Midnite Solar - Battery Monitor

tons001
tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
I keep hearing rumblings of a new battery monitor from Midnite Solar that will be shunt based and interface with my Classic 150. I am at the point that I was getting ready to buy a Trimetric 2025a but if Midnite Solar is going to have an option soon ... I would much rather wait. I love the Midnite products! Will it serve the same basic functions as a 2025a or blow right past it?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Midnite Solar - Battery Monitor

Actually it is a shunt feed for the MidNite Classic controller which will allow that to operate based on SOC rather than just Voltage set points and End Amps. In that sense it will be better than a TriMetric.

The exact details of its operation haven't been released yet, but perhaps boB would care to give us a sneak peak?

Or maybe they haven't finalized what functions/readouts to include with it yet.
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭

So in theory .... I could get and use the 2025a till this comes out and then use the same 500a/50mv shunt for this new feature.

Thanks!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe that Midnite uses an "integrated" shunt with digital com link back to the host controller...

So, I would guess that you probably would be buying a new shunt/electronics package together. You might be able to purchase the com board separately, but if it would fit "your shunt", I have no idea.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Thread that talks about MidNite's new WhizBang Jr., hopefully at the page where Robin attched a picture:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?19513-midnite-classic/page3&highlight=WhizBang+Jr.