Canadian Solar Panels?

Options
silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking to add a new array next year, and have found these panels close to $1.00/watt online. I have been looking at the CS6P-250P and/or CS6P-255M. Has anyone had any good/bad results with Canadian Solar? :confused: Thanks.

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Canadian Solar Panels?

We use Canadian Solar all the time. Made in China, but Canadian owned. Consistent good pricing and availability.
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    We use Canadian Solar all the time. Made in China, but Canadian owned. Consistent good pricing and availability.

Thank you. Looking forward to another 1530 W on this new array.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Few wks ago picked up some Canadian Solar CS6P-225 panels left over from a big job. Excellent price and appear to be excellent quality.
    So far very happy with them and see no reason not to be.
    Quite sobering when I look at the price differences between now and when I first got addicted. My first panels were around $7 per watt, the latest less than $1. WOW!
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Options

I've got 22 CS6P-225P's on my roof. They have consistently pumped out power since they were installed, and I've actually been a fair bit above the PV-watts estimate every year (although how much of that has to do with weather, and how much with equipment, is hard to say).
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

although i've not heard anything bad about them you could also get a usa made mono solar world pv for just a bit over a $1 a watt from our host.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options

Niel, here are the photos of my latest PV installation. 900 watts Canadian Solar hinged in the middle and supported by baby barn. Adjustment supports are still temporary, still working on that part. And of course everything is up to code as you can see. NOT!
    Baby barn was moved to proper location for this purpose. Hard to believe these 4 panels put out basically the same power as the old array high up on the solar shed. Another few wks and they'll all be repositioned to the vertical for Winter to prevent snow buildup and take full advantage of light reflected off the snow we usually get over Winter. The slight loss from not being elevated exactly to the sun is well outweighed here by snow reflection.
    OH! And yes, this is all treated wood and all aluminum is separated from the treated wood by plastic barrier to prevent corrosion that will otherwise take place where contact exists.
    1292976_zpsd24a4c34.jpg
    1292975_zpsb4fbeedc.jpg
    1292977_zpsaee8ffeb.jpg
    1292981_zpse3127c9d.jpg
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

Congratulations! Looks like you have a space for 4 more panels on your new stand.
    Hard to believe these 4 panels put out basically the same power as the old array high up on the solar shed.

Why do they produce that much compared to the old one. Did the old ones deteriorate over time?
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Why do they produce that much compared to the old one. Did the old ones deteriorate over time?

Thanks, was fun getting them up in position all by myself. Haha
    Re output, the old ones are all but one, 110 watts each, and the odd one which is 120, total 1000 watts, and they're still apparently putting out pretty much what they always did. The new ones total 900 watts. They are bigger panels, but apparently the efficiency is higher than the old 12 volt ones, they cover far less area. AND the total weight is a lot less than the old ones, which I also raised by myself. Stubborn old bugger wouldn't ask for help if he was stuck in a well. Hahaha
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Wayne,

Your new articulated mounts look very sporty indeed. Does Fido adjust the angle for you, or was he the helper?

Also like your Solar Shed. Nice work! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi Wayne,

Your new articulated mounts look very sporty indeed. Does Fido adjust the angle for you, or was he the helper?

Also like your Solar Shed. Nice work! Vic
    Thanks Vic.hopefully it will work as well as I hope.
    No, unfortunately Fido is no help, but insists on inspecting and supervising everything and every move, but I have a feeling the aim is not promoting quality work, but rather hoping I might throw a stick. Hahaha
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

looks good wayne. i know this is a dumb question, but did you start reaping the power yet?

throw a 2x4 and see what you dog does.:confused:
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    looks good wayne. i know this is a dumb question, but did you start reaping the power yet?

throw a 2x4 and see what you dog does.:confused:

Hahaha Thanks Miel, and yes, reaping the power for a few days now. And great to see the batteries get fully charged on a cloudy day. That was a first!
    Still ironing out the occasional misunderstandings between the MX-60 and the TS-MPPT-60, but appear to be getting there. The TS handles the competition much better, doesn't get mad and quit cooperating like the MX does. Appears the solution is to set the MX absorb voltage a volt higher than the TS. That way the MX thinks it's top dog and continues to play along. I did have to deactivate the automatic restarts on the MX though, to prevent it declaring "Battery Full", then going to sleep every time it did a restart.
    Oh, and yes, at 100 pounds of mostly bone and muscle, Bella would have no problems retrieving a 2X4, but would much prefer if I would throw it out in the lake for her. Not kidding. Hahaha