Meanwell PB 1000 vs Iota DLS -75

Options
Blackcherry04
Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
Since I started a discussion about the output of these two chargers and two points of view on how they perform in a AC amps in and a DC amps out on a Honda EU2000.

I will put them head to head in a two hour test charging a 10 battery bank of GC-2's in Bulk mode. My expectation are that they both have to put out their rated amps for that time period. remember, if it can't keep up it's rated output, it FAILS, even it's a 100% PFC. If a charger goes off into some 8 stage process, It Fails,

The Meter I'll be using is a Tenma 72-6184.

http://www.newark.com/tenma/72-6614/multimeter-digital-clamp-3-3-4/dp/50N1373

The Iota DLS-75 ( I will retest ) was using 8.83 amps AC and putting out 73.26 amps DC, yesterday. To me that a 1/8.3 I/O ratio. It's been said the Iota is only 67% efficient. The Meanwell has been said to have >90% efficiency. If thats true the Meanwell will have to have 5.54 @120 V to produce 60 amps DC output or a 1/10.9 I/O ratio.

Depending on UPS delivery, the test will be on. $23.00 is a shipping ripoff.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Meanwell PB 1000 vs Iota DLS -75

Good! Looking forward to the results.

When I checked the charger in my VFX3524 I found the PF changed according to how heavily loaded it was. It got worse as the load lessened, btw.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Good! Looking forward to the results.

When I checked the charger in my VFX3524 I found the PF changed according to how heavily loaded it was. It got worse as the load lessened, btw.
    I tested the GFX 1312 with nothing connected to the AC output. It was pulling 11 AC amps with a 83 amp DC output. To me thats a 1/7.5 I/O ratio. I am not as smart as some of you, but that what I go by is the I/O ratio. If I put a gallon of gas in a car, I use MPG as the output, I know the difference between 20 MPG and 30 MPG.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's been said the Iota is only 67% efficient.

What are we calling efficiency here? To me, efficiency is the ratio of energy in to energy out. It has very little to do with power factor. The Iota seems very efficient, as far as I can tell (I don't own one).

But the Iota has a low power factor. Even though the Iota is drawing about 1000 watts, it requires wiring (on the input) that can handle about 1500 watts. As far as the generator is concerned, the gasoline consumed in running the Iota is the same as running a 1000 watt resistive load, but the generator needs to be rated at least 1500 watts.

The Honda can handle 1600 watts indefinitely, but the Iota, drawing only 1000 watts will nearly max it out. The engine will not be maxed out... the engine sees a 1000 watt load, but the wiring in Honda's inverter will see a 1500 watt load. Try running the Iota and a 500 watt resistive load at the same time.

Bottom line: the efficiency of the Iota is very high, but the generator needs to be rated much higher than the watts drawn by the Iota.

I don't know how efficient the Meanwell is, but the generator needs to be rated much closer to the Meanwell's draw than the Iota's draw.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Essentially that's what power factor is: the Watts going in vs. the Watts going out, often expressed as Volt Amps. So 11 Amps @ 120 Volts = 1320 Watts in, and 83 Amps @ 14 Volts (important to know the V) = 1162 Watts out. That's a PF of 0.88. Vary the output Voltage (as it would be charging batteries and could be anywhere from LVD to HVD) and you vary the output Watts and thus the PF.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

You guys turn my world upside down with the all the talk about efficiency. I am charging batteries @ $.64 a hour. I know I sound like a Iota Fan boy, but it's tough like Mule. It doesn't care if it's >99 deg in a enclosed compartment or where it's at. It's proved to be good and puts out it's rated output hour after hour, but I am ready to find a better mouse trap if it's out there, my customers demand it.

There are several things that give me pause about the Meanwell.

1) It's a multi-bank charger, that I said I'd never buy again. That is the first thing to fail on them.

2) It's only 70 mm thick, that means it'll have a little 40 mm fan. That means it'll have limited air flow and probably cut it's output. Time will tell.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Before the nit-picking starts ...

Technically power factor is the difference between VA at the point of maximum Amps and the point of maximum Volts along the waveform of the power curve.

What Blackcherry will actually be looking at is the over-all efficiency of the charger(s) which not only includes this but the unit's self-consumption as well. For practical purposes this is more important than PF alone.

If anyone is wondering why it's important, it is the matter of sizing up a generator to efficiently run a charger: you know you need 'X' Amps at 'Y' Volts output maximum on the DC side, and then you want to know how much Volt Amps it's going to draw on the AC side which loads the generator. You're trying for optimum generator loading, so you don't buy one that either can't deliver the power or uses excess fuel to do so because of over-capacity.

Any minute now Bill is going to add six paragraphs of precise technical explanation on power factor ... :p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

No... I am staying out of this one--I seemed to be ticking people off in the other thread (which was not my intention).

Regards,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    No... I am staying out of this one--I seemed to be ticking people off in the other thread (which was not my intention).

Regards,
    -Bill

I thought ticking people off was my job? :confused::p
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Essentially that's what power factor is: the Watts going in vs. the Watts going out, often expressed as Volt Amps. So 11 Amps @ 120 Volts = 1320 Watts in, and 83 Amps @ 14 Volts (important to know the V) = 1162 Watts out. That's a PF of 0.88.

Efficiency is the ratio of watts out to watts in. PF is measured on the input... the ratio of watts going in to VoltAmps going in. With a resistive or PF corrected load the ratio is 1 because VA = watts under those conditions. On the Iota the VA going in is higher than the watts going in. Watts are real energy per time, VA tells you how much current is sloshing around in the wiring without being dissipated.

It takes an imaginary (sq rt of -1) imagination to understand it :roll:

I think that what is important is: how much gasoline does Blackcherry04 consume to put a kwh into his batteries. That will be a function of the efficiency of each charger, and will have little to do with PF or the measured amps going into or out of the chargers.

NOTE: Actually it does have something to do with the measured amps, but as inetdog pointed out in the other thread it is complicated to know what is being measured by AC amp and voltmeters.

BC04, I look forward to hearing the results of your tests, but what really counts is how much gasoline do you use to get an equivalent charge out of each charger. That is what efficiency is all about.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

See? Even when I fill in the details ...
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

All I want to do is charge batteries as fast and reasonable as possible. I have two choices a Honda EU 2000 and a 20 KW generator. I figurer it's either $.64 a hour or $10.81 a hour.

I suspect that most people are not using their Honda EU2000 for anything but to power their stand alone charger. There could be someone thats concerned about the PF of their charger. I see some posters that talk about their Meanwell chargers, but then they say they really don't know because they don't use them enough to know. I want to get down where the rock hits the road. The Generator runs on, the chargers output is what's important, the Magnum is the worse, it spent at least 50 % in " charger cut back mode " I thought with it I could have better use of the power I was producing, but it went to e-bay as a failed.

There is one other thing I haven't mentioned, paralleling the charger output on to the Inverter inputs with the battery bank. I did a set up where I could measure the current flow and the charger output will be used by the inverter first and the excess will go to the batteries, load the inverter above the charger out put and the flow reverses.

The new Xantrex SW3012 is doing something like the above with what they call " Generator Support " When the draw on the Incoming power reaches the support level, it drops the generator and charger, then the incoming power is diverted to supplying the batteries enough power to support the load. Does it have 2 transformers ??, it weighs 73 lbs. It's kind of a weird way to give support, but it is a 3000 w inverter and with a Honda EU 2000 it would give you more than twice the power and it does have a 150 amp charger, a Honda might pull half of it, or give you 75 amps of DC support.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    The new Xantrex SW3012 is doing something like the above with what they call " Generator Support " When the draw on the Incoming power reaches the support level, it drops the generator and charger, then the incoming power is diverted to supplying the batteries enough power to support the load. Does it have 2 transformers ??, it weighs 73 lbs. It's kind of a weird way to give support, but it is a 3000 w inverter and with a Honda EU 2000 it would give you more than twice the power and it does have a 150 amp charger, a Honda might pull half of it, or give you 75 amps of DC support.

Not quite.
    Generator support means that rather than overloading the generator with a big load the inverter will gradually change from charging to not charging to supplementing the generator's output to supply the loads. This function is available on some GT based inverters due to the fluid nature of the AC connection; unlike a standard off-grid inverter there is no transfer switch which clicks in/out but rather bidirectional circuitry through the inverter's transformer which allows it to either "send or receive" power.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Not quite.
    Generator support means that rather than overloading the generator with a big load the inverter will gradually change from charging to not charging to supplementing the generator's output to supply the loads. This function is available on some GT based inverters due to the fluid nature of the AC connection; unlike a standard off-grid inverter there is no transfer switch which clicks in/out but rather bidirectional circuitry through the inverter's transformer which allows it to either "send or receive" power.
    That is true with a Inverter that has a syncing capability. Who is the arbitrator of the meaning of terms in the Inverter world ?? I'd call it " Inverter Support " , I guess they can call it whatever they want, but that is how I was told it works.

Magnum is about to release a new " Generator Support " Inverter ( MSH2812 M or 24 M) that is supposed to have true support as we know it. Where it is actually coupled and synced to the generator and will give you double the power. It has been promised for over a year, no joy yet.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    That is true with a Inverter that a syncing capability. Who is the arbitrator of the meaning of terms in the Inverter world ?? I'd call it " Inverter Support " , I guess they can call it whatever they want, but that is how I was told it works.

Oh don't get me started on re-defined (and misused) words. :roll:

It's a matter of perspective: in this case the inverter is supporting the generator because normally the generator when running would supply all power for both loads and charging. Only when the generator can not meet the demands does the inverter go from being a load to a source and supplement the gen's output.

And yes, without the GT syncing ability it doesn't work.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    That is true with a Inverter that a syncing capability. Who is the arbitrator of the meaning of terms in the Inverter world ?? I'd call it " Inverter Support " , I guess they can call it whatever they want, but that is how I was told it works.

That's definitely Generator support.

In XW there's a pass-through mode - Genrator powers loads, Inverter does nothing. As soon as loads go above some pre-set value, Inverter turns on and starts acting as a grid-tie inverter. It syncs with the generator and produces just enough power to the loads not to overload the generator.

It sort of works when charging too. If there's too much load, the charger decreases currenrt to the batteries to prevent overloading the generator. That works decently in XW, but not very smooth.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    That's definitely Generator support.

In XW there's a pass-through mode - Genrator powers loads, Inverter does nothing. As soon as loads go above some pre-set value, Inverter turns on and starts acting as a grid-tie inverter. It syncs with the generator and produces just enough power to the loads not to overload the generator.

It sort of works when charging too. If there's too much load, the charger decreases currenrt to the batteries to prevent overloading the generator. That works decently in XW, but not very smooth.
    There must be something in the " Mobile " certification that restricts them. I know they are limited to 30 amps in the transfer switch because they use 2, 30 amp tandem relays instead of a 60 amp and the inputs and loads are kept separate for some reason.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

For all you that are waiting with baited breath for the Meanwell PB-1000 test you'll have to wait a little longer, I never received it after 12 days and I called, No record of the original order. I did place a new order, so you'll have to wait a little longer. Shipping normally takes 6-7 days from California to me, but 12 was way to long.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I hope that "no record of original order" includes no charge on your credit card.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    I hope that "no record of original order" includes no charge on your credit card.
    Thank You for mentioning that , nope, no charge. I did find out that their system is not automatic, the orders are batch fed manually into their system. They are really wholesale company and don't do that many retail orders of 1 unit. ( Power Gate )
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

I finally received the Meanwell PB-1000 today, unboxed it and looks like the quality as their Inverters, first class. There only one issue, it did not include the power cord. As luck would have it I looked at 50 cords here and everyone is 18/3, I hate to test it without the correct cord and strangle it ( at least a 16/3 ), so I'll get one and try to get going by the weekend. It did include a RTS / BTS for the charger.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

Ok, I finally got around to testing the Meanwell PB-1000-12. I am going to tell you the good, the bad and the ugly of it. The good is it's good looking unit, great fit and finish. First off it has a programed float voltage of 13.8, my opinion thats very high. Second the unit will not function if there is any load on the battery bank it's charging. All it does is surge up and down and the fault light goes on and off. If you take the load off, it'll go back to charging. Not the kind of charger you want for a Solar stand alone charger. It never did put out it's rated 60 amps.

The Test :

I pulled a 1100 amp hr bank down 300 amp hrs, both chargers had #2 cable to the bank and the same input. I did have to cut the loads off the bank to get the Meanwell to function. I couldn't be any more fair. I used the only measure I have, what I put in and what I get out. If you know a better test, I'll send it to you and you do it.

The Math :

Meanwell

Input 7.39 amps ac @ 120V

Output 51.4 amps dc @12.7 v

51.4/7.39 = 6.95 DC amp's for every 1 ac amp of input

IOTA

Input 8.64 amps ac @ 120V

Output 75.9 amps dc @12.7 v

75.9/8.64 = 8.78 DC amp's for every 1 ac amp of input

My conclusion is that if it's got PF in it, it's staying in it. I'd avoid this charger like the plague, don't waste your money. The IOTA is solid as a rock and a great buy and you get 26% more amp output for every amp you put in.

Attachment not found.

Both Chargers

Attachment not found.

Meanwell's Input/Output

Attachment not found.

IOTA's Input/Output

P.S. I got $289 in it ( used 30 minutes ), first pm I get for $140, I'll pay the shipping can have it, plus I'll throw in the $7 cord I had to buy.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

its like the Chinese said, we mean well
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

Thank you BC4 for doing the measurements... Sorry to hear that the Meanwell does not.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Thank you BC4 for doing the measurements... Sorry to hear that the Meanwell does not.

-Bill
    Hey we tried, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Someone else said they had a problem with it on a bank with a Charge Controller, that should have been a tip off. The issue I see is that it has a sophisticated regulation system based on their literature, it must see any change in the battery voltage as some kind of a anomaly and it reacts to it, in a on/off mode. The fault light flash's and you can hear some relays clicking and the current output goes up and down. I might try to make a video of it. I can understand another charging source causing a problem, but why a load ?? It was 14 amps DC for my refrigerator.

If you don't succeed, try, try again.