Fronius IG Plus Easy serial card

Hello,

I have hooked this card to my PC, set the baud on the inverter to 9600, and the interface to IFP.

The Fronius Solar Access software cannot find my inverter.

Please don't tell me that the software cannot be used with the Easy card!!!!

If so, why don't they tell you this before you buy it????

BTW I tried normal and null-modem wiring techniques...

TIA

Glen
Moultrie, GA

Comments

• gfbankston
    gfbankston Registered Users Posts: 12
    Re: Fronius IG Plus Easy serial card

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!

Do NOT buy this card for your inverter unless you are a software developer!!!

Just got the word from one of Fronius's techs. Another tech told me it WOULD work, he was wrong.

You must buy the expensive data logger or comm card. Of course, it does not make sense to me to spend $400 on a data logger for a $1700 inverter.

But, what do I know?

Glen
    answered my own question
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Glen,

I am sorry to hear about the confusion--I hope the vendor made good on the return.

And thank you very much for letting everyone know.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westyd1982
    westyd1982 Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am looking at installing a grid tie system on our house this year, and I want data access to the grid-tie inverter's info. I also want open access, not proprietary. I don't own a PC, only Macs and low-power linux boxes. This Fronius card looks like one of the best solutions (I can program and others have already solved the data access problem - see: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fslurp/). It looks like SMA started down this path, but doesn't support open access anymore. It looks like you have to buy expensive boxes and/or use proprietary PC software. Are there any other inverters with low cost, open access? Also does anyone know if the other Fronius interface cards use the same data access protocols? I'm thinking of having two inverters, but it is probably still cheaper to have two "easy" cards and just use a two port USB serial adaptor.
  • amosnomor
    amosnomor Registered Users Posts: 9
    gfbankston wrote: »
    WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!

Do NOT buy this card for your inverter unless you are a software developer!!!

Just got the word from one of Fronius's techs. Another tech told me it WOULD work, he was wrong.

You must buy the expensive data logger or comm card. Of course, it does not make sense to me to spend $400 on a data logger for a $1700 inverter.

But, what do I know?

Glen
    answered my own question

If you have Linux, you can use fslurp for talking to the Interface Easy Card, or the RS 232 Comm Card / DataLogger setup.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fslurp/
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that poster hasn't been here since april of this year. it is doubtful he will see it as most members log in and then read.