New super lithium-ion batteries for solar and wind solutions. (and cars too!)

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/09/germans-create-lithium-ion-ev-batteries-that-could-last-for-over-25-years/

I'm firmly of the camp that says "I'll believe it when I see it", but if true this does present a rather interesting potential to advance solar and wind power by making it cheaper over the long haul to go that route. :) Of course, a well maintained set of lead acids will do 30+ years if you don't play the fool or be an idiot with them. But hey, not everyone wants to futz with weekly battery maintenance either. So I say, bring on the uber maintenance free batteries, which will in turn attrack the uber lazy. :P

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New super lithium-ion batteries for solar and wind solutions. (and cars too!)

1100 wH/kg is pretty hefty claim. The article says 4x better then current tech, but I would say that is more the 5x the best LiCo batteries.

Next question is safety with that energy density. Hope they don't lose the anti-matter containment field.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Re: New super lithium-ion batteries for solar and wind solutions. (and cars too!)
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    1100 wH/kg is pretty hefty claim.

Almost 40x times more than my batteries. One 30 kg battery would be all I need.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    1100 wH/kg is pretty hefty claim. The article says 4x better then current tech, but I would say that is more the 5x the best LiCo batteries.

Next question is safety with that energy density. Hope they don't lose the anti-matter containment field.
    Gotcha!
    The article says that the new batteries have four time the power density of conventional, i.e. lower internal resistance. Not higher energy density.
    1100 Watt/kg not Watt-hour/kg.

Either they have found a better way to reduce the resistive losses per unit area in the electrode structures or get higher current density per active surface of plates. Or both.
    But the energy density in terms of chemical energy per unit of plates/active material/electrolyte/separator mass does not appear to be greatly different.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • NorthGuy
    inetdog wrote: »
    Either they have found a better way to reduce the resistive losses per unit area in the electrode structures or get higher current density per active surface of plates. Or both.

Or the reporter didn't know the difference between W and Wh.
  • inetdog
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Or the reporter didn't know the difference between W and Wh.
    And they got more than a 10x improvement in energy density? Not likely. The usage of W and power is consistent.
  • NorthGuy
    inetdog wrote: »
    And they got more than a 10x improvement in energy density? Not likely. The usage of W and power is consistent.

Perhaps you're right. Too bad. I won't be able to get away with one 30 kg battery :cry:
  • inetdog
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Perhaps you're right. Too bad. I won't be able to get away with one 30 kg battery :cry:
    Got a really good deal on a surplus battery from Boeing? Only lightly used.