low water

erne
erne Solar Expert Posts: 41
I have a neighbor that is on the grid but his well is running dry and he asked if I could come up with a remedy for him. He can run it for about 6 minutes then it is out of water. It is 220 volt single phase.
My remedy is what I have done with many off grid ranch wells. Install a under ground tank (prevent freezing) with a float system to operate the well. Use a lesser pump to pressurize household. All the wells were 110v or grunfos types. and If low water was a problem I used a time delay system that adjust the time on and off separately.
The problem is can I use a 110v time off and on repeating system on an 220 volt pump. They have a 110v pressure switch operating the pump now. ? I think?
Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: low water

don't know if this would work but what about one of those constant flow pumps that has a water shut off sensor that activates when the water level drops so it doesn't run dry and then another sensor to open the tank fill valve when the water level rises?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Re: low water

http://www.nationaldriller.com/articles/89169-tech-topics-non-pressurized-tanks-help-well-supply-meet-demand

Also, size the pump where it won't outpump the well, install a pump-tec which will trip the pump if it's not pumping or various other devices out there designed for a situation like this.