Outback Batteries

Options
TheBackRoads
TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
Does anyone have experience with the 'new to me' Outback batteries? Cost is higher per AH than say a 4D battery but the form factor is slightly appealing.

http://www.solar-electric.com/oupoenreba.html

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Outback Batteries

that would depend on what brand you are comparing against. i do wonder who actually made them.
  • TheBackRoads
    Options

Yeah, sorry, just comparing to entry level Universal battery. Cheaper than Concorde tho.
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options

It's seems like they would be better if they were 2 volts each instead of 12 volt.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    monoloco wrote: »
    It's seems like they would be better if they were 2 volts each instead of 12 volt.
    Well, sort of. If you read the full specifications on the housing that contains the batteries, you get the impression that the wire and bus sizes are all designed around a 48 volt system. Internal design would be more complicated and less flexible if planned around 2 volt cells. (Like for example, no way to have different capacities or partially populate the system and then add more cells later without changing the system voltage too.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i do wonder who actually made them.

Their form factor is suspiciously close to THESE Odyssey batteries which are made by Enersys.
  • niel
    Options
    mtdoc wrote: »
    Their form factor is suspiciously close to THESE Odyssey batteries which are made by Enersys.

yup, i think we have a winner there as the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. specs are slightly lower from 214ah@20hrs to 200ah@20hrs and the price from naws is less than 1/2 of that the other company is selling the odyssey for.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    yup, i think we have a winner there as the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. specs are slightly lower from 214ah@20hrs to 200ah@20hrs and the price from naws is less than 1/2 of that the other company is selling the odyssey for.

Just from looking at the photos of the batteries and the rack unit, I suspect that the gray ones may lower capacity because they have a set of connector terminals are the back too which joins an internal wiring bus in the rack. At least the picture of the filled rack did not show battery-interconnect cables on the front terminals, except at the ends of each string.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • TheBackRoads
    Options

Well, say they are Odyssey brand, how do they stack up against the rest? I know this is all relative, but I don't want to buy bottom of the barrel AGM batteries 2nd time around (first real set). :D
  • niel
    Options

in general i'll say that i haven't heard too much on them one way or another. if there are any out there with them they can make comment on how well they are doing.

all agms are somewhat expensive and there are some good ones out there, but for a real comparison of them all, i couldn't say on that either. i can imagine that outback would go for something that was good, but not too expensive relatively speaking, that they could slap their name to it. do know the 2 year warranty is good.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

I have the Odyssey 1800s. I discussed them in this thread.

I've only had them for 1 yr. I paid about $550 each delivered. They seem to be built very well. Though marketed primarily as a "dual purpose" battery for the marine offshore cruising world - their Tech Specs show them to have fairly decent deep cycle characteristics. For my application (Grid tie with battery back-up) their long float life is appealing.
  • niel
    Options

mtdoc,
    i knew i saw them recently, but i couldn't remember where.:confused: thanks for linking.
  • topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options

I currently have a set of enersys 12v155f's. I have no complaints. (used set at rock bottom prices). Yestersday and the previous night they get a 20 hr workout during a power outage. Racks are easy to build, Batteries are user friendy with no mess. As said by another poster, I am primarily UPS, so apples to oranges.
  • TheBackRoads
    Options

Thanks for the info :D still looking around.. not sure when I'll be able to upgrade either.. Piggy bank is feeling slim right now :roll: