Solar - Off/On switch - submersible - OK??

Options
Dolly Bee
Dolly Bee Solar Expert Posts: 30
No, well not drilled yet - (we're still here - not up there)

So, No, I don't know what lift will be (water dowser estimated 175' to water).

Summer use only -

Plan is to top off uphill water tank daily for just us 2 & the dogs.

So - is solar panel(s) to off/on switch to pump OK ??

Since no battery is involved - question is if I need a charge controller or not ??

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar - Off/On switch - submersible - OK??

You only need a charge controller if there's a battery being charged. You might need a linear current booster, depending on the pump/panels.

It is normal for there to be some type of switch to shut off the pump even if solar power is available. Sometimes this is based on pressure, sometimes on volume, rarely manual (or a manual override in addition to the automatic switch). It all depends on the particular installation. The switch has to be able to handle the maximum Voltage (Voc from panels) and maximum current (Isc from panels) so that it won't fail if switching under either state.
  • Dolly Bee
    Dolly Bee Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options

Thanks Cariboocoot again.

Charge Controller - thought so.

The rest - well, understood most - part is obviously a wait and see (installation) - OK

Switch - OK - thanks as is not what I was thinking - again. Will be sure to try to learn more - not sure if that is here or there.

Sure is great having you guys - wish there was someone up there or even down here that could do more "show & tell" with me. (visual learner ;-)

People don't get back to me or just want to sell a whole house project that they install.
    Seem to have a problem with - does not apply to my situation. ;-)
  • Fernweh
    Fernweh Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

I have just installed/worked on two different solar well pump system, both featured a Grundfos SQF pump. I did installed a switch on both systems, pump is connected directly to the solar panel array.
    For a different reason, I did install a 100A 240V manual transfer switch ON-OFF-ON (TC-10323-R) - it works very well :-).
    The switch is a two pole blade switch, as mentioned before rated at 100A. You can use its center position as an off-switch.
    I did use the second on-position as a (optional) connection to a 30A 125V generator (w/ 3 AWG#10 wire ~500' away). The generator will power the Grundfos solar pump with its AC power. No extra device is necessary!

15192948uv.jpg

Karl