What is the best GTI???

54d18
54d18 Solar Expert Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
I live in Northern Ontario Canada and would like to look into
going solar, grid tie to be specific. Which inverter would be
the best for a system around 5kw, there are so many out there
and I really want to avoid sinking $$$$ into an off the boat inverter.

I presently have a cottage running off grid, and have gotten a
lot of excellent information from this site, you people are the best...

T

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: What is the best GTI???

SMA seems to have the best reputation out there (from what I have read).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    SMA seems to have the best reputation out there (from what I have read).
    -Bill
    High quality and reliable, but higher price to match. One drawback is that the interface for remote monitoring is an extra cost option (at least in mine.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

SMA (SunnyBoy) is coming out with a new model that has an emergency output feature as well as dual inputs (dual MPPT). During an outage, you can go out an turn a switch on the inverter and a dedicated outlet is energized. It can produce over 10amps in good sun even without batteries or the grid! The rest of the industry is going to be playing catch up. Haven't seen them available yet, but it is coming for sure and its going to be my preferred choice when it is.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

This isa question that has different opinions like. Which is better a ford car or a chevy car or a chrysler. I have fronius inverters and have had no troubles with them. I have an IG 3000 inverter which has 500 vdc limit and a IG 3000 plus inverter that has a 600vdc limit. I think the IG plus operates at a more stable output than The IG 3000. All I ever had so far so can,t compare to any other brands. Solarvic
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    SMA (SunnyBoy) is coming out with a new model that has an emergency output feature as well as dual inputs (dual MPPT). ... Haven't seen them available yet, but it is coming for sure and its going to be my preferred choice when it is.
    If you are really really interested, or a professional, you can find out more, specifically about the emergency power feature, at this web seminar: http://www.sma-america.com/en_US/smasolaracademy/seminar-calendar/seminar-registration/seminars/sunny_boy_tl_us_series_eps_overview_live_webinar.html
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

I second, third or whatever SMA. Another feature they have that may or may not interest you is the ability to go off grid easier than some. Expensive, but good customer support.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully my PVPowered inverters go the distance. I too like SMA products, and think if I get the choice at replacement time I will spent the few extra dollars.
  • Sulfur
    Sulfur Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have SMA and am happy with it, except their Sunny Portal system (this allows your systems stats to be posted to web page) refresh rate is only about 4 times per day even when adjusted to 15 minutes, it takes the data every 15 but won't post it to the site very frequently. SMA also has very limited (if any) real time trending for your PC when using Sunny Webbox, these data issues could be greatly improved. They need to hire some real programmers.