Cleaning Panels????

jimShaw
jimShaw Registered Users Posts: 18
I did a research on this forum and did not find any info regarding cleaning panels. I know it should be here but nothing popped up.

I have 22 panels installed and love taking $$$ out of So. Cal. Edison's pocket.

Now that I am an owner, I want to keep the panels clean for better production.

To clean, what I have been doing is to take a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle and spray the panels with lots of water every 3-4 months. This is what was recommend by the installation company because they said there is a film over the panels and to do anything more might scratch the film.

Is what I am doing good OR do you recommend something else?

For those who like information.
Panels: Canadian Solar, model C55P-235P, rating 206.7 W-ptc
Emphase Energy: model M215-60-2LL-52X, rating 215 W-AC
Array Rating: Efficiency 96.0%, 4,547.4 W-ptc
System Rating: 4.366 kW

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Cleaning Panels????

You're good. The company gave you correct info about the film. Avoid harsh chemicals, but you can use a mild detergent and even window cleaner if needs be. Most of the time they won't need any cleaning. Normal dust has little effect on production. Heavier layers or things like leaves/tree pollen will.

One caution is to not hit them with water when they are hot or producing: then you have the double problem of thermal shock and the water 'lensing' causing concentration of light on cells. It won't absolutely damage anything, but it increases the risk.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

I've never cleaned my panels, except for snow, and they look very clean :cool:
  • jimShaw

I thank you for your knowledge.

Yes, I have been careful. I wait until the sun is almost down in the late afternoon and not on the panels. I do a test with the garage door which is in direct sun light. If the door has cooled down to the touch, that is when I spray.

Once again, I thank you.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Yep that is all I do, usually early morning when the panels are still cool. We do get a slight increase in production after cleaning but we get Haboob.
  • jimShaw
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    I've never cleaned my panels, except for snow, and they look very clean :cool:

Excellent. Thanks, NorthGuy
  • jimShaw
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Yep that is all I do, usually early morning when the panels are still cool. We do get a slight increase in production after cleaning but we get Haboob.

Thanks, Solar Dave

This might be a solar term that I am not familiar with Haboob What the heck does it mean?:D
  • solar_dave
    jimShaw wrote: »
    Thanks, Solar Dave

This might be a solar term that I am not familiar with Haboob What the heck does it mean?:D
    A haboob (Arabic: هَبوب‎ "blasting/drafting") is a type of intense dust storm carried on an atmospheric gravity current. Haboobs occur regularly in arid regions throughout the world.
    Haboob2.jpg
    This is one blowing into Phoenix.

1024px-KSM_1066a.JPG
    This one is coming into the east side of town.

http://bcove.me/u6ivxs5q
  • jimShaw
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Haboob2.jpg
    This is one blowing into Phoenix.

1024px-KSM_1066a.JPG
    This one is coming into the east side of town.

Holy Cr-p. After that goes by, everything has to be washed
  • solar_dave
    jimShaw wrote: »
    Holy Cr-p. After that goes by, everything has to be washed

You certainly want to make sure the house is closed up tight. The wife is a Virgo and the hose gets about a 2 hour work out cleaning everything after one. I have seen the day after cars churning up the dust on the roads from a heavy one.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

wow. idea---put the pots and pans on a clothesline and let them get pelted clean. i gotta admit i didn't think of it as it was featured on a star trek episode.
  • jimShaw
    niel wrote: »
    wow. idea---put the pots and pans on a clothesline and let them get pelted clean. i gotta admit i didn't think of it as it was featured on a star trek episode.

That would do it.

I remember once, many years ago, I was driving from Las Vegas to California when a dust/sand storm hit. It sure cleaned the paint off the car. Made the once blue car a very shiny silver/metal color.
  • jimShaw

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your input and advice. It helped tremendously.

m
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Jim, imagine what a paint and body shop would charge for that valuable prep-before-paint result:cool:

Ralph
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wash off my panels in the early AM, about 1x a month in the summer. Just a hose and high pressure nozzle. In the AM, they are often damp from dew, and clean easier. If you have hard water, you CAN use a car wash DI (de-ionised) rinse like from a Mr Clean car wash unit.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,