SMA Sunny Island 5048 vs 6.0H ?

Options
Gatti
Gatti Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
Is there any functional difference between 5048 and 6.0H ?
As I inderstood, 6.0H is newest ?

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: SMA Sunny Island 5048 vs 6.0H ?

Correct, 6.0H is newer and it has a remote control panel. The 5048 has the control panel built into the unit, which is not as convenient.
    In terms of actual functionality, the key difference is that the 5048 is rated for 5kW and the 6.0H for 4.6kW. There may be other minor feature differences in the 6.0H, but you may have to study the manual to find them.
  • Gatti
    Options

So you mean that it is more preferable to buy SMA SI 6,0H than 5048 (power is enough) ?
  • stephendv
    Options

Yes, newer is better :)
  • Gatti
    Options

And which accessories for SMA SI 6.0H (like Sunny Remote Control) you can advice to buy ?
  • stephendv
    Options

If you buy just 1 x SI 6.0H then the Sunny Remote Control comes with it and it's included in the price. If you buy more than 1 then you have the option of only buying 1 SRC to control both of them.

If you want to do monitoring of the SI then you could buy the RS-485 piggyback module. With this you can monitor it using open source software, or with the SMA webbox.
  • Gatti
    Options

stevendv,
    You already had experience in using SI 5048 with PV.
    Do you consider SMA SI is the best choice for your case ?
    How about reliability and convenience ?
    Are the Data Logging enough to be sure that system working correctly ? How about quality of the internet monitoring ability ?

I am asking due to choosing question.
    Choosing between Studer (Steca) Xtender XTM 4000-48 (3500 kwt) and SMA SI 6.0H (4600 kwt).
    The problem is SMA is not supplied officially to my country so it is no service, support etc.
    But I feel that it is excellent equipmen and also I like it.

In other hand Studer has around the same quality and functionality. And also Studer has a official service here.
    Here SMA price = Studer + 10% (cheap due to SMA is delivered by non official suppliers)
    What is your opinion about this choice ?
  • stephendv
    Options

I'm very happy with the Sunny Island, does what's needed, has a built in battery monitor and the communication protocol is open (they even provide an open source code to use it). I don't use the SMA internet monitoring as its an additional device and too expensive.

An inverter is a long term investment, so in my opinion it's better to go with one that's supported locally. I don't have direct experience with the Studer, but it has a good reputation for quality and is very similar to the sunny island in functionality. The only complaint I've heard about it is that it's complicated to program. In your shoes, I would go with the Studer.
  • Gatti
    Options

Concerning your system: is it right that your total battery capacity is 48v*900Ah=43.2kwh ?
  • Gatti
    Options

Thank you for advice.
    In general my meaning was been the same.
    The doubt is only due to quality and possibility to buy SMA by relatively cheaper price (for example the same power Studer's price is at least 20% higher).
  • stephendv
    Options

Ah! I misunderstood, I thought the studer was cheaper. Have you investigated other brands like Victron Multiplus, Outback and Xantrex? They are usually better priced than studer and SMA.

Yes, my battery is about 900ah at 48v, it's designed for 7kWh/day for 3 days, and then to be at 50% depth of discharge.
  • Gatti
    Options

Situation like this:
    Victron and Outback are really little cheaper, Xantrex - around the same like Studer.
    I think that cheap price for SMA is temporary thing until official distributor will come to market.
    I have listen that during 1 - 2 years SMA will start official selling.
    So you mean take attention to Victron or Outback ?
  • Gatti
    Options

And I have another question.
    Is it difficult to set up using xively like you did ? What is annual charge ?
    And for example if I would buy Studer Xtender 4000-48 can it be connected with xively ?
  • stephendv
    Options
    Gatti wrote: »
    And I have another question.
    Is it difficult to set up using xively like you did ? What is annual charge ?
    And for example if I would buy Studer Xtender 4000-48 can it be connected with xively ?

Xively has a free and a commercial service. As long as you don't send data too often (I think slower than once every 5 minutes), then you can use the free service.
    I don't know much about the Xtender, I seriously doubt they integrate with xively, I think they have their own managed site if you buy their communications add ons.
  • Gatti
    Options

These days I have researched a lot of materials for SMA IS 6.0H.
    And by time like it more and more.
    I already close the eyes to absence of the service, risk of the damage during shipping.
    Even not afraid installation difficulties.
    But how about configuration process ?
    Is it difficult to set up parameters of inverter before using ?
    And are there factory settings of the parameters ?
    Because it will need do by myself.
  • stephendv
    Options

Configuration is easy and is clearly explained in the manual. Factory settings are fine too, the only slightly complicated thing to install is the external current shunt which you will need if you use a non-SMA charge controller for the batteries. But again, this process is clearly explained in the manual.
    I think using a non-SMA MPPT charge controller is the best option, you can buy a top of the line 80A midnite solar classic at a very reasonable price compared to the SMA charge controller. Midnite also has plans to integrate their charge controller with the Sunny Island in the future.
  • Gatti
    Options

Today I have decided to buy SMA SI.
    Maybe at the same time also buy Sunny Boy ?
    For example If use up to 3 kW of PV which model of Sunny Boy is better and reliable ? What accessories it needs ?
    Or you advice buy Midnite controller ?
  • stephendv
    Options
    Today I have decided to buy SMA SI.
    Maybe at the same time also buy Sunny Boy ?
    For example If use up to 3 kW of PV which model of Sunny Boy is better and reliable ? What accessories it needs ?
    Or you advice buy Midnite controller ?

For most installation, I think the midnite controller is a better choice because:
    - It's about 40% of the price of the equivalent sunny boy.
    - It's more efficient at charging the battery. To charge the battery with a sunny boy involves double conversion losses.
    - If the sunny island is faulty, then you can't charge the batteries at all if you had a sunny boy. With midnite, it works independently.
    - The sunny boy + sunny island combination doesn't work well with certain modern washing machines, because they rely on a stable grid frequency.
    - DC charging of the battery is a straight forward setup, no fancy and complicated frequency changing on the AC line

Having said that, the sunny boy has some advantages:
    - The midnite has an input voltage limit of 150V for some models and 250V for others, so for 3kW you will have quite a few parallel strings of solar modules. Sunny boy has 600V input limit, so cabling is reduced and you typically don't need any additional breakers/fuses, you can just plug 2 parallel strings into the sunny boy.
    - For the same reason above, if the distance between the solar array and the batteries is large then going 600V can help reduce wiring costs.
    - You only need 1 DC breaker or fuse for the battery bank, no other high amp DC fuses needed because sunny boy to sunny island connection is AC.

In my opinion the advantages of sunny boy are small and not significant enough to warrant the high cost and the complication of the AC frequency control they use.

The midnite is a great controller, but if you can't get it where you are then the outback FM series and even the morningstar MPPT are good controllers, they will all work with the sunny island setup as long as you buy the additional current shunt that is required. At least the midnite has the possibility that it may integrate better with the sunny island in the near future, which the other controllers don't have.
  • Gatti
    Options

Thank you.
    Maybe you will propose me two sets of equipment for 3.0 kWp: one for Sunny Boy and second for Midnite controller (with accessories).
    After make clear the sets and make decision I will try to find them to buy.
    Probably I will use the following solar panels 10 pcs x 300 W:
    Rated output PMPP (W) 300
    Voltage UMPP (V) 36.70
    Current IMPP (A) 8.17
    Open-circuit voltage VOC (V) 45.50
    Short-circuit current ISC (A) 8.83

By the way is it needs to use voltage stabilizer before inverter due to in winter voltage falling down lower than 170 V?
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

By the way is it needs to use voltage stabilizer before inverter due to in winter voltage falling down lower than 170 V?
    In the winter, both the Voc and the Vmp should increase not decrease with temperature!
    And an MPPT charging system will make up for reduced light levels by drawing a smaller current at the appropriate Vmp voltage. You only need to use voltage stabilizers (output optimizers) when there are partial shading effects or other conditions that differ from panel to panel.
    You do not want the winter Voc to go above the maximum safe input value for the inverter!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Gatti
    Options

I have researched Midnite website and some materials in detail.
    I can confirm that Midnite are REALLY EXCELLENT controllers !
    So I will buy Midnite.