Gas oven without an electric glow bar?

13»

Comments

• Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Gas oven without an electric glow bar?

If you have a few hours to kill and you want to armchair search for Whirlpool DSI ranges on the 'net, I would go to Sears.com (they are a major reseller of Whirlpool). Find the model number of the range for sale, then go to Sears parts site and type in the model number and look at the diagrams to see if it has a silicon carbide igniter or not.

These DSI ranges appear to be getting more popular than they were a few years ago. I have seen what I would consider gorgeous specimens, in all black and stainless steel, five burners, self cleaning oven, huge, thick grates, etc. However, they were all free standing, not slide in.

From a repairman point of view, slide in ranges are nothing but trouble. They are often more expensive to fix and always more expensive to replace than free standing. If your customer is really so wealthy that they demand a slide-in range, or a ceramic top, I would just smile and agree with them and add panels and batteries to my design to compensate for the additional electric draw.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    mikeo wrote: »
    has to be a separate sensor system to detect if the fire goes out and shuts of the gas to the burner with spark ignition.

Yup the old thermocouple that has been around forever it seems and is still used on propane fridges and LPG/LNG DHW tanks.

Maybe there aren't enough requests made to the manufacturer to make them aware there is some pent up demand...
    e

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury = Thermocouple
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury = Thermocouple

Huh ? Thermocouples are 2 dissimilar wires, (iron–constantan), (copper–constantan) or (chromel–alumel) are what we use at work all the time.

I think the mercury is used in thermometer type systems, with an expansion bellows and a switch.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The main reason that many of the manufactures of the oven gas/flame control system went to glow plugs was the mercury in the old systems. Premier almost discontinued their line of ranges last year and went to glow igniters because of it. They got around it by starting a recycling program for the oven burner mechanism. Who knows if that will last but for now it save them.
    http://www.premierrange.com/faq-mercury.php
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Mr Mike and Dave are both correct.

Mike is correct on Thermocouple,,,,that are 2 dissimilar wires, (iron–constantan), (copper–constantan) or (chromel–alumel) are what we use at work all the time.

Dave is correct that Premier use's mercury But is NOT using a Thermocouple but instead use's a hot bulb system .. and has for years.
    ""safety valve capillary bulb from the oven pilot.""

I'll see If i can post a picture of one (Need to find the spare I bought Yearssss ago) in case ..

You know , if you have one , You'll never require it.

They work very similar in holding the pilot supply open , but unlike my Gas water heater , it has power wires ..

HTH's

VT
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

pic's attached
    http://www.ultimheat.com/Bulb%20and%20capillary%20thermostats%20and%20contact%20thermometers.jpg

Differentiated from the millivolt thermal-piles, because the copper tube is not detachable, but permanently attached to the control device.

Bulb%20and%20capillary%20thermostats%20and%20contact%20thermometers.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

My $0.01,

Have had a Peerless Premier for six years, and have been very happy with it. It is in black porcelain finish, which has been very serviceable.

Has not been used much for baking, but that seems to work well. i Have no use for a ceramic cook-top, as the Premier cleans up well with little effort, but a convection oven would be great.

Am in the market for an additional off grid LPG stove (at another location), and expect that it will be another Peerless Premier, in black.

I think that most large kitchen appliances have been cheapened out -- much lighter guage steel etc. Plus packing materials reduced/elinimated, which makes them much more prone to shipping damage. The Whirlpool refer that was bought (six years ago) for the current off grid cabin, came without any cardboard whatsoever. Just wrapped in shipping film and edge protectors. I picked it up at the warehouse, so believe that it never had any more packing on it.

Hope that Peerless has not gone to Glo-Bars. Interesting read, Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • CDN_VT

We are going to purchase a new Peerless Premier or a Unique Stove..
    The older unit will be moved to my Boyz room Out building for an extra area to brew the wart & wine making..
    Unique use 2 9volts for its spark start , while the Peerless use 120v~ ..
    Peerless is manual start on oven section (without shore power) plus you need to be a flexible squatter for that enjoyment..

As much as this types easy , moving in Gas lines, installing ventilation hoods take time.
    In doing much reading on different systems / makers (Euro & Down under) the corrugated flex stainless steel feed line / tube that North America uses seems to have some fire aspects in high lightning strike areas.
    They sometimes are the best ground to the underground line... Just something to consider. I'm not using one for that reason ..

VT
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Unique use 2 9volts for its spark start
    Looked at their website and it mentions no pilots on the top burners (good), but how does the oven work? Is it manual or does it also have spark ignition?
  • wrdaigle
    wrdaigle Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Looked at their website and it mentions no pilots on the top burners (good), but how does the oven work? Is it manual or does it also have spark ignition?

I have a Unique stove. The oven does have spark ignition...BUT it ignites a standing pilot light. We didn't realize this when we bought it and were rather disappointed. You can get down on the floor and blow out the pilot after each use. We tried this at first, but found it difficult to relight (it sometimes took several minutes). I think the flow to the pilot light is adjustable. We may just need some adjustment. In the end, we just gave up -- we let the pilot run all winter long and blow it out in the summer. We love the stove. We had trouble with two of the four spark igniters at first, but Unique replaced them right away.
  • CDN_VT

Sorry Mikeo, just getting this subscribe threads down.

External power to ignite Oven & top burners , BUT they both may be lite ,,by a long match under in the bottom pan / grill for the oven .
    and no pilot lamp when oven is off. We use LPG

MY wife NOW loves it , (I Live with a Cook who , has added to the waist ;) }
    You need to adjust the flame/ draft , tune the system.
    Mr MikeO , I see your fingers/post .. Right up yur ally.

Very simple , and I have added toys to make the cook enjoy more.
    She hates the old electric, that WE still use the "sucker"(powder coat emulsifier )

Sorry on the late reply , but after 2 warranty calls (they sent parts ASAP) and my install and tune.
    Wife learn't different burners to temp & such .
    Flawless..

VT