Grid-Tie proposals recommendations

Options
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums but i have been reading the forums for a couple of weeks the difference between solar technologies. A couple of years ago I tried to do it but didn't had the economic stability to progress. The installation will be on a roof in Gurabo, Puerto Rico with a space of 1500 or so square feets but not completely even (the roof has some one feet tall 6 inch width structure) but with 10 feet or so of distance. I am contemplating getting in the future the government incentives (40%) but it's a little hard to get it here and will probably have to try a couple of times.. I am moving towards proposal 1 and I want to know the difference between the panels, why is it cheaper with more KW, etc. I need any help I can get getting this important decision for me and my family.

Proposal 1:

Description
23 Hyundai Monocrystalline 250 watts solar panels, 23 Enphase M215 microinverters 240/
206VAC w/Energy Management Unit & Install kit
Mounting Racks and beams, Cables, Disconnect Tool, Bolts and nuts, Grounding lugs
Basic Installation
Quote: $16,100/5750 watt = $2.80/watt
Quote is not final until a site evaluation is performed by our certified engineer

Proposal 2:

QTY. DESCRIPTION UNIT AMOUNT

16 Suniva MVP 235 watt multicrystalline solar panel $270.25 $4,324.00
16 Enphase M215 micro‐inverter $170.00 $2,720.00
16 Enphase trunk cable $29.25 $468.00
2 Enphase branch terminator $18.45 $36.90
1 Enphase disconnect tool $6.75 $6.75
1 Complete roof‐mount racking system (2 rows of 8 panels) $1,278.00 $1,278.00
1 Envoy communications gateway $631.35 $631.35
TOTAL $9,465.00 , Installation complete: $16100

Proposa 3:

Don't have a proposal yet but the price will be just like the second one for $16,379. 16 panels 240 watts installed.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Grid-Tie proposals recommendations

Are the prices including the rebates? Also, will the vendor be responsible for obtaining the rebates, or will you (i.e., I paid my installer the post rebate price, and he had to file the paper work and wait for the government to pay the balance--not me). Have they provided any estimated monthly/yearly o

Backing up a moment--Do you have a good handle on how much power you use per month (by season)? How does your utility manage the billing (1 year net metering, 1 month net metering, credit you for the wholesale price of power, etc.)? Solar power is getting pretty close to reasonably price--But I would still recommend that you review your power usage and see if there are any conservation measures you can take that will reduce your power usage (energy star appliances, updating A/C and possible heat pump heating system, insulation, double pane windows, etc.).

The systems look to be reasonble size and pricing (under $5 per watt installed, before rebates, is usually a good price).

It would appear that you would be paying cash for the system--vs leasing.

The economy and the solar power market is not really great right now--And a fair number of installers have bit the dust lately. Your installer stable? My installation had a 5 year installer warranty (labor). A few people here are starting to have issues with their installer out of business, and needing to find somebody else to do warranty work (changing out failed inverters).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options

The price from Proposal 1 seems like it might just be for the equipment and not include labor and electrical material. I'd be ready for it to go up significantly after the site visit.

It can be cheaper to do larger amounts because the electrical work required can be similar for a small number of panels as for a large one. (However in your case there should be a slight jump at 17 panels because that's the limit for Enphase M215s on one circuit.)

The prices for the Enphase equipment in Proposal 2 seem a bit inflated compared to around here (California), but maybe that's reasonable in Puerto Rico given the market and shipping/distribution costs. Inflated maybe 10-15%. The Envoy seems inflated more.

The first proposal says Energy Management Unit (EMU). That's really out of date and they should give you an Envoy (the new model). Possibly that's just an error in notation.

Otherwise the quotes are competitive, at least for the United States. You are not being swindled.
  • kristianyonuel
    kristianyonuel Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options

Proposal 1 is installation completely it would go up if the panels have to use specific racks by specification (I just called the company). Jaggedben I don't understand the 17 limit for the M215.. How is he going to do it? I have not seen any company that do leasing in PR and they've said to do home improvements loans or cash.. also, I have to do the incentives too but they could help with the paperwork. I don't think we also received the 30% discount here.. Just the %40 incentive and that's it.
    jaggedben wrote: »
    The price from Proposal 1 seems like it might just be for the equipment and not include labor and electrical material. I'd be ready for it to go up significantly after the site visit.

It can be cheaper to do larger amounts because the electrical work required can be similar for a small number of panels as for a large one. (However in your case there should be a slight jump at 17 panels because that's the limit for Enphase M215s on one circuit.)

The prices for the Enphase equipment in Proposal 2 seem a bit inflated compared to around here (California), but maybe that's reasonable in Puerto Rico given the market and shipping/distribution costs. Inflated maybe 10-15%. The Envoy seems inflated more.

The first proposal says Energy Management Unit (EMU). That's really out of date and they should give you an Envoy (the new model). Possibly that's just an error in notation.

Otherwise the quotes are competitive, at least for the United States. You are not being swindled.
  • kristianyonuel
    Options

Helllo BB, No rebates actually no money for rebates until February 1 2013.. Vendors don't get involved in the rebates but they help with paperwork. No estimates but we know what to expect including rains, storms, etc.. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/00778

We pay an average of .20 cents Kw in PR per month and I think we can sell back for .10 cents kw. Well, right now I am consuming 700-800 kwh monthly but the problem is that if the gas prices go up in one month we could be paying $100 or more so it's not a constant value. I expect to get positive in ROI in 4-5 years.. 3-4 after 40% incentive.. I have everything in my house energy saving except an old plasma 50 inch 400 watts that I'm looking to sell. The biggest company that have been for more than 30 years in PR don't do quote by email so I will have to give them a visit. Thank you for the advice!
    BB. wrote: »
    Are the prices including the rebates? Also, will the vendor be responsible for obtaining the rebates, or will you (i.e., I paid my installer the post rebate price, and he had to file the paper work and wait for the government to pay the balance--not me). Have they provided any estimated monthly/yearly o

Backing up a moment--Do you have a good handle on how much power you use per month (by season)? How does your utility manage the billing (1 year net metering, 1 month net metering, credit you for the wholesale price of power, etc.)? Solar power is getting pretty close to reasonably price--But I would still recommend that you review your power usage and see if there are any conservation measures you can take that will reduce your power usage (energy star appliances, updating A/C and possible heat pump heating system, insulation, double pane windows, etc.).

The systems look to be reasonble size and pricing (under $5 per watt installed, before rebates, is usually a good price).

It would appear that you would be paying cash for the system--vs leasing.

The economy and the solar power market is not really great right now--And a fair number of installers have bit the dust lately. Your installer stable? My installation had a 5 year installer warranty (labor). A few people here are starting to have issues with their installer out of business, and needing to find somebody else to do warranty work (changing out failed inverters).

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

Your power usage does not sound that high (especially if you have any A/C or other large electrical appliances). If the TV uses a lot of power, then changing to a less power hungry version can save quite a bit of money (if your set is running many hours per day). A Kill-a-Watt type meter can help you figure out what appliances are costing you today (at least your 120 VAC plug-in devices).

Natural Gas prices should be dropping (or at least not rising), unless government gets involved and does the high taxes/carbon credit/local regulation type stuff.

But, if your gas prices are high--You might want to look at some new electric appliances that may be cheaper to run than the gas fired versions (especially if you add GT Solar).

A heat pump based water heater such as this one. Is probably 2-3x more efficient than the resistive version. The "waste energy" of these is cold air and dehumidification--Not bad for a warm island climate (something like $1,000-$2,000 continental US pricing).

And there are the Mini-Split A/C + heat pump units (if you need dehumidifcation and/or heating in cold weather). They are probably 2x more efficient than older A/C units. And can be 2-3x more efficient than resistive electric heat. (i.e., what if your electric costs were 1/2 to 1/3 of the $0.20 to run those appliances vs natural gas).

You can play with this fuel cost calculator to see what the numbers work out to be (don't fall in love with a solution--do the math first):

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kristianyonuel
    Options

Attachment not found. Exactly.. you hit a important point for us.. The water heater we have a 240v "energy saving" but we were thinking of replacing with that one that you displayed.. I saw it on another post and got interested.. We have our stove, dryer using natural gas. We could do a mini-split because the rooms are small to save some more instead of big inverters i think 18000 btu for a room 10feetby12. Pretty much everything is new except for the tv and water heater.. What we are looking to do is to pay equally the same but with more commodity such as AC in the living room, etc.. If we do that now and we've done it in the summer as AC on all the times on rooms and we consumed more than 1300 KWh. However to save some $$ we opted to use it only for 8 hours. Attached is the specs of my heater would you still recommend buying that GeoSpring?
    Your power usage does not sound that high (especially if you have any A/C or other large electrical appliances). If the TV uses a lot of power, then changing to a less power hungry version can save quite a bit of money (if your set is running many hours per day). A Kill-a-Watt type meter can help you figure out what appliances are costing you today (at least your 120 VAC plug-in devices).

Natural Gas prices should be dropping (or at least not rising), unless government gets involved and does the high taxes/carbon credit/local regulation type stuff.

But, if your gas prices are high--You might want to look at some new electric appliances that may be cheaper to run than the gas fired versions (especially if you add GT Solar).

A heat pump based water heater such as this one. Is probably 2-3x more efficient than the resistive version. The "waste energy" of these is cold air and dehumidification--Not bad for a warm island climate (something like $1,000-$2,000 continental US pricing).

And there are the Mini-Split A/C + heat pump units (if you need dehumidifcation and/or heating in cold weather). They are probably 2x more efficient than older A/C units. And can be 2-3x more efficient than resistive electric heat. (i.e., what if your electric costs were 1/2 to 1/3 of the $0.20 to run those appliances vs natural gas).

You can play with this fuel cost calculator to see what the numbers work out to be (don't fall in love with a solution--do the math first):

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

Without knowing more details--It is hard to guess... But, say your natural gas prices is 2x mine:

2x $1.36 per therm (~1 CCF) = $2.72 per Therm

Electricity cost is $0.20 per kWH

From the Calculator:

Electric: $58.60 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home
    Nat Gas: $34.00 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home

So, from a simple point of view, if the electric hybrid hot water heater is 2x as efficient per standard "resistive heating", then you would be saving a bit of money. If it is 3x as efficient (warmer climates, the hybrid heaters are more efficient), then you could save more.

The electric hybrid heaters have different modes--A high efficiency mode where it only heats with the heat pump (probably at a rate of 1,000 to 1,500 watts) or the high demand mode where they heat with traditional resistance heater (lots of people taking showers, etc.)--So in that mode, they are less efficient.

Regarding cooking, there are inductive cook tops and "hot plates" which are pretty nice (with the correct pots). You can try a "hot plate" induction cooker in your kitchen and see how you like it. I tried one for some cooking and it worked fine--However it was supposed to be around 1,800 watt, and using a Kill-a-Watt meter showed only ~1,300 watts maximum power from the outlet--So, they may not cook as fast as they could.

Also, if you are into stews, rice dishes, etc. that take a long time to simmer (or even use a "crock pot")--A popular cooking accessory is a large thermos. They work great--We just place the pot on a stove, bring the meat (or whatever) to a boil, and throw it in the thermos for a couple hours, and reboil if longer cooking time is needed). Not cheap, and in our area, you can find them at the local Asian markets. Again--reducing the cost of heat to cook, and reducing heat released in the conditioned space.

Assuming you need A/C (at times) for cooling--Reducing heat into the home via stove, old TV, etc. can reduce your cooling costs too (plus if the hybrid water heater is in a conditioned space, its "waste" is cold air.

At this point, one of our posters here (Solar Guppy) believes that the hybrid water heaters are actually more cost effective than pure solar thermal--Given that you don't have solar thermal panels, pumps, extra water storage tanks, maintenance, etc.)--Pumps, leaks, freezing weather (probably not an issue for you), air leaks and air locks in piping, etc. are all real issues.

If you want to still look at solar thermal panels for hot water/home heating--I really like this guy's website. He goes through the detains of design, installation, and debugging/redesign when he hit all of the issues that everyone finds on their first project.

http://www.arttec.net/Solar/BarnHeat.html

From this thread:

Solar Shed and other Solar Thermal Links

-Bill

PS: I should add that you need to really study your power bill and various options (time of use, seasonal pricing, net metering).... Every place is different.

Some will install one meter--And at the end of the month, will charge you (or credit you) based on the reading (i.e., if you use lots of electricity at night, but generate a bunch during the day, the net amount after 1 month--or 1 year). Others will install two meters. One to charge your kWH per month usage, and a second to pay you your kWH per month generation, etc...

Depending on how your utility bills (and various billing options you may have), can dramatically affect your choices and eventual system.

Another question I have--You mentioned inverter sizing vs your loads... For Grid Tied systems, the sizing of the inverter is just to support your array size. YOu do not need to size your GT Inverter based on your peak loads--The power will be supplied by your utility and the GT inverter just injects the power it receives from the solar array into the home wiring system... More or less like your car's alternator. And the utility looks for all the world like a giant AC Battery Bank.
  • kristianyonuel
    Options

Hello BB, thank you for the information!! Puerto Rico is a little different from the states (I only lived in Alaska for four years).. We don't have Natural gas as you do I have to buy a Tank 100 pounds (about $70.00 and last 8-12 months.) for the stove and dryer.. As for the power company.. It's variable because the power company (only one) buy the oil at the current price of the previous month or something like that. For what I have heard for the solar companies I spoken so far is that they pay back .10 cents kw what I made extra (probably will never do because of the system I have in mind.) There are others reasons as to why I want to do the solar panels (not interested in water solar heating) just as I've always been interested in electronics, solar cells, etc.. However I do want to make sure the costs are fair and right and expecting a ROI in 5 years or so.. I'm definitely going to check tomorrow a couple of stores as Sears to see if they have GeoSpring. Thank you very much for the useful information and help.

Still, I have not signed any contract yet I'm going to visit the first shop tomorrow to see what they have to offer. Thanks!
    Without knowing more details--It is hard to guess... But, say your natural gas prices is 2x mine:

2x $1.36 per therm (~1 CCF) = $2.72 per Therm

Electricity cost is $0.20 per kWH

From the Calculator:

Nat Gas: $34.00 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home

So, from a simple point of view, if the electric hybrid hot water heater is 2x as efficient per standard "resistive heating", then you would be saving a bit of money. If it is 3x as efficient (warmer climates, the hybrid heaters are more efficient), then you could save more.

The electric hybrid heaters have different modes--A high efficiency mode where it only heats with the heat pump (probably at a rate of 1,000 to 1,500 watts) or the high demand mode where they heat with traditional resistance heater (lots of people taking showers, etc.)--So in that mode, they are less efficient.

Regarding cooking, there are inductive cook tops and "hot plates" which are pretty nice (with the correct pots). You can try a "hot plate" induction cooker in your kitchen and see how you like it. I tried one for some cooking and it worked fine--However it was supposed to be around 1,800 watt, and using a Kill-a-Watt meter showed only ~1,300 watts maximum power from the outlet--So, they may not cook as fast as they could.

Also, if you are into stews, rice dishes, etc. that take a long time to simmer (or even use a "crock pot")--A popular cooking accessory is a large thermos. They work great--We just place the pot on a stove, bring the meat (or whatever) to a boil, and throw it in the thermos for a couple hours, and reboil if longer cooking time is needed). Not cheap, and in our area, you can find them at the local Asian markets. Again--reducing the cost of heat to cook, and reducing heat released in the conditioned space.

Assuming you need A/C (at times) for cooling--Reducing heat into the home via stove, old TV, etc. can reduce your cooling costs too (plus if the hybrid water heater is in a conditioned space, its "waste" is cold air.

At this point, one of our posters here (Solar Guppy) believes that the hybrid water heaters are actually more cost effective than pure solar thermal--Given that you don't have solar thermal panels, pumps, extra water storage tanks, maintenance, etc.)--Pumps, leaks, freezing weather (probably not an issue for you), air leaks and air locks in piping, etc. are all real issues.

If you want to still look at solar thermal panels for hot water/home heating--I really like this guy's website. He goes through the detains of design, installation, and debugging/redesign when he hit all of the issues that everyone finds on their first project.

http://www.arttec.net/Solar/BarnHeat.html

From this thread:

Solar Shed and other Solar Thermal Links

-Bill

PS: I should add that you need to really study your power bill and various options (time of use, seasonal pricing, net metering).... Every place is different.

Some will install one meter--And at the end of the month, will charge you (or credit you) based on the reading (i.e., if you use lots of electricity at night, but generate a bunch during the day, the net amount after 1 month--or 1 year). Others will install two meters. One to charge your kWH per month usage, and a second to pay you your kWH per month generation, etc...

Depending on how your utility bills (and various billing options you may have), can dramatically affect your choices and eventual system.

Another question I have--You mentioned inverter sizing vs your loads... For Grid Tied systems, the sizing of the inverter is just to support your array size. YOu do not need to size your GT Inverter based on your peak loads--The power will be supplied by your utility and the GT inverter just injects the power it receives from the solar array into the home wiring system... More or less like your car's alternator. And the utility looks for all the world like a giant AC Battery Bank.
  • BB.
    Options

So--It sounds like you have propane... And for the little amount you use (stove and drier)--At this point it probably does not make much sense to convert to something else--Although, if you could find an induction hot plate for a reasonable price (or at a yard sale)--I would recommend giving it a shot.

For propane, you are paying around $3.50 per gallon (or a bit less)... Using the calculator again (and $0.20 for electricity):

Propane: $49.81 per Million BTU of Heat delivered to home

It is pretty close to a wash in terms of heat in your home. And an induction hot plate may actually save money over time:
    If you're in the market for a new stove and want to reduce your food-prep footprint, you might consider one that works by induction. Induction creates heat faster by magnetically accelerating metal molecules in steel, cast-iron and some stainless steel pots. Once you remove the pot from the eye, the stove also cools much faster [source: Schaub].Because it conforms to those specific metals, an induction stove transfers 90 percent of its heat to a pot [source: McGee]. On the other hand, a gas burner transfers just 35 to 40 percent of its heat to the pan on top of it, and an electric one delivers 70 percent [source: McGee]. Just beware that the price tag could deter you. Induction stovetops run between $700 and $1,300 for an average model [source: Induction Cooking]. Standard gas and electric models hover just above $300.
    When it comes to energy waste, the way you cook could have more to do with it than the stove that supplies it. For instance, when two people make the same meal, it's possible for one to use twice the energy doing so [source: Cureton and Reed]. The simple act of covering a pot of water will bring it to a boil in half the time it takes uncovered [source: McGee].

The pots and pans you select also make a difference in cooking time. To maximize the heat transmission on electric stoves, find flat-bottomed pans that make full contact with the eyes [source: Cureton and Reed]. Regularly clean the grease catchers under your burners since the shiny surface reflects heat and reduces cooking time. Also, size matters on the stove and in the oven. Only pull out the Dutch ovens and stew pots when preparing large amounts of food.

If your stove has pilot lights--That could (in theory) use upwards of 40% of your energy for the standing pilots.

And--I highly recommend you talk with your power company about their billing options and practices... For example, my peak summer rate is about 3x my off peak rates (~$0.30 per kWH vs $0.09 per kWH)... So, just placing a timer on the water heater to avoid peak power rates can save a bunch of money.

Also, we (may) have the option of remote on/off via radio from the power company. Interruptible power on your water heater (and AC) can reduce your power costs too.

But--since the power company does not make money on your solar power system--They may have some very bad pricing options. There can be a big difference between you using 800 kWH and generating 600 kWH per month (as an example):

One method, monthly net metering:
    (800 kWH used - 600 kWH generated) * $0.20 per kWH = $40 monthly bill

Another method with two meters:
    800 kWH used * 0.20 = $160 per month billed
    600 kWH gen * 0.10 = $60 credit
    $100 monthly bill

If your installer has done this for a while, he should be able to outline the billing (options) and estimate how they would affect you.

In Northern California, we have Time of Use and Tiered Pricing thrown in--and for commercial it is even worse... One stupid change in rules can actually end up costing more per month in electric bills with solar than with out (this was for people that wanted to try a small array first, then forced on to Time of Use billing--their summer afternoon A/C costs skyrocketed and their small "GT Solar test system" did not come close to saving them money--Different problems but similar results for some schools with commercial billing actually increased their costs).

-Bill
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My local Sears store didn,t have the Geo spring at thier store so bought off sears website. They deliver to store and you can pick up there. If you watch sears site you will most likely find it on sale. I am into third year with mine and I am very satisfied with it. Solarvic
  • kristianyonuel
    Options

Wow Biill, that's a lot of great information! I can't believe that the power companies actually change rates seasonal.. Sometimes I think we got it bad here but we don't have those rules yet.. I hope they don't get new ideas of charging us more! I'm writing down all the topics I want to ask tomorrow, thank you very much for the info and good night or afternoon where you are!
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options
    jaggedben I don't understand the 17 limit for the M215.. How is he going to do it?

Late reply here...

Only 17 M215s can be put on a circuit with a single 20A breaker. If he's going to give you more than 17 panels, he'll need to install a subpanel to take multiple breakers. (More than 17 M215s may trip a 20A breaker in full sun, and a breaker larger than 20A will not adequately protect the wire if there is an AC short. Remember power can still short through the wiring from the utility side).
  • kristianyonuel
    Options

Thanks, He told me it would work as I have an extra circuit for the AC separated with space for the installation. Still working out the details of loans/incentives.. thanks all for the help!
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    Options

I used an instant on gas hot water heater from Wal-Mart. $200. I think it was a Marley brand or something.

Call this guy Eliezer. I work with him at Honeywell. He is a licensed installer. 787 431 7208. He doesn’t have much of a web site but here it is www.solexenergypr.com

Good luck with the 40%. It’s like a lottery system so don’t plan on it. It was a 75% tax credit just a few years ago!

If your paying 20 cents a KWH your getting a good deal. I am paying more than that!