Equalization question

gridman
gridman Registered Users Posts: 18
I have 16 Trojan L16P-AC. In one place in Trojan's literature it says you should equalize when the specific gravity is 1.235 across all cells or when there is a wide ranging specific gravities of more than .03 between the cells.

In another place in Trojan's literature it says to equalize every 30 days.

Today is 30 days since my last equalization and my s.g. is 1.275 across all cells.

Should I equalize now or wait?

Thanks,

Rod

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Equalization question

1.275 across all cells? Leave them be; they're fine.

Equalizing when there's no need puts stress on the plates and does more harm than good.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Equalizing when there's no need puts stress on the plates and does more harm than good.

Totally, completely agree.
    Cariboocoot is your man, he won't steer you wrong.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Totally, completely agree.
    Cariboocoot is your man, he won't steer you wrong.

Especially if the topic is "the bleedin' obvious", eh? :p:D
  • gridman
    gridman Registered Users Posts: 18

Great, thanks. I'm happy to wait.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

I won't steer you wrong either (usually).
    If the specification for your particular battery is for an SG of, for example, 1.25 and you get to an SG of 1.275 then either the manufacturer gave you wrong information (that seems to happen a lot, particularly when the manufacturer chooses to change their standard SG and the document writers and tech support either jump the gun or fall behind the change) or your hydrometer needs calibration, or you boiled off enough water to increase the acid concentration. Calibrate your hydrometer with a known SG mixture close to 1.25 and see if your battery water level is low.

As long as you have not actually driven the SG too high somehow, just follow the Trojan recommendation as long as the SG is uniform from cell to cell.
    Now if your SG is steadily dropping on all batteries unless you do an equalize cycle, that means that you are in a deficit charging situation and you actually need to up the Absorb time or voltage or do an long Absorb cycle from generator power (rather than the harsher, higher voltage, Equalize cycle.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.