LED Readout, Voltmeter + Ampmeter Suggestions?

thatguy
thatguy Registered Users Posts: 7
Recently I discovered the led readout voltmeter I have been using for the past year has developed a discrepancy, reading 12.7v when actual voltage was 12.4.

The gap in accuracy is too severe for my tastes, and so I am in the market for a new one.
I also am looking to expand what is currently just reading volts, to reading volts and amp usage.
After poking around a bit, I have seen several of these combo devices on Amazon, but none with voltage readouts to 2 decimal places, which is my preference.

Is there a device that fits my needs that anyone would recommend?

Comments

• tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Re: LED Readout, Voltmeter + Ampmeter Suggestions?

I have a Fluke 376 and love it.
  • thatguy

Ah, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer, I am looking for a installation unit for reading voltage and amperage off my solar rig. Not a multimeter. But thank you for the suggestion, I will look into the Fluke 376 next time I am in the market for a new multimeter.

I am looking for something more like this: http://www.amazon.com/BeesClover-Digital-Ammeter-Voltmeter-2-cloer/dp/B00C7MJ5LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379116466&sr=8-1&keywords=led+voltmeter+ammeter
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have the same problems with panel meters being horribly inaccurate so I finally gave up and went with the handheld meter. How about using a Trimetric 2025a battery meter?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

although i agree that some meters can read wrong, i have to ask how you know it is off and is actually 12.4v?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Got a couple of these about 6 months ago. Very satisfied with them. Also their thermometer to which I added a 30 foot extension wire to the sensor.
    http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/575-Panel-Volt-Meter-%252d-4.5V-to-30VDC.html
  • thatguy
    niel wrote: »
    although i agree that some meters can read wrong, i have to ask how you know it is off and is actually 12.4v?

I checked it against my multimeter.
    Both the voltmeter mounted to the wall, and the multimeter are attached directly to the battery bank.
    I just took this photo, panels are out of direct sunlight.
    http://i.imgur.com/VGXjELc.jpg
    Got a couple of these about 6 months ago. Very satisfied with them. Also their thermometer to which I added a 30 foot extension wire to the sensor.
    http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/575-Panel-Volt-Meter-%252d-4.5V-to-30VDC.html

I am looking for something with 2 decimal places for the voltmeter, but I may have to settle for this if I can't find what I'm looking for.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    thatguy wrote: »
    I am looking for something with 2 decimal places for the voltmeter, but I may have to settle for this if I can't find what I'm looking for.

If it shows two decimal numbers, doesn't mean it is so precise. On most meters, last digit is below the specified precision.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    If it shows two decimal numbers, doesn't mean it is so precise. On most meters, last digit is below the specified precision.

The previous one I had had two decimal points, but found that last point to be distracting, kept jumping around with the slightest change in a voltage that was almost never exactly constant. Personal preference, but I like the single point better overall once I got used to it, which took about an hour.
    For me, the double point was too busy providing readings that weren't that important. But to each their own.
  • inthejungle
    inthejungle Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭

I used something like this, checked voltage of my system on my fluke, then on my outback and then on my Victron and all were the same. These have great reputations and easy to install

http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-600s%20and%20bmv-602s/
    In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

The importance of using some sort of standard you can trust is important, and the Fluke is the one for me for peace of mind.

Cheaper multimeters may have many significant digits, but as pointed out they are only useful for casual use if there is no accuracy to begin with. Some of my cheaper multimeters are also very sensitive to their internal battery voltage, and readings can differ wildly as the internal batteries age.

At least a Fluke will put your mind to rest or serve to calibrate the other devices.