What happens when a solar power system is not used for long periods?

Options
Fe-Wood
Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
I am just about to put together a PV system and got to thinking about how it will work when I'm away for long periods.
My current Generator/Battery power system doesn't like to be totally turned off. I have fund it best to just turn off the inverter rather that the disconnect. Messes with the battery monitoring system with the battery self discharge.

My PV part of the system will be 2450 watts with a Midnight Solar controller. All the parts are starting to arrive, WaHoo!

How best to shut it down while I'm away?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What happens when a solar power system is not used for long periods?

Just as you suspect: disconnect the loads, leaving the panels and charge controller operating. Before you go make sure flooded cells are charged and have proper electrolyte level. You can usually leave such a system for six months without any trouble.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Once the batteries are >~75% charged--You can probably cut back on the absorb voltage (14.2 to 14.4 volts?) and absorb time (2 hours or less?) and that will help the batteries use less water--But keep them fully charged.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks guys!

That goes into the PV system Folder!!!