Prosine fan replacement, Would you...?

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK I finally got some time this morning to replace the fan in my 24 volt Prosine 1800 inverter. The fan was not turning freely and had no response when I applied a 12volt source. I had a computer case fan with near the same amperage and voltage(surprised to find it was 12 volt!).

Well I've got it back together and then decided I should check to find air flow specs for the 'new' case fan I installed, and I can't find any specs. It appears to be a quality fan and it's ball bearing. So should I hook it up, or find the same fan to replace it? Of course I'm not even positive this is all that's wrong, it would work fine, but over heat when asked to deliver higher wattages.

Something I worry about a bit is the new fan is very quiet compared to the old, but I don't know it I can just go by wattage to compare air flow....

Any ideas?

Attachment not found.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: Prosine fan replacement, Would you...?

Looks a little thicker, but If it fits in, I would use that one.

Although a new one is probably only $10 or so.
  • Photowhit
    Re: Prosine fan replacement, Would you...?

They are the same size, the 'new' one is 1.8watt vs the old one being 1.6watt.

Too hot outside today to install it so I thought I'd see what others thought. I was surprised how clean and relatively dust free the inside was, compared to the fan. It's an exhaust fan so I figured the inside would be at least as dusty, but it's not bad.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    edited February 2020 #4
    FWIW - an update on this, I'll finally take this inverter 'off line' and make it a backup inverter to a larger one I spec'd for my new home 7+ years ago.  The simple fan replacement lasted 6+ years. I'll leave it wired in on a E-panel transfer switch. to use as a backup. Now to reinstall the transfer switch. 

When I get done, I will have every Panel mount breaker slot (3) 5 of 6 Din rail breaker slot , and primary DC breaker.  With little luck,  I'll figure out how to install the whiz-bang jr with the crowd of wiring.