2nd Outback FlexMax Charger Controller

Options
I currently have an Outback FM60 charge controller for my system. I want to add some more panels to my system but it would put me over the recommended wattage for my 24v system (and would put me right on the edge for the MAX supported). I can't just redo everything for 48v so was looking at getting another FlexMax charge controller. I would then balance the panels between them (3 on each now, and then 5 on each when I get the new panels).

So my question are these:

1. Can I do this with the FM60? I have the necessary Mate and 4 port hub (I free port since I also have an inverter). My understanding is the once connected to the hub, the system will work in a master/slave configuration and synchronize the bulk/absorb/float signals.

2. Can I mix an FM60 and an FM80? The FM80 is not much more in cost and if I ever need to go even higher, I can just get another FM80 and remove the FM60, and that would give me the room for a few more panels.

Thanks

Roy

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 2nd Outback FlexMax Charger Controller

Not a problem paralleling FM controllers of any size or quantity. They don't even need the HUB to communicate with, although that will make things better.
  • RoySalisbury
    RoySalisbury Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 2nd Outback FlexMax Charger Controller
    Not a problem paralleling FM controllers of any size or quantity. They don't even need the HUB to communicate with, although that will make things better.

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply.

Roy