Midnite Classic soon will be able to read amps across your shunt!!!

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, Somehow I missed this, in the announced Midnite Solar's New for 2013;

"Battery Sense Device, shunt based current sense module"

I think this is a feature many of us have been looking for, this will allow the charge controller to properly charge a battery while under load. (or so I think...)

This will basically make all other charge controller obselete from my stand point. Can't imagine what my charging profile would look like while running a couple A/C units during this coming summer, now I feel this should help me end daylight hours with a fully charged battery.

Clipped from Midnite forum;

Nigel"hope that such a BM would have the ability to end Absorption via measured battery charge current at, or soon after soon after introduction."

boB "This will be the first thing that it will do."

Hope I haven't violated any copyright here, Midnite and NAWS forums have had some cross posting in the past...Mods do what you need to!
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Midnite Classic soon will be able to read amps across your shunt!!!
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Hope I haven't violated any copyright here, Midnite and NAWS forums have had some cross posting in the past...Mods do what you need to!

Right. I'll start baking the cake. Tony, you get the funny hats ready. Bill, find us some champagne. Niel will be in charge of the blow-ticklers. :p

Now we just wait to see it actually materialize.
  • Photowhit

Well I might not post if it was some companies 'brave boast' press release, but I feel I know these guys and they do interact with the solar community. With this piece you can also see them wanting to do inverters for the same reason.

As if they weren't already, it sounds like a heck of a legacy in the solar community.

Maybe we should start a Hall of Fame, sounds funny, but I know smaller niche groups that have done this on line...

There's one dedicated to One Pocket and it's less eliquint cousin Bank Pool Does NAWS provid space for a Blog?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Does NAWS provid space for a Blog?

You mean like the tabs in the upper left that say "Home" "Forum" "Blogs" "What's New?"
  • Photowhit

Yes I didn't know if that was NAWS space or just a place to setup links. I recall the lawnmower guy thing...

I see the space appears to be provided by NAWS, Maybe I'll put my new System build up there...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

To be honest, we have not figure out what to do with the "Blog"... For the most part, the "action" takes place here in the Forums.

We have been using "stickies" to keep interesting posts at the top of sub forums. But, perhaps reposting these as "blogs" would be an interesting way to keep the information out front.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

sounds like that may be a good idea bill. up to naws though and you're right that they have almost forgotten about it and still have not contemplated a specific use for it as of yet.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

If you guys can figure out a good use for the blog side, go for it. We had planned to use it for general small FAQ's when we set it up, but decided those were better placed on the main store site.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i'll be the devil's advocate here and say that if it's put on the blog that it could get overlooked, especially by newer posters or posters with low post numbers. for this bracket of users the thread contents are the most beneficial for.