Picture of an array recessed into a tile roof?

I need a picture of an good looking array recessed into a tile roof. I know i've seen this done (tile removed and replaced with comp shingles underneath the array) but can't find it now of course. Have a customer whose best space is on the front roof and need to convince him we can do it astheticly.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Picture of an array recessed into a tile roof?

This one look pretty nice:

http://reisolar.com/gallery/tile-roof-1/

Attachment not found.

You do have the ventilation issues (hot panels, less output).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

thx so much. that will do.
    This customer needs about a 12kW system, but only has room for 36 modules (mostly east and west facing) on his large garage and large home. Even that will need 2 inverters to get the 9kw and the 3 orientations. Thus the need to use the clean front roof of the garage. Sure would be nice if PowerOne or SolarEdge would make a 7.5kW unit. Instead, have to combine 2 inverters and derate the main breaker. SMA has 7kW but can't handle the one string that is only 4 modules. Fronius has 7.5kW but only single input.
    thx again...
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    Even that will need 2 inverters to get the 9kw and the 3 orientations.

Sounds like a good place for micro inverters, but I think you need some space behind the panels. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

If it is in a hot locale it may adversely effect the panel temps and performance. Have some air flow behind the panels is preferable.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Recessed roofing is a bad idea.
    If the tile roof is pre-existing the labor cost per watt goes up.
    All tiles within 8" of the array have to be removed from left and right side of the arrays, existing tar paper flap from the bottom must be left in order to make a proper over lap in flashing.

Then a Bitchumen layer composite "torch down" has to be applied as the water proofer.

Prior to that process the rafters should be found in order to find the anchoring. The anchoring then happens after the bitchumen. Then depending on the size of the anchor or bracket used for the racking system, additional bitchumen is then torched down to make a water proof barrier.

It just rises the price per watt for installation and the null effect is that it does hinder performance as the minimum gap spacing or clearance for the panels to roof for cooling should be approximately 2".

I am a GC class B contractor and a consultant for 2 solar firms. I will tell you its not worth the time and energy, as the ROI is extended by atleast 10% from what it takes for a typical installation. It looks nice but it doesn't yield any real cost savings benefit from the build aspect.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

We don't recommend this method either, mostly cause of the ventilation problem causing even higher temps, but in this case the customer's attitude is that cost is no object. We would definitely have our licensed roofer come in to do whatever he recommends for this job.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

You should up sell the project for better efficiency.
    Since the system doesn't have proper elevation for ventilation opportunity.
    Heat exchanger heat recovery system using refrigerant will increase PV efficiency, higher than STC condition by 10% to 15%.
    http://www.earthlinked.com/files/downloads/documents/White-Papers/WP-PV_Module_Heat_Recovery.pdf
    Client can use the heat extracted from the panels into the AC system.
    My self and another c46 contractor are working on a heat exchanger element to specifically heat pools by extracting heat from the PV panels, doesn't quite have the dynamic that refridgerant has, but both methods work for cooling.