Batteries Sparking on Connect

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
Ive connected batteries before, but they have been regular 6v batteries connected in series to make a 12v battery.

Im working with a set of 4 - 12V batteries and ive connected them in series because my wind turbine inverter/cc is rated at 48V. Ive interconnected all 4 batteries, POS to NEG. Ive connected the NEG terminal to the inverter and when I tried connecting the remaining terminal to the POS cable, I got a spark, which startled me, so I stopped.

Im pretty sure this is normal, but I wanted to just double check. And ask if there is anything else I can to just to make sure? :)

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Batteries Sparking on Connect

Got a spark on connecting the inverter to battery? No surprise there; inverters have pretty big capacitors in them that draw quite a whack of power to charge up initially. This is why it's best to connect with a 'snap switch' rather than just snag the cable on. Second best is to connect through a resistive load like an incandescent bulb and let the caps charge up slowly through that before making the final connection.

Sparks are not only scary, they can be dangerous.
  • WNY Dave
    WNY Dave Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭

Yes, we had the same problem hooking up new batteries to the 2 inverters, it sparked pretty good! and we jumped a bit too.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

STOP!

From what I see, you used the auxiliary binding posts to do the serial connections, and not the major posts themselves. Use the big posts, NOT the auxiliary posts for interconnections. Those smaller auxiliary posts are convenience attachments for relatively low-current devices like radios etc and are not meant for interconnects.

It also appears that you are using the auxiliary posts for charging too. Not good - use the proper posts for that.

I see you've picked the dual-purpose blue-tops that have the light-gray case for deeper cycling - good. I've had friends assume the blue tops were all the same, and found out the hard way that the black-plastic casings with blue tops are the SLI starter version.

Did you charge each battery individually prior to putting them into the string? - hoping to start out in a balanced condition before string usage.
  • t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@pnjunction......those arent auxilary connectors, the optima deep cycle marine battery has the regular type of battery post connector for some boats and separate connectors for other boats......they both have the same resistance from the plates.....so no worries there
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update on the blue-tops alternate threaded connections. I was thinking along the lines of the yellowtop with side connectors, where Optima does not recommend long-term winching from them - short-term starts ok, but long term, high current on the side posts were asking for trouble.

Looks like the blue-tops threaded posts can handle a sustained load like when guys go trolling and whatnot. Thanks for the correction as I'll keep that in mind when I need a blue-top..