Need help with a hydrometer

Options
inthejungle
inthejungle Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭
Well, I am in the middle of now where and I had someone bring me out a really nice float hydrometer from Brady Instruments in the US. After arriving the bulb slipped off and cracked the float. This leaves me a bit stranded, but I do have a friend coming out in a few weeks who can bring me a new one.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of where to get a more robust hydrometer?

Is there a way to get away from glass?

Thanks

INJ
In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need help with a hydrometer

Here is the one I use, it's pretty break resistant and Murphy proof, it's all heavy duty plastic. The only problem is this company only ships with DHL, it costs 3 times the cost of the hydrometer. To me it was worth the cost. If you know someone in Germany then have them get it and ship it. The temperature is automatically compensated, squeeze it and squeeze it in out, easy to read.

http://seekpart24.com/hp/battery-acid-hydrovolt-tester-18115
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Yep, that is a problem. Many people keep two hydrometers around because it is so easy to break.

There are others. This thread has a nice dial type hydrometer:

Refractometers to measure battery specific gravity?

And as the thread says, there are Refractometers that can be used too... Their "problem" is that you should have a bottle of 1.265 sg acid handy so you can calibrate the refractometer.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

Glass might be easy to break (The Deka hydrometer is glass), but dogs chew plastic (the EZ-Red hydrometer is plastic; EZ-Red is easier to use and drips less). The dogs don't seem interested in the rubber though. Fortunately, dogs don't seem interested in chewing the battery boxes and the sheds. They dont seem to like HDPE or PVC. Don't know what kind of plastic toddler trikes or toys use, but the dogs love to chew that stuff.

<$100 refractometers can only compensate to 30C. It is not always easy to keep battery temps below 30C in AZ. Running cooler and dryer now, batteries have been running about 28.5C, but on a hotter day can barely keep them below 32C (would be about 5C hotter without the overkill ventilation, more without either the overkill ventilation or the swamp cooler)
  • inthejungle
    inthejungle Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Options

I just wanted to thank each of you for your thoughts, Black cherry I have heard of these before and after you and others recommended these I went on a search for somewhere in the US to find and buy it. I was successful and wanted to share with each of you

I contacted the company and found out the Midnite Solar sold them. I gave Midnite Solar a call and was told that they have 40 of these don't know why but they are wanting to sell them for 35 plus the ride. I went ahead and got me a few, but if anyone still needs one give them a call

360.403.7207 option 5 tell them that you are looking for a hydrovolt

Ben
    In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    I just wanted to thank each of you for your thoughts, Black cherry I have heard of these before and after you and others recommended these I went on a search for somewhere in the US to find and buy it. I was successful and wanted to share with each of you

I contacted the company and found out the Midnite Solar sold them. I gave Midnite Solar a call and was told that they have 40 of these don't know why but they are wanting to sell them for 35 plus the ride. I went ahead and got me a few, but if anyone still needs one give them a call

360.403.7207 option 5 tell them that you are looking for a hydrovolt

Ben
    Sounds like everyone is doubling up on the price. DHL is the problem 29,00 euros from Germany is about $9.00 Postal Mail International for the weight of it.
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doubling up on the price. DHL is the problem 29,00 euros from Germany is about $9.00 Postal Mail International for the weight of it.

i will send you guys an hydrovolt like this:
    Attachment not found.

if you send me this hammer crimp tool:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/hacrtoforlal.html

we all have something that we want to buy, but can not .... hehehehe
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi inthejungle Ben,

Thank you very much for the info that MidNite Solar was stocking these. Had no idea. Ordered a few to test.

And regarding the price, Bc, Often folks like MN need to have a list price and a wholesale price to protect any distributors/dealers who might want to stock such an item. There is the overhead of ordering these things, getting them into their system, filling orders and so on. I am just happy to know that MN stepped up to snag some of these and bring them into the USA, and to hear of from some chap in Africa (IIRC) that MidNite stocked them.

The Freas Hydro that still is in use here works quite well, but have only one of those to split between multiple sites, and some day, I will break it. They, too, are hard to buy, and the Brady Hydros are a POS IMHO ... Thanks all, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi inthejungle Ben,

Thank you very much for the info that MidNite Solar was stocking these. Had no idea. Ordered a few to test.

And regarding the price, Bc, Often folks like MN need to have a list price and a wholesale price to protect any distributors/dealers who might want to stock such an item. There is the overhead of ordering these things, getting them into their system, filling orders and so on. I am just happy to know that MN stepped up to snag some of these and bring them into the USA, and to hear of from some chap in Africa (IIRC) that MidNite stocked them.

The Freas Hydro that still is in use here works quite well, but have only one of those to split between multiple sites, and some day, I will break it. They, too, are hard to buy, and the Brady Hydros are a POS IMHO ... Thanks all, Vic
    Maybe you need to read more , it's been posted for a few months they had them in stock. Others who have called them say they didn't even know what they were talking about. The Price is $13,00 Euros in Germany, Id' say everyone is making out OK, how much is the shipping from MN ??
  • Vic
    Options

Sorry Blackcherry04, did not mean to get you agitated.

Have been quite busy, so guess that I missed the fact that it had been posted here or elsewhere that MN had these in stock. Very sorry. But, still, it was news to me, and was just thanking the person who told me, did not mean to imply that this was the earth-shattering BREAKING N E W S, just news to me. That is all. Thanks and have a nice rest of the day. The shipping is UPS, and will be the first to let you know when invoiced. Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Sorry Blackcherry04, did not mean to get you agitated.

Have been quite busy, so guess that I missed the fact that it had been posted here or elsewhere that MN had these in stock. Very sorry. But, still, it was news to me, and was just thanking the person who told me, did not mean to imply that this was the earth-shattering BREAKING N E W S, just news to me. That is all. Thanks and have a nice rest of the day. The shipping is UPS, and will be the first to let you know when invoiced. Thanks, Vic
    Why would I be agitated ?? I bought my first one back in October when they were posted by Unicornio, I bought my second one in December of 2012 . I am the one that first posted where you could buy them at. I tried to buy 100 of them from the manufacturer with written PO and bank draft guarantee in their name, thats how much I liked them. I never heard a word from them. That dealer in Spain must have a way of getting them, he's the one that sent them to MN, or he said he did.

By the way, you'll like them, they make your life real easy. Enjoy !!
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

I just paid $89.00 for a refractometer from a link posted in a different thread. May have paid plenty but I guess if I ever get batteries I will be prepared.
    Cheers
    gww
  • Vic
    Options
    ... Id' say everyone is making out OK, how much is the shipping from MN ??

OK, just returned from the remote site. The Hydros are here, shipped the day that they were ordered -- 6/25/13 VIA USPS, which is often better for the buyer for smallish parcels. Shipping for three, less than $6.00.

This Hydro looks great, and is larger than expected. Thanks Unicornio, and all others who have recommended this Hydrometer in the past, Vic
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This Hydro looks great, and is larger than expected. Thanks Unicornio, and all others who have recommended this Hydrometer in the past,

I got mine yesterday and am very pleased with it. In the past I've expressed a preference for refractometers over hydrometers, but now that I have used my hydrovolt I would recommend it over a refractometer.

I was also surprised that it is larger than I expected. Thanks to Unicornio who first mentioned it on this forum, and to Blackcherry04 who was an early adapter and also recommended them.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

This Hydrometer is one of the few things I have bought in my life that really is something special, it's always great to share. I did more than 50 batteries yesterday getting my customers ready for the 4th of July. It has really cut my time and effort down, you know at a glance what your looking at with the large numbers and it reads at any angle.

The only thing I'd change is to make the squeeze bulb just a tad larger, so it had a little more volume. That EDM rubber is a little hard to squeeze all the way down sometimes to get it full.
  • unicornio
    Options

all we have to thank Stephen, who was the one that taught me the hydrovolt ...
    I am very happy that all you guys, that think that is a good tool, I also saw it all easier, accurate and comfortable when I using for the first time ... and for that we have the synergy of the forums ...

but is a pity that nobody want to send me this tool to change for an hidrovolt? ... hehehehe
    wind-sun_2267_24945131
  • Vic
    Options

Hi unicornio,

Well, I thought that my first sighting of the HydroVolt Hydrometer might have been from a post by Stephan, but just from distant memory was not certain. Nice device, in general ... Sorry, at this time, I spend about 95% of my time in the Center Of Nowhere, and shipping anything especially internationally, is a real pain. Perhaps at some considerably later date. Good luck finding a Hammer Crimper.

And, generally like the HydroVolt, however, the sampling tube is too short. Perhaps if it were twice its current (stingy) length that would be fine, and agree with you Bc, it would be nice if the bulb had more volume. But, it is a nice tool to have, it is very easy to read.

As with any Hydrometer, am certain that is essential to rinse it several times after the measuring session is done.
    Thanks to all who recommended it and for MidNite Solar for stocking them. Rumor has it that MidNite will soon have an e-bay Store to sell these little items that few resellers will be willing to stock for customers. Thanks again, Vic
  • unicornio
    Options

Hi, Vic,

I understand perfectly because I am too in the middle of nowhere ...;-)
    but we are very good here!....hehehehe
    I thought that my first sighting of the HydroVolt Hydrometer might have been from a post by Stephan, but just from distant memory was not certain.

I saw for the first time in a image of the hidrovolt that Stephen have in his blog, when he was working on the development of an optical/electronic densimeter...I asked him and found it in our outback dealer in Spain ...
    was a crush! ... hehehehehe

I agree with you that the tube it is too short for many large batteries, and you have to put a longer one. in that you have to fill it several times, it is logical that you should always try to mix the best possible the electrolyte zone where we take the sample, but also, in the beginning, you have to wait some time for the instrument (and its measurement elements), have reach the same temperature of the electrolyte, so that it can make the compensation of temperature, something I've found that works fine, and gives to the hidrovolt more added value in terms of reliability, precision and comfort to the measure...so is very good news that midnite can sell in your market ...;-)

obviously, you have to rinse it some times with distilled water after use, to minimize the ravages of acid in it, but apparently, except that the red color of the scale portrays one orange and almost disappears with time, however, the green scale holds up well, and seems to last a lifetime and also the black numbers of the scale, that are totally indelible ... ;-)
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

Yeah, I forgot to say I replaced the Tube with a piece of silicone (1/8 " ID / 1/4 " OD ) tubing, 6 " long, That would also make the volume it withdraws a little off. It's still as good as sliced bread. Somewhat pricey, but worth every penny.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The red color may also be fading from sunlight--I would suggest storing the hydrometer out of direct sunlight (always a good idea anyway). UV (ultra violet) light will "attack" the red end of the spectrum colors first before the blue (i.e., red ink/colors are red because they absorb the blue and UV light--and UV is "high energy photons" compared to the red end of the spectrum).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • unicornio
    Options

I think the red color is delete because I save the hidrovolt without cleaning and rinsing for a while, because I did not have distilled water to make it and do not like using any other type of water for this ... obviously if he had been in the sun, the same thing could have happened ... the sun produces watts but also destroys ... hehehehe