Finally wired and fused!

ouello
ouello Registered Users Posts: 21
I still have some work to do, but the addition of the buss bars really improved balance between batteries! I'm still waiting for inline mini ANL fuse/holder to replace the smallish ATC fuse holder... Any last minute suggestions...

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Next year's project: new batteries + new location... But I need to find batteries that won't go numb in < -20 C !

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Finally wired and fused!

Looks awesome, great, neat work.
    One thing to watch - - you mentioned ATC fuse holder, I've had two of those fuse holders develop a resistance down inside somewhere and melted / welded the fuse legs to the push in clips and self destructed. Both of them could very easily have caused a fire had they not been enclosed in a metal box. I replaced one with a larger, heavier duty design of a similar type intended for high power automotive audio, and the same thing happened. Now I only use Blue Sea bolted type fuses and holders and have had no more problems. The ATC type seem OK for low amp loads, but when subjected continuously to higher amps, 10 to 30 amps, that's when problems occur given time.
    On another note from experience, expect the automotive type inverter to shut down when the batteries are being properly topped up by solar, or when being equalized. It will likely shut down at slightly over 14.5 volts. My cousin has the same model inverter and must shut off his panels on sunny days if he needs to use the inverter, and that sucks.
    But it's all a learning process :)
    Just had another look at your inverter photo, and I see the second type fuse holder I mentioned having problems with, is in line with one of the leads going to your controller. So you are using the same two types of fuse holders I had melt down. They were fine for a while, then the trouble started. So keep a very close eye on them, they'll literally melt down when you least expect it. Don't hold off upgrading them to a bolted type, or perhaps circuit breaker.
    The ones I switched to are similar to these:
    https://bluesea.com/category/2/12/productline/128
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Nice looking bus bars and cabling. Did you pick up everything locally?
  • ouello

Thanks for the warning! I just received my mini ANL fuse holder that are bolt down... Its hard to find a holder that will accept 10-15 Amp fuses and big wire inputs...
  • ouello

I CNC machined them myself at work (I'm a machinist) and laser hetched positives and negatives logos too...overkill!
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    ouello wrote: »
    I CNC machined them myself at work (I'm a machinist) and laser hetched positives and negatives logos too...overkill!
    Very nice indeed!
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

I don't know about overkill, they look great to me.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done! Much neater than most of my home spun wiring, but lots of questions here.

With 50 amp batteries, you normally wouldn't want to discharge faster than 1/8th of capacity at any moment so 7-8 amps, likely you could have gone with some much smaller wire, and fuses for each battery? perhaps some 'fuse blocks' used for other things could be used.

For the record having just looked into replacment costs for wire I have on hand and purchasing a tiny amount of #6 thhn, I wouldn't show off you 'gold' bars to many people!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.