4's a crowd or any secrets to chasing wires through conduit?

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I'm wiring things up on my new array, and went to the cabin to bring over the scraps of wire I've been saving, I have enough #4 thhn to do my shortish 12-15 foot run from combiner box to power center, but it's been around for a while (10 years) and I don't think it's a flexable as it once was, or I'm weaker, likely.

The trick is I was thinking I had enough #6 to do the job, so I purchased 1" conduit, but I can't do more than a single run (4000 watt array feeding 2 classics) The run will have 3 45 degree turns and I think I'll be able to dry fit then cement it with the 4 #4's, but it won't be much fun. Also I think the classics are only setup with lugs for #6 wire, is there any harm in just trimming out a few strands? I do this with 7? strand #10 wire when crimping on MC4 connectors, seams like I only get one side to encircle the wire if I don't (I just clip one wire stran).

I did check code and 1" is OK for 4 - #4 and since there will be a tiny voltage drop, I doubt I'd need to derate, but have no worries at this point as I will max out at @35 amps @ 58 volts, currently.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 4's a crowd or any secrets to chasing wires through conduit?

Hi ..whit,

The MN Classic terminal block is rated for #4 AWG 19-strand wire, although, it will probably be a bit difficult to make the bend if it feeds from a side knock-out.. But you may not have all of these terminals wired with #4, which might help give you a bit more room.

Since there needs to be a disconnect on the input side of the CC(s), some make the transition from #4 to a short run of #6 AWG at the output of the breaker, and NBD if the short run is #6.

I, too, have had to nip one or even two wires from stranded cable to fit it into its destination. It might be frouned on, but should be OK, especially if the place where the individual wire is nipped is not visible.

Yes, does look like 4 ea #4 THHN will fit 1" PVC and pass the fill test.

Have fun with the new installation. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit

I have a couple 90 amp breakers for the solar input in a generic Epanel, really disconnect, and I didn't realize it until now, but since the breakers protect the wire, they are now correct!(I think) Good to know about the Classic, guess I was going by the looks, and not reading. The wiring will be interesting, #6 from the breaker should be fine. The classics are going to be a trick, 2 now and a third with phase 2. I might run some 2" conduit across the bottom with adapters to 1" so I can run the input out put wires and leave the 1" side connections for the battery sensor and networking and communication cables.

I found some 100+ feet of #2 I had forgotten about, which will be nice for the longer run from the phase 2 array! I'd hate to buy it now, I think it was given to me for helping with some roofing, guess it's a $150 'tip' now.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

90a breakers? rare no matter if talking ac or dc.
  • Photowhit

Midnite Solar, DC rated, panel mount breakers bought from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun! It's a great place to shop for those rare items!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

nice. i didn't realize they had 90a cbs.8)