XW 6048 grid lock up

Options
Brock
Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
For four years now we have been running our XW 6048. We have on peak off peak rates so I use a contactor from the meter that shuts off the grid feed to the inverter when we hit on peak or high rates, then when we go back to low rates the contactor pulls in and the AC returns to the inverter. The inverter then locks back on to the grid and switches over without any issue. Lately and only when re-connecting to the grid the inverter just shuts off all together. I looked through the error logs and there is nothing listed, no over or under voltage, no over load or anything, the inverter just appears to shut off. It just started doing this about 2 months ago and is slowly increasing in frequency, maybe happening 5 times now. We have two on times and two off times each day so I can't set the inverter to grid support or time of use.

So any idea what this could be? I keep thinking if something is wrong with the grid, which I can't imagine, it just shouldn't re-connect. There aren't any big loads that start at the same time, I used a time delay relay to start the other big loads 120 seconds after the grid picks back up. The battery bank never gets below 80%. The shut off has happed at the noon power up and at the 9 pm power up. At first I was thinking it might have something to do with the batteries being full and trying to sell back, but that wouldn't explain the 9 pm shut off.

Thoughts?
3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: XW 6048 grid lock up

You probably will have to contact Xantrex/Schneider about this problem... It sounds a bit like a software error (some variable went out of range--processor stack messed up, etc.)... I.e., something that causes the processor to reboot instead of reporting an error (hardware fault, etc.).

There may be a local DC supply issue--I.e., power transfer causes processor DC supply to go out of regulation, electrical interference during transfer, etc... Otherwise--These are all uniformed guesses (on my part)--And if this happens to one unit, I would bet that it has happened to others and they already have a service entry on how to address the problem (i.e., tell the customer they have never seen that problem before:-)).

Have you changed any XW related external cabling or wiring (power/signaling) since this problem has started (i.e., power line inductively coupling into RS 422 comm bus, into a temperature sensor, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should look int updatiing the firmware in the inverter. It is up to 1.07 BN3.

These units all have serious firmware bugs. I dont know what version of firmware you have currently installed but I do recall some sort of resync bug that was an issue. If you are into root canals, then there used to be a pretty extensive list of stuff that was wrong with the firmware on the Schneider site.

If you dont have the means to load up new firmware, then you might just want to try resetting the inverter to factory defaults (which will require you to write down all your settings and re-enter them manually) but, it might get you back to what you are used to for resync performance.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brock wrote: »
    For four years now we have been running our XW 6048.
    <snip>
    The battery bank never gets below 80%.

I don't know much about the XW. I don't know if a battery problem would cause this behavior. If it could be caused by a battery problem then you should look more carefully at your batteries (including their connections). Just because they are only 4 years old and never get below 80% doesn't mean that they are healthy.

Also, how do you know (with AGMs, how can anyone ever know) that they never get below 80%?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Brock
    Options

How do I check the firmware I am running right now? How hard is it to update it? I did wonder about a "reboot" kind of thing with the inverter.

I haven't changed anything on it. I take that back I did take the iota charger DLS543 off and got it repaired and put it back on. But it is connected directly to the bank not on the inverter end wasn't running any of the times this happened. And it did happen while it was off for repairs.

I did wonder about it just being the battery aging as well. I do have a trimetric and I have never seen the battery voltage below 48.0. I did put the fluke right at the meter and saw it dip to 47.7 at the inverter when the trimetric saw the 48.0 and that was when starting the 3 ton air heat pump.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried disconnecting the power from the XW, letting it "go cold", then rebooting the whole thing?
    That often cures any "in memory confusion". Since it worked before, it should work now unless something has gone wrong like that or an actual part failure as Bill suggested.
  • Brock
    Options

I haven't tried that. Is that how you re-boot? Just disconnecting power and let it sit for a bit? I am fine with wiping all the settings as well, simple enough to re-enter.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Brock ! It has been awhile!

The firmware revision is from the system settings screen on the system control panel. Scroll to the end and "view device info" I do not think this is your problem but would try what others have suggested. Definately reset the factory defaults and power cycle. If you do not have surge protection on battery, array, and loads, ouch, do this ASAP.

That is the only thing that get messed up from my offgrid experience with about 20 of them now. With the grid, you are even more succeptable. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

for the record, batteries don't need surge protection as only the electronics do. that means protection at every wire egress on the inverter and controller. i know i have encouraged the liberal use of spds, but 20 of them?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    for the record, batteries don't need surge protection as only the electronics do. that means protection at every wire egress on the inverter and controller. i know i have encouraged the liberal use of spds, but 20 of them?

Clarification:

Dave is saying he's seen 20 systems and within those a Voltage surge, either on the DC or AC side, has caused the XW to lose its tiny little electronic mind. :p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ok correction noted.
  • Brock
    Options

Hi Dave, Ya that work thing gets in the way of a lot of stuff, well that and the 4 kids keep me busy when I am not at work :)

So to reset the inverter just disconnect everything and let it sit? I am fine with re-entering all the settings?
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Hi Dave, Ya that work thing gets in the way of a lot of stuff, well that and the 4 kids keep me busy when I am not at work :)

So to reset the inverter just disconnect everything and let it sit? I am fine with re-entering all the settings?

DC disconnect and turn the inverter on to bleed down charge. Make sure CC's are disconnected if this is day time. I would let it sit dead for an hour but 5 minutes should do. Always surge protect any battery system to protect it's loads if you depend on them. Kids? Cats are hard enough.....

• Joe_B
    Options
    DC disconnect and turn the inverter on to bleed down charge. Make sure CC's are disconnected if this is day time. I would let it sit dead for an hour but 5 minutes should do. Always surge protect any battery system to protect it's loads if you depend on them. Kids? Cats are hard enough.....

??? all the parameters are stored in non volitile memory. Disconnecting the power from the grid and batteries may reset some of the hardware but if a bad value is stored in non volitile RAM, cycling the power wont do it. To reset the firmware to factory defaults, you have to do it from the SCP.

Resetting the Xantrex XW Series Inverter/Charger to Default Settings

The Restore Defaults command returns the Xantrex XW Series Inverter/
    Charger to factory default settings. After using the Restore Defaults
    command, the Xantrex XW Series Inverter/Charger is no longer configured for the
    power system.

To restore Xantrex XW Series Inverter/Charger default settings:

1. On the Advanced Setup menu, select Restore Defaults.
    Warning W252 appears, asking to confirm the command.

2. To cancel the command, press Exit. To continue with the
    Restore Defaults command, press Enter.

Important: If a warning is already active in the system, selecting
    Restore Defaults brings up the Warnings list, with warning W252 at the top.
    Press Enter to view W252 and continue with the restore defaults process.

CAUTION: Equipment damage

Do not restore defaults while the Xantrex XW Series Inverter/Charger is operating.
    De-energize the power system and disconnect the Xantrex XW Series Inverter/
    Charger AC input before restoring defaults. Reconfigure the Xantrex XW Series
    Inverter/Charger before reconnecting the AC input and re-energizing the
    power system.
  • Brock
    Options

Ok I have the SCP but didn't see a reset in there anywhere. Where is that one?
  • Joe_B
    Options
    Ok I have the SCP but didn't see a reset in there anywhere. Where is that one?

On the Advanced Setup menu, select Restore Defaults.
    Warning W252 appears, asking to confirm the command.
  • Brock
    Options

One last question. Should I restore defaults first, then power down or power down and when it come back up restore defaults?
  • Joe_B
    Options

When I do it, I put the breakers in bypass mode, power it down, let it sit for 10 minutes, power back up but dont enable it, then restore factory defaults but that is how I do it and there is nothing from the MFG on doing it. Dont forget to write down all the settings as restoring defaults will wipe them out.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

Brock,

I would do the power reset first before you restore the defaults. See what happens and then try the default reset. To get into advanced push enter, up, and down at the same time.