Options
2»

Comments

• Falcon
    Falcon Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options
    Re: 240v generator stepped down to 120v inverter
    Falcon wrote: »
    Since the derail is already in place, and a new inverter is beginning to seem like the safest and most practical option, how do the Magnum inverters stack up against my old 4024? Looks like the control panel is a separate purchase? Does it have more/less control parameters? I'm reading the pdf manuals and it seems comparable.

Did notice that a separate module is needed for the generator start functions.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Since the derail is already in place, and a new inverter is beginning to seem like the safest and most practical option, how do the Magnum inverters stack up against my old 4024? Looks like the control panel is a separate purchase? Does it have more/less control parameters? I'm reading the pdf manuals and it seems comparable.

I considered Magnum before I bought XW. I didn't buy Magnum because they have a very low 30A rating on pass-throuh relay, and also because there were reports on the Internet that its switching between geneator and inverter is slow and things like TVs or computers may drop out. I bought XW and it works well for me.
  • Falcon
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    I considered Magnum before I bought XW. I didn't buy Magnum because they have a very low 30A rating on pass-throuh relay, and also because there were reports on the Internet that its switching between geneator and inverter is slow and things like TVs or computers may drop out. I bought XW and it works well for me.

Xantrex equipment has always been good to me. I don't like the fact that the generator controller and control panel have to be purchased separate, unlike my "old" 4024 that had those features standard.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't like the fact that the generator controller and control panel have to be purchased separate

Its good that the controls are separate. It means that you can mount them remotely. Also, only one control panel is needed for multiple stacked inverters. You would not be happy if you had to buy a built-in control panel for each of your stacked inverters.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Falcon
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Its good that the controls are separate. It means that you can mount them remotely. Also, only one control panel is needed for multiple stacked inverters. You would not be happy if you had to buy a built-in control panel for each of your stacked inverters.
    --vtMaps
    I seem to recall you could get the SW4024 w/o the panel for stacking, and I installed several DR's with the remote panel, although the connectors they used left something to be desired for installation purposes. Hopefully the new ones don't require drilling a 2 or 3 inch hole or whatever it was to fit the connectors.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Zanbus uses a Cat5 connector @ 1/2" to 5/8" dia hole or standard EMT knockout.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!