Ground Mount Systems

Options
wximagery
wximagery Registered Users Posts: 1
Hey all, I'm in the process of getting my PV plans approved by my regional building inspectors and I need to find a good ground mount system for my panels that is up to code. For those of you mounting on the ground (and have your system permitted) what manufacturer did you go with? I'm wanting to use a low-profile system that I can manually adjust the tilt angle depending on the time of year.

I haven't bought anything yet.

Thanks,

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Ground Mount Systems

it would help if you listed your location.

"UP TO CODE" is really up to interpretation.

I mounted 28 panels on aluminum square tube that was sledge hammered into the clay soil 2 feet. no concrete footers, and added some metal roofing to the back side so the wind could not get up and under them for my first solar install. looking back on it, it was probably just as cheap to buy a system, because the labor to make a custom system was so high.

Next install I did not do, but was involved in the planning. This was for my sister in Orlando Florida and we choose the wind safe system from schletter for 2 reason. 1. it was low profile only 6 feet tall for a 10KW system in 3 rows local HOA made her make it that low so the neighbors wouldn't have to view the "UGLY" array.
    2. because it did not require huge cement footers to meet florida's strict 110mph wind load codes. that way if she wants to sell the house she can easily sell the solar system seperately, or move it , etc.

the issue with both of these low systems is you need to watch for weeds growing and shading the lower panels.

If you do not have very strick local wind codes then you can probably get away with making your own. Easternmetal.com sells a lot of aluminum cheap, much cheaper than a professional system. of course if you do not have tools and knowledge i'd just go with schletter.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Ground Mount Systems

local inspectors may also ask for the fencing off of the pvs to restrict access to them.