill-a-watt meter. i don't know too much about it or even how to maintain it as i (other half actually did it)lost my booklet. it is a roper which really is whirlpool as that is marked on it too. the model number is rt20akxfw00 and that's how i knew it was 20cu ft and not 19 as i thought previously. i do have to clean out the bottom of dust bunnies and i don't actually know how to get in there to do it. old refrigs had a tray on the bottom to empty or clean, so does anybody know if this has it? the place i bought it at went out of business so i can't ask them. i thought they went under farther back in time and that's what led me to think it to be older than it is. haven't googled yet, but i'm going to see what pops up.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: my refrigerator draw

niel,

I use a refrigerator coil brush and a vacuum to clear out both of our fridges' dear old dust bunnies. The fridge brush kinda looks like a very long bottle brush, and Home Depot carries 'em. Our local big orange boxes have 'em hanging up along with stove and fridge accessories. Use the brush to dislodge the bunnies loose from the coils, and then the vacuum will suck 'em up, up and away!

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel

i didn't find too much in my google, but i did see a 21cu ft model that had an interior that looked identical to mine. my frig is different than those i knew of in the past for there are no exposed rear coils. nor do i see any access to the underbelly of the frig for dust bunnies, but it still has a running fan and a grill at the bottom like others do hence the need to clean it. i did write to roper to see if they have another manual or can give me the advice via email.
  • niel

i confronted the roper division of whirlpool with the fact i had lost my manual and they are sending one to me. this makes me smile :-D in seeing a company do this as i've seen some that are downright nasty and have said to me we either don't make it or have it anymore. i did ask if it were available via download and although they said no it isn't i think i gave them the idea of doing it online.
  • niel

update. i got the manual in on satureday just 2 days after i emailed them! :-D they copied one they had on file and sent it at an expence to themselves. you know i'd have been happy if they had just explained what in particular i was looking for out of it by email. i say 2 thumbs up for good service from the roper division of whirlpool. :-) :-)
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Not familiar with this type or age but if less then 5 years old a 19 cu-ft will draw between 1.5 and 2.5 kWH per day. A lot depends on ambient temp in the room, how good the air flow is across the condenser coils, and how long and often someone looks for something to snack on with the door open.

Keeping condenser coils clean and not blocking in on all sides/top by kitchen cabinets is important.

Couple of little parasites are defroster and ice maker. The defroster is a header (700-1000 watt) near evaporator coils in freezer section to melt ice build up on evaporator coil from humid air entering every time door is open. Mine defrosts every 16 hours for about 20 minutes although the heater is only intermittantly cycled on and off during the 20 minute defrost. I guessimate heater is on about 20-30% of the 20 minute defrost period. The little pan you mentioned is to collect the melted water and evaporate it via the condenser coil heat. Normally it is less then ounce or so of water per defrost cycle, depends on humidity in room and how often the door has been opened to absorb more humid air.

The ice maker has a heater built into the ice tray. It turns on for a couple of minutes just before every dump cycle to loosen the cubes from the tray. Mine draw about 100 watts when on.

When considering running refrig from inverter must size to handle compressor startup current which is between 12 to 18 amps for most refrigerators. Measuring run current of 1.5 to 2.0 amps and thinking you got yourself covered with inverter and battery size can be deceiving. Remember start current and defrost current. Generally, not less then 2.5 kW inverter will assure your operation. Also need at least 3 or 4 class 27 sized batteries to get reasonable run time.
  • niel

i guess i forgot to post it was made in '97 so it's 10yrs old. no icemaker as i do that the old fashioned way of ice cube trays and i think unless you throw lots of parties it's a big waste. i did get one of those coil cleaners, but i lack the ability to adapt my sweeper (phantom) to get in there for the finer stuff. any ideas?