Computer fan blowing on golf car battery bank - good/bad idea?

Options
doctorZeus
doctorZeus Registered Users Posts: 24
I have literally dozenS of computer fans, most are new or lightly used. I was thinking of taking a 140mm fan that runs a gentle but widely dispersed amount of air at a measly 12V/.2 amps. I'm going to build the battery box soon and was thinking about putting one or two of these to run 24x7 and blow across the batteries. I'm thinking that will help with dispersing vented gases, and maybe even help keep them a few degrees cooler than they would otherwise. I'm not concerned with efficiency here (i.e., is any help the fans doing worth their watts). What I'm interested in understanding is if this would help from a safety perspective (gas dispersion) and battery longevity (reduced heat).

The batteries will be housed indoors, but in the biggest room in the house (14' x 20') with no sparks, flames, or electrical activity within an 8 foot diameter. I'm considering some type of detachable "hood" for the battery box that would direct the gases out a window when doing equalization (I plan to equalize manually for the time being).

Any thoughts or considerations to offer about the fans, or safety/location/venting respective to the batteries being indoors?

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Computer fan blowing on golf car battery bank - good/bad idea?
    doctorZeus wrote: »
    I have literally dozenS of computer fans, most are new or lightly used. I was thinking of taking a 140mm fan that runs a gentle but widely dispersed amount of air at a measly 12V/.2 amps. I'm going to build the battery box soon and was thinking about putting one or two of these to run 24x7 and blow across the batteries. I'm thinking that will help with dispersing vented gases, and maybe even help keep them a few degrees cooler than they would otherwise. I'm not concerned with efficiency here (i.e., is any help the fans doing worth their watts). What I'm interested in understanding is if this would help from a safety perspective (gas dispersion) and battery longevity (reduced heat).

The batteries will be housed indoors, but in the biggest room in the house (14' x 20') with no sparks, flames, or electrical activity within an 8 foot diameter. I'm considering some type of detachable "hood" for the battery box that would direct the gases out a window when doing equalization (I plan to equalize manually for the time being).

Any thoughts or considerations to offer about the fans, or safety/location/venting respective to the batteries being indoors?
    In a large room, the hydrogen from gassing will not be a problem. More annoying will be the acid mist that may be carried out the fill/vent cap along with the hydrogen and oxygen. Just make sure it does not carry to any vulnerable surfaces and keep the top of the batteries dry.
    The fan over the top is not going to make enough difference to cooling to be worth doing and will actually spread any acid mist.
    More useful would be to allow air space between the batteries (but keep them well supported from sliding around.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.