DC LED Lights While Equalizing

Options
paulskirocks
paulskirocks Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭
I'm noticing that some 12 and 14 VDC LED lights out there have a voltage limit below the equalizing voltage, and pretty maybe a bit too close to the absorption charge for comfort... My goal is to be able to not rely on a DC to DC rectifier or AC inverter for most of my needs, other than a 13.8 volt regulated supply for my radio gear and other DC electronics, and an inverter for short term AC loads, so I want the DC lighting to be directly from the battery bank...

Anyone have any hands on experience with this?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DC LED Lights While Equalizing

paul..,

I have NO hands-on experience, but a friend blew up some LED under-counter lights by using an unregulated wall wart to power them.

You may want to run LED lighting from a regulated power supply. THis may be a pain if the LEDs are distributed around a room or in a number of rooms.

This high-ish voltage charging cold batts, and EQing them (particularly using 12 V), is one of the main drawbacks of direct DC loads on batteries -- the voltage variation on battery systems is often just too great for the direct loads. Many 12 V inverters shut down at around 15 V DC, which can also be a bit of a pain. Opinions + attitude, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.