Fears over EU-US energy price divide

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
Power costs are now up to 40% lower in the US than in Europe, fueling fears about the competitiveness of European industries.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22652066

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Re: Fears over EU-US energy price divide

To put some numbers to that, here in Spain:

- Electricity =~ $ 0.18/kWh excluding monthly standing charge.
    - Gasoline =~ $ 6.9/US Gallon
    - Diesel =~ $ 6.45/US Gallon
    - Subsidised agricultural red diesel =~ $5.4/US Gallon

On the plus side, prices like these make solar power and efficient cars much more attractive. And it's also the reason half the cars are diesel; you save about $2500 dollars per 100 000km by choosing a diesel VW rabbit, versus the most efficient gasoline version.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    Gasoline =~ $ 6.9/US Gallon.

I've always thought that in Europe gas is way more expensive, but now with $5-6/US Gallon in Canada we're getting real close. Natural gas is still cheap though.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In general, the price of fuel in Europe is high because of taxes (Natural gas and to a degree oil, in US is cheap because of Fracking and such producing larger local supplies).

The problem for Europe (and now more in the US) is that Solar Power and more efficient autos (and battery/solar powered cars) are those high tax rates... If people were to massively change to solar and/or some new whiz bang tech that cut fuel usage by 1/2--Government would go broke or have to find new ways to collect those taxes.

I will give you a guess which government would do in the face of falling fuel usage.

The New Way to Tax: Pay Per Mile Driven - CNBC.com

NJ Per-Mile Tax Already Scrapped, Electric Car Fee Proposed Instead
    Will pay-per-mile be a buzzkill for American road trips? - CNN.com
    Oregon proposes 1.5-cent-per-mile mileage tax for EVs, would also ...
    N.J. bill would assess fee on electric cars by the mile - USA Today
    Miles-Driven Could Replace Gasoline Tax, LaTourette Says ...

California and Oregon, for years, have been trying to figure out a GPS based tax scheme what would include location and time of day congestion charges too.

So far, fear of "big brother" has put a cap on GPS systems--But who knows. "They" need the money and control. It is in their DNA.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I am just waiting for the time they come after us for the Volts, we spent less than $75 on fueling both of them this year so far (and they are not getting any taxes on the electric either). However the licensing on them is pretty extreme already, the last renewal on the 2011 Volt for 2 years was $1233.33. I could have save $100 on that but SWMBO likes her specialty plate "SLRRYDR".

Fees for a 2 year renewal are:
    Veh License Tax $1112.08
    Registration $8.25
    Air Quality $3.00
    Special Plate $100.00
    Total $1223.33
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    I am just waiting for the time they come after us for the Volts, we spent less than $75 on fueling both of them this year so far (and they are not getting any taxes on the electric either). However the licensing on them is pretty extreme already, the last renewal on the 2011 Volt for 2 years was $1233.33. I could have save $100 on that but SWMBO likes her specialty plate "SLRRYDR".

Fees for a 2 year renewal are:
    Veh License Tax $1112.08
    Registration $8.25
    Air Quality $3.00
    Special Plate $100.00
    Total $1223.33

There are already schemes proposed to make sure road revenue doesn't decrease as a result of you electric car fiends. Some ideas include per mile charges and electric car surtaxes.

For forty years we've been hearing about the energy crisis and how we're going to run out. For forty years energy usage has increased despite concerted efforts by many to conserve. For forty years the energy prices and profits have gone up.

They tell you not to use so much, then when you don't they charge you more for it. And because this scam is so profitable there isn't a ghost of a chance anything will be done about it.

Yes, I'm a bit extra nasty this morning. Not having a good time dealing with 'authorities' of late and it's making me extra cynical.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

HEHE they exempted me in the AZ house bill HB2257
    28-6051. Imposition of vehicle mileage tax; electric vehicles; definitions

A. In addition to all other taxes provided by law, a vehicle mileage tax of one cent per mile driven is imposed on electric vehicles that are driven on highways in this state.
    B. The department shall collect the tax and shall adopt rules necessary to implement this article.
    C. On or before December 31 of each year, the department shall increase the tax rate prescribed by subsection A of this section for the following tax year based on the average annual percentage increase, if any, in the GDP price deflator in the two most recent complete state fiscal years.
    D. For the purposes of this section:
    1. "Electric vehicle" means a vehicle that is propelled by a motor that is powered by electrical energy from rechargeable batteries or another source on the vehicle or from an external source in, on or above the street and that Is not capable of being powered by motor vehicle fuel or use fuel.
    2. "GDP price deflator" means the average of the four implicit price deflators for the gross domestic product reported by the United States department of commerce or its successor for the four quarters of the state fiscal year.

Idiots in the hen house it seems! LMAO :D:D:D