Smart meter controversy continues

2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Smart meter controversy continues

hey, i'll do it for $20 and they can keep $15.;)
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    BC Hydro now plans to charge everyone who refuses to have a smart meter $35 per month for manual meter reading.

Some 7 years ago, our electric company put up a vote whether people want to read their meters and mark them on the bill, or they would read it for $5/month. People overhemingly voted for reading meters by themselves. However, few months later they nonetheless started reading meters and charging $5/month for that. They used to do it once every two months, so there was $10/read. I thought that was expensive, but $35 beats it hands down.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You might not be able to turn a profit on it in BC if there are few manually-read meters and far between. Our business operation costs are pretty nasty (boy do I know that). Fuel alone for driving around ... better have some super-economical transportation. And then good luck getting it up our mountains (they go down the mountain easy).

But BC Hydro employees are unionized so it is a moot point only; no private contractors will be hired.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    BC Hydro now plans to charge everyone who refuses to have a smart meter $35 per month for manual meter reading.

Our total bill is about $5 more than that, so I have no problem with the smart meter.

Coot , Watch this Gentleman 20 min lecture , Then tell me all the EMF is safe 22-7-360 a year . We have a North American problem with diabetes /overweight (Junk / poor food ) Alzheimer's/ dementia (Were lab rats with the pharmaceutical ) So Im not in favour with more EMF that I spend 22-24 hrs around.. When I worked for (69-80) BC Hydro - PA ,, the amount of hair tingling was a nice warning , it was the strikes of lighting or in the smaller hydro / gen stations tree / service poles that would make the plant GRUNT and your body would feel it. No shocks as in sparks , just the wave of ?? Gut grind..

The gent has very Valid points , and speaks above my pay grade.

Earlier this year I purchased a watt meter to the entire house , this was to let me know when I really use power,, Last Thursday I had the full pull on hydro , Shop in production , compressors , and I'm spoiled , AC in the shop to cool a 4000 S/ft 15 foot ceiling well insulated building. I used 70 kWh that day.
    That is the Most I can see me using.. adv is 45 till the wood dragons start..
    So now Im going to start to figure a system to build. AC is only used if we need to work hard & keep smart, Mistakes are fatal .. a few times a year max, if there's no rush & everything is up and working , AC is off & were in the kiddo pools 8)..

VT
  • Cariboocoot

Sorry; having been exposed to various frequencies and intensities of EMF over many decades I am unable to watch the video due to having died several years ago. :p
  • niel

can't be so coot as you didn't read your obituary in the paper.
  • Cariboocoot
    niel wrote: »
    can't be so coot as you didn't read your obituary in the paper.

I'm not important enough for my passing to be noticed.

Curiously, my Dad was a radar technician and TV/appliance repairman before I was born, back in the days when there was almost no concern for blocking RF. He used to warm his hands under the magnatron. So it's likely I was never even born, which would also explain the lack of obituary.

By the way, he's still alive and even older than I am.
  • niel

cdn_vt,
    if you are that concerned about low frequency emf then know that only when the expose is at extremely high potentials does it really pose a problem. the fcc has guidelines on this. as frequencies go up the danger increases some. it plateaus then decreases some before leveling off. i can't say what levels you encountered, but odds are if you felt it it was too high.

i don't wish to scare you, but the sum of all of the radio sources hitting us all day in and day out is more than some realize. even when you think there's nothing around you for many many miles when you are in a remote location that you have a great deal of radio energy bouncing off the layers of our atmoshere, satellite transmissions, and space background emissions still hitting you. you would see this in microvolts for the record and is the sum of all. the ac waveforms would be very complex and would add and subtract from one another being in differing phase and frequency so a consistent voltage won't be seen. many have used a sensitive mv meter and a long piece of wire and have seen movement at times and some in cities close to tv and radio transmitters can see readings going very high.

to make a long story short, the smaller ones even if consistent are not much of a problem, but as the strength is raised and times raised, that does raise concerns too. even with exposures where damage occurs, this is often reversed by healing. no chances for healing leads to more permanent damage. it is allot of gray areas too, but hey i'm fine even after being in close proximity to 50kw transmitters.

coot,
    well i certainly hope he's older than you are as that would be a neat trick.

maybe you are transdimensional and the obit is in another dimension?

i do know somebody who got fried by a military radar. this is your brain looking like scramled eggs.:confused:
  • Cariboocoot

Niel;

There was a 50kW radio station near where I grew up: civil defense designation. AM @ 1180 Hz. It did not take much to pick up their broadcast; a length of wire, a diode, an earpiece, and a ground. Some people claimed they could get it on their teeth fillings it was so strong.

People like to take the scientific fact of microwave ovens and use it to promote an anti-RF agenda that is unjustified. As you said, even when you think you're not being exposed you are.

And the data is in on cell phones; the biggest danger from them is that people don't pay attention to the world around them when they use the things. Numerous incidents of walking & texting or talking and running in to things or being hit by vehicles because they ignore the world around them.

Neither Neil or I mean to belittle anyone over this: we make light of issues like this sometimes because we all need humour in our lives. Some of us more so than others just now.

Please do not take everything you hear about electromagnetism as gospel. Consider the source, investigate the so-called studies. Too often it is anecdotal at best and total fabrication at worst. A true scientific study is very difficult thing to achieve these days.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I am considering buying a used meter and installing it on a nearby tree to increase my amusement.
    --vtMaps

The really fun part would be seeing what happened when he turned in his report on your meter reading. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    to make a long story short, the smaller ones even if consistent are not much of a problem, but as the strength is raised and times raised, that does raise concerns too.

If you walk outside during the day you will get hit by 1000+ watts per square meter of radiation. Some of that radiation is ionizing and will give you skin cancer. Compare this to the - at absolute most - few watts of EM non-ionizing radiation you receive from local RF sources.
  • rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not important enough for my passing to be noticed.

Curiously, my Dad was a radar technician and TV/appliance repairman before I was born, back in the days when there was almost no concern for blocking RF. He used to warm his hands under the magnatron. So it's likely I was never even born, which would also explain the lack of obituary.

By the way, he's still alive and even older than I am.
    ..............Hey Coot my father worked in the same field in BC...at first on the good ship QUADRA...he was the ships radio tech in the 60s and early 70s...then transfered to the Pat-bay airport (Vancouver Island) as chief electronic technician....he won an order of Canada mention for some repeater tower mods saving milloins in upgrades,(if only He had patent)....maby They(our Fathers) crossed paths somewere?
  • Cariboocoot
    rich wrote: »
    ..............Hey Coot my father worked in the same field in BC...at first on the good ship QUADRA...he was the ships radio tech in the 60s and early 70s...then transfered to the Pat-bay airport (Vancouver Island) as chief electronic technician....he won an order of Canada mention for some repeater tower mods saving milloins in upgrades,(if only He had patent)....maby They(our Fathers) crossed paths somewere?

Probably not as it would have been 20 years earlier for my Dad and on the other side of the continent. :D
  • rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

Dad just recently passed at 93 ..RIP, he spent some time in the east after the war...anyway , just a thought.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Niel;

There was a 50kW radio station near where I grew up: civil defense designation. AM @ 1180 Hz.
    kHz, maybe? :D

15 characters
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

No, for Clear Channel AM stations, they can be as high as 50 kWatt of output:

List of North American broadcast station classes

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

ggunn,
    you are correct as it is 1180 khz or more properly 1.18 mhz.
  • BB.

Opps... Sorry... For some reason I saw kW...

-Bill :blush:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    BB. wrote: »
    Opps... Sorry... For some reason I saw kW...

-Bill :blush:

some say the eyes go first.:p been there already.:cry:
  • BB.

I think it is the eyes are the second to go--I forget the first. :cry:

-Bill
  • niel

bill,
    coot will appreciate these last few posts from us. that last one i really like.:D
  • Cariboocoot
    niel wrote: »
    bill,
    coot will appreciate these last few posts from us. that last one i really like.:D

What last two posts? I guess I didn't see them. Or maybe I forgot I did. :p

People only notice my typos because they occur infrequently. (There's a pun in there somewhere; look for it. Or forget about it.)