Solar Training

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
What can you guys recommend as the best place for solar training, both on and offline? I realize there must be a hands on training at some point.

So far I found SEI, Ontility, Blue something or other...which do you guys recommend?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar Training

What is it you are looking for? Grid Tied? Off Grid? Designing a system? Installing a system?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique

Everything...Grid Tie and Standalone, although probably more grid tie than anything else. And yes, I need to learn from designing to installing a system.

I live in Honduras and I have a solar business. We mostly install solar water heaters but we have made some FV system installs based on my father's knowledge who set up his own home system about 15 years ago. He is a civil engineer and taught me what little I know about solar panels, inverters, chargers and battery banks. I have read up on it online quite a bit. I installed my own system along with an electrician. I want to get a bit more formal training on the subject, enough to feel qualified to offer the service to a customer.
  • BB.

I think there are three parts:
    • Vendor Specific Training (GT Inverter specification vs Solar array sizing)
    • Rails and Roof Penetrations. Along with wind loadings (In US, that may mean need a signature from a civil engineer)
    • Electrical Wiring--Pretty straight forward--In US, many regions may require a licensed Electrician (may even need solar "certified")

The first one--If you have a Mfg/Vendor identified--You should be able to get training from them.

The second--I have seen some pretty good vendor catalogs. There are some good starts for load calculations--You might do some work on a couple design types (roof, ground, etc.) with a civil engineer to make sure it will withstand your weather (maximum winds--Probably not much in the way of snow loads). Another issue is roof type(s) and specific structural elements underneath. You probably do not need an engineer for signoff--But getting some early support to ensure that you understand the basics between what is an "acceptable" structure and what is not, would be a good start. IronRidge seems to have some very detailed documentation.

Last part is probably the "easiest". Since you have already installed with an electrician--You know the basics. I would suggest a Code Book, or reference book that is written using the "codes" and available wiring/devices (English/Metric/etc.) for further study. We talk about the basic math--You just need to match those requirements (typically maximum current, breakers, etc.) to your region.

In the Working FAQ, and other reference sources listed too:
    Regarding Solar Books:

What's a Good Beginners Book?

From the above thread:
    FL SUN wrote: »
    This is a link to a PV textbook I find very informative. It was a requirement for the FL contractor's exam I took last month. It even has a very good interactive CD with a bunch of informative extras. A quick search on-line shows this book goes for about $75.00 USD everywhere.

Don't forget nothing compares to OJT when it comes to installation. It's always best to apply in the field what you've learned from a good textbook first.
    http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?show=HARDCVR W/COMP MEDIA:NEW:9780826912879:75.00
    TnAndy wrote: »
    Rick,

Here a good "textbook" on solar......it actually IS a textbook for some solar courses, and is set up that way with practice questions at the end of each chapter, but it's also a good self guide as to the basics of components and how they mesh together to make a system. Worth the money, IMHO.

Solar Book Here
    Some information on NEC and how it applies to solar power:

PV and the 2005 NEC -- Reference Document

And, of course, the NEC Code Book (current edition or version that is used by your locality).
    -Bill

PS: Our host also has a Book they recommend:

Book - The New Solar Electric Home

PPS: From another poster:
    KeithWHare wrote: »
    I recommend "Photovoltaics: Design and Installation Manual" from Solar Energy International. This does a pretty decent job of explaining everything except for battery banks.

Keith

PPPS: From another website, I saw thisBoatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook recommended.

PPPPS:
    according to wikipedia once it is adopted into law by a particular govt agency it becomes public knowledge

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/ga_electric.pdf

is one link

there are many more specific to certain states/cities here

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique

I bought the Photovoltaics Design and Installation manual from SEI, but in spanish because I want my assistant to read it and he doesnt speak english. SEI told me there is no manual for the english course PV101 (which costs $795) but since I want my assistant to take it, i bought the manual for FVOL 101 equivalent (which costs $195). Its disappointing because aside from the grammatical mistakes, Ive gone from Ch1 to Ch9, more than 50% of the book, it seems very repetitive and not very explicative. Perhaps the second half is so much better. For example, I just posted a question which i thought would be answered by now in the book...I posted it in the forums about the wiring of an Aux Panel in a residential system.
  • BB.

Yea--Finding good educational materials is getting more difficult and expensive in the US--Let alone the solar specific information. :cry:

Hopefully others here can give you some more pointers--This is about the limits of my knowledge in this corner of the field.

-Bill
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

SMA offer free, or nearly free training on their products in most countries. I attended a week long course in Germany which covered almost all their products and it was completely free. They offer the same course in Spain for 30 euros for the whole week.
    Of course it's only on their products, but the principals are the same for other manufacturers' kit. Well worth it if they offer this in your country or nearby.
  • kswartz
    kswartz Registered Users Posts: 1
    quique wrote: »
    I bought the Photovoltaics Design and Installation manual from SEI, but in spanish because I want my assistant to read it and he doesnt speak english. SEI told me there is no manual for the english course PV101 (which costs $795) but since I want my assistant to take it, i bought the manual for FVOL 101 equivalent (which costs $195). Its disappointing because aside from the grammatical mistakes, Ive gone from Ch1 to Ch9, more than 50% of the book, it seems very repetitive and not very explicative. Perhaps the second half is so much better. For example, I just posted a question which i thought would be answered by now in the book...I posted it in the forums about the wiring of an Aux Panel in a residential system.

Have you tried SEI's PV Design and Installation online courses? They are updated at least twice a year so the content is really current and we have classes that focus on grid-tied residential, grid-tied commerical, and stand-alone. We have a Spanish online course available- FVOL101: Diseño e Instalación de Sistemas Fotovoltaicos (conexión directa a la red) - en linea available for $195/ person (thanks to grant funding.) There's also a lot of additional training available in English as well (for online and hands-on classes.) Go to http://www.solarenergy.org/workshop-schedule for more information or call 970-963-8855. We also have a brand new textbook that was just published and really dives into grid-tied systems. Right now, it's only available in English. (The Spanish textbook that you are referring to is really designed for off-grid systems.)

Thanks,
    Kathy at SEI
  • quique

Yeah I do have the Spanish course book with me. Im thru to chapter 9 and so far I have gotten little out of it. Perhaps its because Im only up to Ch9 like I said. I bought it in Spanish because I want my tech to learn as well. I planned on taking the English course but Im worried that if so far, the spanish book, has not lived up to my expectations (at $195) the english book might be similar and thats a $795 investment.

I am interested in both grid tied and offgrid systems. In Honduras we cant sell electricity back to the grid, but they are grid tied in the sense that people want to use them not only as a backup when grid fails (which is more often than in the US) but now that electricity is so expensive (we have no oil you see :)) people would like to at least power some things off solar. So we need grid tied for that reason. We need to be able to take the 120VAC loads such as lights, fans, most outlets etc, and move them to the solar-inverter powered aux load panel and just leave the stove, clothes dryer and a/cs on the main panel.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    quique wrote: »

I am interested in both grid tied and offgrid systems. In Honduras we cant sell electricity back to the grid, but they are grid tied in the sense that people want to use them not only as a backup when grid fails (which is more often than in the US) but now that electricity is so expensive (we have no oil you see :)) people would like to at least power some things off solar. So we need grid tied for that reason. We need to be able to take the 120VAC loads such as lights, fans, most outlets etc, and move them to the solar-inverter powered aux load panel and just leave the stove, clothes dryer and a/cs on the main panel.

You probably know this already, but traditional grid-tied PV and PV that can operate when the grid is down are very different animals. They take different types of inverters and to run in the absence of the grid you must have batteries.
  • ARTsolar
    ARTsolar Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭

I have taken several of the online courses from the Heatspring Learning Institute, and have enjoyed them and found them informational. They offer several free introductory classes for free that you could try out to see if you like the format.

http://www.heatspring.com/
  • quique

Yes, I understand that. I wish we could have true grid tied systems in Honduras, but until we are allowed to sell energy back to the power company, that will not happen. So unfortunately we are stuck with PVs that charge a bb and operate when the grid is down. We have had similar systems for quite a while because our power company is unreliable at best, so people charged bb from the grid with inverters and used the bb power when the grid power went offline. Now electricity is getting so expensive some people want to have solar power as a backup but also as a means to save on energy bills.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

RE the book in Spanish, have you asked the company directly 'what is the difference between the English and the Spanish versions'? never costs to ask...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • quique

I did and they said it was "almost the Same material" so i figured it would be useful. And it might be in future chapters. I was just wondering if anyone else had had the experience of the PV101 or FVOL101 at SEI and how far along did that get them.
    westbranch wrote: »
    RE the book in Spanish, have you asked the company directly 'what is the difference between the English and the Spanish versions'? never costs to ask...
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    RE the book in Spanish, have you asked the company directly 'what is the difference between the English and the Spanish versions'?
    Yes, and they said, "about six hundred bucks."