Help me explain this circuit!

who can tell me how does this circuit work, please !

Attachment not found.

source: http://www.eleccircuit.com/inverter-12v-to-220v-100w-transistor/

or you can give me a few related books
thank in advance !

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help me explain this circuit!

Welcome to the forum.
    You've got yourself a schematic of an very simple inverter. The first two transistors on the left form an oscillator and their output is passed on to the push pull outputs on the far right, which is them converted to the higher voltage but lower current AC output by the transformer. It is the very simplest of square wave inverters with no built in protections of any kind. And no, I wouldn't recommend building it for anything more than a learning project.
    Beyond that, re your question, I would recommend you sign up for studies in electronics. If you have no background in electronics, you'll be in for some serious studies, it won't be like picking berries for dinner.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
    You've got yourself a schematic of an very simple inverter. The first two transistors on the left form an oscillator and their output is passed on to the push pull outputs on the far right, which is them converted to the higher voltage but lower current AC output by the transformer. It is the very simplest of square wave inverters with no built in protections of any kind. And no, I wouldn't recommend building it for anything more than a learning project.
    Beyond that, re your question, I would recommend you sign up for studies in electronics. If you have no background in electronics, you'll be in for some serious studies, it won't be like picking berries for dinner.

In a somewhat related story (speaking of oscillators)...

A friend of mine ran a small independent recording studio back in the dark ages of magnetic tape. He wanted his tape machine to have variable speed for pitch changing, and he had already found out the hard way that putting a variac ahead of it so he could change the voltage doesn't work for synchronous motors.

His solution: He got an old sinewave oscillator, the kind with the big clock face on it, and plugged it into the input of a 200W solid state bass amplifier. He cut the end off an extension cord and wired it into a 1/4" jack, plugged it into one of the amp's speaker jacks, and plugged the (now repaired) tape machine into the extension cord. He wired a voltmeter into the other speaker output, turned on the oscillator and the amp, set the oscillator frequency to 60Hz, and turned up the amp until he read 120V on the speaker output. Then he turned on the tape machine and tweaked the amp volume to restore the voltage to 120V.

It worked like a champ. When he played a tape with a known frequency test tone recorded conventionally on it, he could read the audio output of the tape machine on his strobotuner and use the oscillator tuning to set the tape speed to anything he wished.
  • waynefromnscanada
    ggunn wrote: »
    In a somewhat related story (speaking of oscillators)...

His solution: He got an old sinewave oscillator,

It worked like a champ. When he played a tape with a known frequency test tone recorded conventionally on it, he could read the audio output of the tape machine on his strobotuner and use the oscillator tuning to set the tape speed to anything he wished.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing :)
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing :)
    I was impressed. It was Coonass Engineering at its finest!
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    I would recommend you sign up for studies in electronics. If you have no background in electronics, you'll be in for some serious studies, it won't be like picking berries for dinner.

I recently discovered an amazing resource on line. You can take free college courses - including some great EE courses at Coursera

There are currently ongoing courses in Linear Circuits from Georgia Tech and Power Electronics from University of Colorado. In January a 2 part introductory EE course starts.

Tasty berries! ;)
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

here is a link to an interview with Andrew Ng who is one of the MOOC instructors (massive open online course) who had 100,000 students sign up for one of his early moocs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXn1DstAEuE

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    here is a link to an interview with Andrew Ng who is one of the MOOC instructors (massive open online course) who had 100,000 students sign up for one of his early moocs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXn1DstAEuE

Very cool! The other speaker is Anant Agarwal whose MIT electronics course lectures are available to watch on iTunes U. I've watched most of them. His chain saw boogie is not to be missed!
  • waynefromnscanada

It's reported one of these escaped from Area 51 due to staff reductions from the US government shut down. Even now it could be sneaking into your back yard and lying in wait, ready to POUNCE! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wE3fmFTtP9g
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

wonderful use of tax dollars. did somebody put an inverter in it to make it relevant to the thread?
  • viet_dtvt_bkdn
    viet_dtvt_bkdn Registered Users Posts: 2
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you give me a detailed explanation about that circuit or give me a related book :)
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    wonderful use of tax dollars. did somebody put an inverter in it to make it relevant to the thread?

This should be scary for your SG1 fans:
    http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Replicator